Ac Adapter Specs

chalito

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and I just got my precious little gp2x. I bought it from the US and had it shipped (I live in Argentina), but I didn't buy the AC adapter because that may cause problem in customs (electric safety policies).

So here's the thing: I'm trying to get a compatible adapter, but I can't find the original ac adapter specs. Could someone who has it post the details here? voltage, amperage, polarity, etc.

thanks!

There's plenty of posts about adaptor specs...

and it's even mentioned in the gp2x manual and gp2x itself :)

Shikaku posted on Jul 19 2006 at 04:27 PM said:
Goity posted on Jul 19 2006 at 12:25 PM said:
3v, 1000mah, neg polarity

Regulated.

DC
I thought that it was 3.3Vdc/1A, not 3V

People who've got the standard gp2x psu are able to see divx movies in tv-out?
My power supply deliver 3.6V/1A and still not good enough to score a divx movie into tv-out

Last edited by a moderator:
Lint posted on Jul 19 2006 at 04:57 PM said:

Regulated.

DC

My power supply deliver 3.6V/1A and still not good enough to score a divx movie into tv-out
I don't understand what you mean.

The power MUST be regulated, that means it shouldn't fluctuate under load. AFAIK the jack bypasses the voltage regulator so the voltage must come in very clean.

You could test this with a digital voltage meter while you are trying to do various things, the voltage should stay constant, not move around.

Another thought would be to connect power to the battery terminals, that way the internal regulator can take care of it for you.

nubie posted on Jul 19 2006 at 09:22 PM said:
Lint posted on Jul 19 2006 at 04:57 PM said:

Regulated.

DC

The power MUST be regulated, that means it shouldn't fluctuate under load. AFAIK the jack bypasses the voltage regulator so the voltage must come in very clean.

You could test this with a digital voltage meter while you are trying to do various things, the voltage should stay constant, not move around.

Another thought would be to connect power to the battery terminals, that way the internal regulator can take care of it for you.

Sorry guys, I didn't see the posts.. my bad. However I couldn't find the specs on the unit.. but 3.3v/1A/center negative regulated will do. thanks a lot!

lower right corner of the lable on the back "Adapter: 3,3v 100ma" on the rubber on the left "dc"
Im quite sure its also mentione in the manual.

Vimacs posted on Jul 20 2006 at 11:05 AM said:
lower right corner of the lable on the back "Adapter: 3,3v 100ma" on the rubber on the left "dc"
Im quite sure its also mentione in the manual.

weird, mine just says "Tested to Comply with FCC Standards. FOR HOME OR PERSONAL USE" and that's about it. The stuff on the left of the label is in korean =P

nubie posted on Jul 20 2006 at 12:22 AM said:

Things are not always the way we wanted it to :rolleyes:

What we mean with "regulated" power supply is meaning that it will not rise up to 7Vdc under very easy load conditions (so end up burning any 3.3V/30mA circuit) and also whould not go as low as 2Vdc under nominal maximum load

But anything +/- 10% the nominal tension value should be acceptable, of course lesser the variation means better PSU
It's impossible to keep on a exactly same voltage with a circuit complex like a processor as each instruction processed would consume a different amount of power, so that's one of the reasons why we put capacitors nearby CPU sockets :-]
It's very common to find circuits that have separeted grounds, one ground for digital fast-switching circuitry and other for analog voltage-sensitive signals

As squidge told me that with 3.6V it runs ok (I knew that, but wasn't going to try out into my brand new gp2x :ph34r: so my very thanx squidge :lol:) and even beyond that, to 3.8V

So, it would be nice to have a ideal 3.3V psu wich no matter what you do the voltage keep on 3.3V, but there's nothing like this, we can just get close to that enough so what we want to work stay working

I found out that the problem with my PSU is specifically with an episode of Robot Chicken, as I could watch The Simpsons and Bromwell High yesterday with no further worries (it's probably because both episodes were into 320x240, but I'm not sure about that)

Anyone know the specs on a psp adapter? any chance it will work with gp2x?

lol i can't seem to find any adapters that are "regulated" on my local stores websites. (Bestbuy, circuit city, target, etc) I would just order the official one but i don't want to wait for it to ship. I have to leave mid day tomorrow and wont be back home for a week, my batteries won't get here till monday/tuesday im so SCREWED. lol Dam I really don't want to pay 40 dollars for a radioshack universial adapter -_- and I know that 800mah won't work

hmm, I do have a tv out cable but then again, putting full size movies on a card can take up space quick, maybe i should just get the 800mah and use 2700mah batteries for tv out. thanks for the input!

Back