Pdf Reader

sehs33

Website
Visit site
What is Adobe Reader LE?
Adobe Reader LE is a software development kit (SDK) enabling mobile users to reliably view rich PDF content on their devices. The SDK contains a set of C++ application programming interfaces (APIs), full source code, sample application, and documentation, along with a testing and verification framework for developers/OEMs to deploy the Adobe Reader LE solution quickly and efficiently. Adobe Reader LE is licensed to leading handset and consumer electronics device manufacturers and is preinstalled on a variety of devices including mobile phones, PDAs, car navigation systems, multifunction printers, eBook devices, and more.

The Adobe Reader LE SDK includes APIs, documentation, sample applications, and a testing and verification framework. Developers can use the Adobe Reader LE SDK to create mobile Adobe Reader applications across various platforms, including Symbian OS™, Windows Mobile®, Linux®, and Palm OS®.

Does this mean we can finally have a good pdf viewer? please say yes guys please :)
(Hope this one wasn't discussed before :huh: )

sehs33 posted on Dec 21 2006 at 03:56 PM said:
What is Adobe Reader LE?
Adobe Reader LE is a software development kit (SDK) enabling mobile users to reliably view rich PDF content on their devices. The SDK contains a set of C++ application programming interfaces (APIs), full source code, sample application, and documentation, along with a testing and verification framework for developers/OEMs to deploy the Adobe Reader LE solution quickly and efficiently. Adobe Reader LE is licensed to leading handset and consumer electronics device manufacturers and is preinstalled on a variety of devices including mobile phones, PDAs, car navigation systems, multifunction printers, eBook devices, and more.

The Adobe Reader LE SDK includes APIs, documentation, sample applications, and a testing and verification framework. Developers can use the Adobe Reader LE SDK to create mobile Adobe Reader applications across various platforms, including Symbian OS™, Windows Mobile®, Linux®, and Palm OS®.

Does this mean we can finally have a good pdf viewer? please say yes guys please :)
(Hope this one wasn't discussed before :huh: )
theoddbot made one using poppler which was adequate for small PDF files with no images. When trying to view large PDF files or images, it'd take ages. I'm not sure if this "Adobe Reader LE" SDK can match poppler in speed, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
"LordFu" said:
Does the pdf viewer in Qtopia not work? I've never tried it, but it has one.
Yes it works! And its fast too!

You can view everything the ordinary Adobe reader views with Adobe Reader LE, there is even a whitepaper on how to optimize PDF files for viewing on handhelds using this reader.
Had anyone tried porting it? it is an official reader guys, forget the walk arounds that we have, this one can be used on hardware with very low specifications like ordinary mobile phones, it will be perfect for GP2X.

Maybe you should have highlighted the only important part in that text?
Adobe Reader LE is licensed to leading handset and consumer electronics device manufacturers
You pay the license, and I'm sure someone will be happy to work on the code.

woogal posted on Dec 22 2006 at 12:28 PM said:
Adobe Reader LE is licensed to leading handset and consumer electronics device manufacturers

There was no need to try to sound sarcastic, you could have pointed out your point directly and you would have recieved a thank you :angry:

JK, am not a 12 years old sensitive boy :p

Honestly I believe GPH should be the one paying for the license, they disappointed some of us alot in that field, they first promised us native WMA support but they said it will be delayed because of its cost, and now that they have sold 30,000+ units they should give us a x-mas gift by licensing one/some of the virtual machines, readers or players.

Even if I had the money to license it, I don't think Adobe are willing to sell the license to individuals:

What do others think?

sehs33 posted on Dec 22 2006 at 09:22 PM said:
woogal posted on Dec 22 2006 at 12:28 PM said:

There was no need to try to sound sarcastic, you could have pointed out your point directly and you would have recieved a thank you :angry:

JK, am not a 12 years old sensitive boy :p

Honestly I believe GPH should be the one paying for the license, they disappointed some of us alot in that field, they first promised us native WMA support but they said it will be delayed because of its cost, and now that they have sold 30,000+ units they should give us a x-mas gift by licensing one/some of the virtual machines, readers or players.

Even if I had the money to license it, I don't think Adobe are willing to sell the license to individuals:

What do others think?

fair enough, but seriously (and slightly off topic), who needs .wma suport anyway?

sand_man posted on Dec 22 2006 at 03:17 PM said:
fair enough, but seriously (and slightly off topic), who needs .wma suport anyway?
I guess people who buy songs online that are in wma format and protected by DRM, but that is not me, I just want a good PDF reader

Squidge posted on Dec 22 2006 at 03:45 PM said:
I say we ignore adobe, and show them we can write a better and faster reader ourselves :)
Oh ooh, the master himself, I hope you are kidding Squidge, cause if you started working on this thing it will be a matter of hours only before all members hoping for 100% perfect SNES with transperencies come and kill me :D Am just kidding, we all love all your works, and I wish you work on this thing one day :)

Am posting in this topic and another topic started by Craig (who seems seriously interested :) ), maybe one of the mods can merge the two topics if possible.

Back