Actual specs?

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
Hello people,

I am making a little wiki on some spanish boards but, checking the specs on the website (http://pyra-handheld.com/specs.html) I noticed them are outdated. Can you please tell what are the actual ones? Things like the RAM have been updated for example.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks ThasyMG, maybe I was confused with another member post :) . The other specs are OK?

I think everything in that list has been confirmed now, except the RAM. The RAM might flux a bit, ED still hasn't decided but it's probably going to be either 2GB or 4GB; 8 is highly unlikely.

Its a device you can put in you pocket, and it will have 2 to 4 gb, i remember the times, where a 4gb Mp3 Player was much bigger..,
I think I remember that, too :) My brother had an MP2? player which plays music from a VCD :) I don't remember who said it but

Just Pandora was a miracle for me, what do you think I think about Pyra?
with better English :D

RAM needs to be kept in perspective.  This is not a Windows on X86 device.

The CC Pandora had 256MB.  Yes, 1/4 of 1GB.  It ran an entire Linux OS and can run about 90%+ of the Linux programs in existence.

The 1Ghz Pandora had 512MB.  1/2 of 1GB.  So far I am not aware of any game, program or software that can be compiled for ARM that fit into the processor's capacity that was RAM restricted.  I.e. the RAM wasn't preventing execution.

If the Pyra has 2GB of RAM, there is only one known scenario where that might not be enough:  X86 virtual machines.  Note, this is not the same as running DosBox or Exagear, but an X86 virtual machine would be expected to load and run one or more entire X86 Linux or Windows or other OS in a self contained processing space.  For that, 4GB or 8GB would be beneficial.

The more RAM it has, the more it costs AND the more power it consumes.   To go to 4GB might only cost $50 more for the chips, but that would be $50 more per unit for everyone - and 95%+ of people are not going to use more than 2GB.

I'm betting that some day, toward the last quarter of it's product life cycle, a "Maxed out" Pyra might get made.  Much like the 1Ghz Pandora, it would use the maximum possible configuration available with the then existing hardware.  We're 4+ years from that scenario though.

Thanks all for the information. Another question the people is asking. Where are the components from? I know the PCBs are going to be made on Europe (Germany?) and the case from Greece. I was investigating and I think the rotator chip is coming from Hong Kong so I think them are made on China but, What is the procedence of the speakers and the screen for example? Is there any information about this?

Thanks all for the information. Another question the people is asking. Where are the components from? I know the PCBs are going to be made on Europe (Germany?) and the case from Greece. I was investigating and I think the rotator chip is coming from Hong Kong so I think them are made on China but, What is the procedence of the speakers and the screen for example? Is there any information about this?
If I'm not mistaken I believe BOE is the Chosen LCD, Their headquarters are in China, they have divisions all over Asia. It seems China is a fairly popular place to setup a business now. 

Speakers no idea... 

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1Ghz Pandora had 512MB.  1/2 of 1GB.  So far I am not aware of any game, program or software that can be compiled for ARM that fit into the processor's capacity that was RAM restricted.  I.e. the RAM wasn't preventing execution.
Some of the newer software (and the odd older one too) requires a swap file to run though.  Four times the RAM on the Pyra should really minimise the number of programs that need that thoughl

Some of the newer software (and the odd older one too) requires a swap file to run though.  Four times the RAM on the Pyra should really minimise the number of programs that need that thoughl
You are talking about ported software, not stuff made for ARM-based systems.  Some of the ported stuff is X86 software.  

I just woke up, so pardon me if I make no sense, or am wrong.

You are talking about ported software, not stuff made for ARM-based systems.  Some of the ported stuff is X86 software.  

I just woke up, so pardon me if I make no sense, or am wrong.
Still it needs the amount of memory it needs as "port" means recompilation, so no other piece of software in place that is needed for emulation or such things that would eat a chuck of available memory. At such a high abstraction level most software is made nowadays, optimizations you can do on a code level will usually be platform independent (highly specialized software, especially in low resource environments, like emulators, are an exception of course).

Otherwise was Levi said.

@ thread creator: just slap "Made in China" on everything you have no extra information about, you will be right at least 95% of the time

4GB for RAM then, just to be safe in the future?  It might help me out a little for some things I want to do, but I have been saying that for a long time.

RAM needs to be kept in perspective. This is not a Windows on X86 device.

The CC Pandora had 256MB. Yes, 1/4 of 1GB. It ran an entire Linux OS and can run about 90%+ of the Linux programs in existence.

The 1Ghz Pandora had 512MB. 1/2 of 1GB. So far I am not aware of any game, program or software that can be compiled for ARM that fit into the processor's capacity that was RAM restricted. I.e. the RAM wasn't preventing execution.

If the Pyra has 2GB of RAM, there is only one known scenario where that might not be enough: X86 virtual machines. Note, this is not the same as running DosBox or Exagear, but an X86 virtual machine would be expected to load and run one or more entire X86 Linux or Windows or other OS in a self contained processing space. For that, 4GB or 8GB would be beneficial.

The more RAM it has, the more it costs AND the more power it consumes. To go to 4GB might only cost $50 more for the chips, but that would be $50 more per unit for everyone - and 95%+ of people are not going to use more than 2GB.

I'm betting that some day, toward the last quarter of it's product life cycle, a "Maxed out" Pyra might get made. Much like the 1Ghz Pandora, it would use the maximum possible configuration available with the then existing hardware. We're 4+ years from that scenario though.
As you can swap the SoC from the motherboard for another one, a maxed out Pyra wouldn't be relevant, new SoC with more power would be, and it would be fairer for the first buyers that support ED from the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a valid point, 2GB should be more than enough for now, and a couple years down the road if it needs more ED can start producing them with 4GB of RAM, or even an entirely new SoC, and people can pay the $150 or whatever it would cost to upgrade.

The more RAM it has, the more it costs AND the more power it consumes.   To go to 4GB might only cost $50 more for the chips, but that would be $50 more per unit for everyone - and 95%+ of people are not going to use more than 2GB.
Very true. :) I'm surfing here right now on my old CC Pandora with 256 MB RAM over Pale Moon which is basicly an straight PC port of an non-mobile Firefox based Browser. I don't recommend to open more than a handful tabs but it works.

So 2GB RAM 6MB sounds like more than enough, assuming that the Pyra OS is not more bloated than the Pandora OS. ^^

One question about the Pyra RAM: Does "Dual Channel" exist in the mobile SoC world?

Back