Release Adventure Game Studio Games

mrdremel

Website
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to get games created in Adventure game studio to work on the Pandora? There are quite some fan-made games available, so it would be a nice addition next to ScummVM to be able to run those games.

link to website

Unfortunately you would have to contact the creators of AGS as it is currently closed-source and will not compile games to anything but windows executables.

But that's not really the problem here.AGS is actually more of an IDE and game engine than an emulator/VM program- even if they include the option to compile a game into the Pandora format (quite unlikely) it would still be up to the creators of each individual game to release a Pandora version (which they would probably not be able to debug, anyway).

fearofshorts said:
But that's not really the problem here.AGS is actually more of an IDE and game engine than an emulator/VM program- even if they include the option to compile a game into the Pandora format (quite unlikely) it would still be up to the creators of each individual game to release a Pandora version (which they would probably not be able to debug, anyway).
I got the impression that the executables AGS produces are just a stock game engine and the data.
If that was the case, it might be possible to have a Pandora engine that gets the data out of that.

Of course, it's still closed source, so that doesn't make it any easier.
It would be such a perfect addition to ScummVM too... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This has come up a few times and i'd really love to see it on the Pandora as well. If i recall correctly, there was an early Linux version floating around which *i think* the author was willing to allow work to continue on if it had willing devs and remained closed source, from the AGS FAQ..

"Q. Is AGS available for Linux?
A. There is an official Linux (Intel x86) port of the game engine, which can run AGS games created with v2.5 and later. You can find it on the Download page. There is currently no Linux version of the game editor - one may be created if there is enough demand for it."

Also, from the downloads page..

"Currently the Linux port is discontinued awaiting a Linux C++ developer who has the time and skills to take on the job of maintaining it"

So it seems if theres devs willing to maintain it, he's willing to allow it to happen. Anyone willing to take up the challenge?

Aninhumer said:
fearofshorts said:
I got the impression that the executables AGS produces are just a stock game engine and the data.
If that was the case, it might be possible to have a Pandora engine that gets the data out of that.
They are. The linux program can load the Windows EXE files that are created and load the data out of it.
A long time ago, I offered to help work on the Linux version and surreptitiously slipped in interest in doing a Pandora port on the side. He had already found someone by the time I offered, but he said he'd keep me in mind. If the Pandora had come out shortly thereafter as it was supposed to, there's a very slim chance we could have convinced him to let someone do a port. Odds are even worse now that it's been so long.
Someone may as well just reverse engineer the file format.

edit:
fade said:

"Currently the Linux port is discontinued awaiting a Linux C++ developer who has the time and skills to take on the job of maintaining it"

So it seems if theres devs willing to maintain it, he's willing to allow it to happen. Anyone willing to take up the challenge?
That's old news
An all new Linux version has been working for nearly a year (it says beta, but it's still pretty good). I didn't know it was only linked from the forum though.

WizardStan said:
fade said:

That's old news
An all new Linux version has been working for nearly a year (it says beta, but it's still pretty good). I didn't know it was only linked from the forum though.

Well that's pretty cool, apart from the fact that its only linked from the forum as you say, so really we just need an arm port of this newer beta?

This is a quote from Cpt Ezz that contacted Tom Vandepoele, aka Electroshokker on the ags forums, the maintainer of the linux port:

Cpt Ezz on 23 Mar 2010, 09:01

Hi, i have heard that you are in the prosses of making the AGS editor for Linux but i have a few questions

Firstly, When its done will it run on OMAP3 linux?
Secondly, When will it be done as many people are hoping to use it on a new handheld, being released in April called the 'Open Pandora'
Finally, Is it likely that anybody else could get the source code from Chris?

Thank you

In theory, my port will work for all linux distributions with the x86 architecture. (and after grabbing all needed 32-bit libraries, it'll also work on a 64-bit system)

It won't run on any other architectures (like the ARM processor, ...) since it's not build for that. I (or someone else) would have to explicitly compile the AGS code along with all needed libraries for that specific architecture.

For the moment, that's out of scope of this one-man team. (Though I intend to look into other platforms at some point in the future, once the current port has matured enough (aka once I know enough about the internal workings of AGS & allegro to solve any problems that arise and have sufficient free time)

As for Chris giving someone else the source code, it never hurts to ask (I did), but such a person needs to be prepared to sign a legal binding agreement as not to use the source code for anything other than building a port.

In the end, Chris is the only one who decides he wants to entrust the source code with.

Cheers,

Tom

So all someone needs to do is approach Chris and ask for the source code whilst being willing to sign any legal documents related to copyright

I would be over the moon if we could get this on the Pandora roster, I would literally squawk like an ostritch

Doomworks said:
So all someone needs to do is approach Chris and ask for the source code whilst being willing to sign any legal documents related to copyright

That may well be easier said then done. I am not sure AGS is going to come to handhelds like the Pandora (and others) without changes of heart from a few camps.

The AGS code (including the Linux port, I believe, unless something has changed in the last year) requires Allegro, which still hasn't been compiled for ARM Linux that I can find.
Actually, that "what to do with the donated Pandora" thread has given me a thought. The actual requirements of AGS aren't all that high. Once we have Allegro compiling for ARM, it's entirely possible that the x86 Linux binary could be run on the Pandora through user mode QEMU. I think Allegro is the only library we're lacking, anyway. Well, and QEMU, of course.

WizardStan said:
The AGS code (including the Linux port, I believe, unless something has changed in the last year) requires Allegro, which still hasn't been compiled for ARM Linux that I can find.
Actually, that "what to do with the donated Pandora" thread has given me a thought. The actual requirements of AGS aren't all that high. Once we have Allegro compiling for ARM, it's entirely possible that the x86 Linux binary could be run on the Pandora through user mode QEMU. I think Allegro is the only library we're lacking, anyway. Well, and QEMU, of course.

Oh crumbs, do you want to read back your post to yourself and think about the whole world of pain that will leave you in ;).

Your going to want a native ARM built version of AGS if you ever want it to be remotely usable and that will need source and the right group of people 'to jump through hoops'. Tried before, to many hoops and things that I did not want to sign up to.

I would love to see it done, people are right, it would be a great companion to ScummVM (esp. with SCI support in ScummVM improving by the day, that's your LucasArts, Sierra and some decent homebrew point and click's all covered with just the 2 apps then).

Oh, and Allegro is just fine on ARM Linux, even used it in a few projects on the GP2X/GP2XWiz back in the day. Where did you get the idea it's not ARM Linux friendly? It may not be routinely packaged up and there are some rough edges/hacks but it's not hard to get running by any means, I guess most people tend to take the SDL route or go commando and hit the hardware so it's niche is small in an already small niche ;).

DJWillis said:
Oh, and Allegro is just fine on ARM Linux, even used it in a few projects on the GP2X/GP2XWiz back in the day. Where did you get the idea it's not ARM Linux friendly? It may not be routinely packaged up and there are some rough edges/hacks but it's not hard to get running by any means, I guess most people tend to take the SDL route or go commando and hit the hardware so it's niche is small in an already small niche ;) .
I didn't mean it wasn't ARM linux friendly, just that I haven't found any binaries compatible with the Pandora, meaning it needs to be compiled from source.

AGS runtime source code got released! Check their SVN repo.

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=43383.0

[quote author=Pumaman link=topic=43383.msg576943#msg576943 date=1303865757]
Now that 3.2.1 has been released, AGS seems to be in a stable enough state to release the source code.

So, to that end I've added it to the SVN repository here:
https://svn.bigbluecup.com:7743/svn/ags/trunk
you will need the Common, NativeLibs and Engine folders within this.

I know there's been a lot of interest in this, so if you're a C++ programmer then the code is now available for your perusal. It's released under the Artistic License 2.0, as with the editor code.

You will need Visual C++ Express 2008 (this is a free download from MS). Do NOT use the 2010 version, this will probably not work and let's not complicate things at this stage by trying to use it.

In the VC++ Options, you'll need to add the /Common and /Common/libinclude folders to the VC++ Include Directories list.

DO NOT use this source code as a learning resource or a guide on best practice.
The state of the source code is VERY BAD and should in fact be considered an example of BAD PRACTICE.
Unlike the AGS Editor code which is relatively modern and a generally good standard, the engine code dates back 12 years to 1999, and has a severe case of the another-bit-being-bolted-onto-the-side disease. It also retains compatibility with old versions which means that some of the old and particularly dire code paths cannot yet be removed.
So just to be clear, YES I KNOW that the code is in a bad state. You don't need to tell me that.
I also know that AGS is used by thousands of games with thousands of combinations of game settings and script functions, and that any attempt to refactor the code into a better state is likely to inadvertently break something in someone's game, which is why I haven't attempted to do it yet.

The first important question is, does it compile for you? I'm not 100% sure that I've uploaded everything it needs into SVN, so let me know.

If you're thinking about making a change to the engine, make sure you always consider:
* How does the change affect existing games? Will it break any backwards compatibility?
* Does the change work with all colour modes (8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit)?
* Does it work with both "low-res" (320x200/320x240) and "hi-res" (640x400 upwards) co-ordinate systems?
* Does it work with both the DirectDraw and Direct3D graphics drivers?
* Is it cross-platform (ie. is there anything platform-specific that would break the Mac and Linux ports?)

[/quote]

WizardStan said:
I didn't mean it wasn't ARM linux friendly, just that I haven't found any binaries compatible with the Pandora, meaning it needs to be compiled from source.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56009-compiled-allegro-4-4-1-1-for-pandora/

I've tried them, seem to work okay

There´s a psp port of ags now with sources and binaries:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=43998.0

I have now idea if that would make it easier to port it to pandora since I have no knowledge in those things. But anyways. I thought i'd share it with you.

It's already been compiled for the Pandora by Cloudef, we're just having some difficulty getting it to start. It is rejecting every game I throw at it and I'm not sure why, it's not a very verbose error message. Hopefully I'll have some free time tonight to debug it.

WizardStan said:
It's already been compiled for the Pandora by Cloudef, we're just having some difficulty getting it to start. It is rejecting every game I throw at it and I'm not sure why, it's not a very verbose error message. Hopefully I'll have some free time tonight to debug it.

Wooot, that would be another killer-app :D

Last edited:
WizardStan said:

I'd like to respectfully ask if there have been any changes regarding the port of the AGS platform... Can't wait to get my hands on this one! :)

Back