display graining solved?

S

sulu

Hello,

I'm considering to pre-order a Pyra. It pretty much hinges on whether the problem with the display graining, as described here [1], will still exist in the final units.
Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find any definitive answer. Can someone please clarify this?

I'm also not sure when I should pre-order. I'm not in a hurry. I may actually prefer to get one of the last units. My idea behind this is, that if (despite of the apparently very thorough prototyping) some minor problems are found during the first assemblies or by the very first end-users, there might be a chance to fix this in later units right away.
Does this make sense? And if so, should I delay my pre-order or can I ask to get one of the latter slots in the queue?

[1] https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/one-week-with-the-pyra.77116/

We're working on that :)
The same company that made the touchscreens for the Pandora will receive a set with a working EVM and LCD from us, so that they can directly work with the display and make sure everything works.

This will add us another 30.000 USD to our costs, but thanks to the fact that almost everyone ordered the 4GB version, this should work out :)

Another option would be to replace the LCDs for free later if someone wants it changed (some users don't even realize it's a bit grainy, it seems some are more receptable for it), but I want to fix it upfront.

BOE has offered us to remove the current touchscreen for free from all the 1000 displays it had been applied to already, so we only need to pay for the new touchscreen and the application.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I gathered so far.
I take it, you'll announce the final solution in this matter (preferably with pictures). I'll wait with my pre-order until then.

We're working on that :)
The same company that made the touchscreens for the Pandora will receive a set with a working EVM and LCD from us, so that they can directly work with the display and make sure everything works.

This will add us another 30.000 USD to our costs, but thanks to the fact that almost everyone ordered the 4GB version, this should work out :)

Another option would be to replace the LCDs for free later if someone wants it changed (some users don't even realize it's a bit grainy, it seems some are more receptable for it), but I want to fix it upfront.

BOE has offered us to remove the current touchscreen for free from all the 1000 displays it had been applied to already, so we only need to pay for the new touchscreen and the application.
I didn't realise, that there's a new touchscreen involved. I only recall you saying, that the found solution was to glue the touchscreen to the LCD to have no air in between, which then should make up for a good, much clearer image. What am I missing?

I didn't realise, that there's a new touchscreen involved. I only recall you saying, that the found solution was to glue the touchscreen to the LCD to have no air in between, which then should make up for a good, much clearer image. What am I missing?

That was planned (called bonding), but unfortunately, it turned out that this doesn't work with the LCD we use.

Back