Adobe Reader

jonlad1

I've searched, but does anyone know if Adobe Reader will be available?

Basically, no to Adobe Reader, yes to a PDF reader with similar functionality.

zhasha said:
Use Evince. It's way superior anyway.
Just LOL! :)

A colleuge of mine stopped installing Acroread on ou rLiNUX boxes and told us to use Evince.
So I used Evince often. However, Acrobat is clearly better. It offers all the options you need to read a great variaty of documents and I HATE the "hard scrolling" of Evince. I can't stand the scroll-50-pixel-rows-at-once-style of scrolling.

PS: At first I just wanted to write "LOL" as it made me LOLing (in an angry way). However, then I thought I give some statements to look a bit less then an ass ;) I know that this thread is not about Evince vs. Acrobat

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used the official PDF reader in Linux for a long time, I just use whatever the distro comes with. I'm willing to bet Ångström will have one that works.

Creature XL said:
zhasha said:

A colleuge of mine stopped installing Acroread on ou rLiNUX boxes and told us to use Evince.
So I used Evince often. However, Acrobat is clearly better. It offers all the options you need to read a great variaty of documents and I HATE the "hard scrolling" of Evince. I can't stand the scroll-50-pixel-rows-at-once-style of scrolling.

PS: At first I just wanted to write "LOL" as it made me LOLing (in an angry way). However, then I thought I give some statements to look a bit less then an ass ;) I know that this thread is not about Evince vs. Acrobat
Because smooth scrolling is totally worth 30+ second time to start a document viewer. (1.6GHz Core Duo on 1GB of RAM). Yep, acroread is simply the best. Also, what options do you need to read a document. You might want some zooming (which evince has), and scrolling (which evince has), or some rotating (which evince has), but seriously, what else do you want? I've never read a PDF document where I thought to myself: "if only this would be a hundred times slower. That way, I could down a liter of pepsi before proceeding to read my document."

Just use whatever comes with Ångström, it has to come with one. No porting needed, there are like a million for Linux.

zhasha said:
Yeah, Evince is cool, because it supports both pdf and dvju formats. But it's kinda slow. I'd recommend ePDFview for just pdf viewing.

I myself am using Foxit. Anything is better than Adobe Reader anyways. Seriously: security holes in Adobe Reader >>>> ∞^∞^∞^∞^∞/.../

zhasha said:
Creature XL said:
zhasha said:

Because smooth scrolling is totally worth 30+ second time to start a document viewer. (1.6GHz Core Duo on 1GB of RAM). Yep, acroread is simply the best. Also, what options do you need to read a document. You might want some zooming (which evince has), and scrolling (which evince has), or some rotating (which evince has), but seriously, what else do you want? I've never read a PDF document where I thought to myself: "if only this would be a hundred times slower. That way, I could down a liter of pepsi before proceeding to read my document."

Uff. here we go with the PDFReader war :)

Seriously, I am no Adobe fan boy or what ever. I just miss some featured in Evince I got used to. IFF Evince has them added lately or I was just to stupid to find them, then please enlighten me.

If you read emagz or books its often very useful to have the option "title page". If you don't have this option, ALL pages of your magazine are wrongly arranged. This is, the odd pages are on the left. In a real magazine the 1st physical page is the title page which is on the RIGHT side. Inside the magazine even pages are on the left. If you have a picture which uses the fact that page 4 is left of page 5 the picture is not viewable at once if you don't have the "title page" option.

(wow, I hope you understand what I was trying to say ;) )

2nd, zooming with the mouse. I mean, you mark an rectangle and this are gets zoomed to the full size of your PDFViewer window. this is very practical when reading epaper newspapers. You can zoom the whole article (most of the time) and can read it without using the mouse or the cursor keys to pane the view.

oh cursor keys, this is a MINOR point. In Evinve you scroll a page with the cursor keys however, to go over to the next page you have to use the PageDown/Up keys. This is OK sometimes but annoys me most of the time. However, thi sis very minor as one can get used to it ( I guess).

But just answer if you can give me advice to have the same functionality with Evince. I don't ant to talk about other pro and cons. I already feel posting this is a waste of time. So useless.

PS:
If your comment about 30+ sec was ironic, I don't care. I fire up the Acrobat and just leave it. All PDFs then open in this instance. If I don't use it much, the used RAM goes into swap space, so I don't care. Even further, I don't think it takes 30 secs to load. I have 2GHz AMD Opteron ( socket 754, so pretty old). :)

Creature XL said:
PS:
If your comment about 30+ sec was ironic, I don't care. I fire up the Acrobat and just leave it. All PDFs then open in this instance. If I don't use it much, the used RAM goes into swap space, so I don't care. Even further, I don't think it takes 30 secs to load. I have 2GHz AMD Opteron ( socket 754, so pretty old). :)

he sure was exagerating, but on my work computer I pass from roughly ~5second with adobe reader to half a second with foxit... the choice seems quite easy...

Back