About the SD storage...

Kharg

Still Fresh
Hi ED,

My question is: What is the maximum capacity supported by the Pandora? I am asking this because here http://boards.openpandora.org/page/homepage.html it's stated that you can add up to 256 gb of sd storage (2x128gb)

but when you click it (http://www.openpandora.org/index.html#!connectivity) it says " dual SD card slots mean you can double up on the storage and are future-proof up to a possible 4 terabytes of storage at the theoretical 2TB maximum capacity of SDXC cards."

So, will the new 512gb sd card by Sandisk work? 
sd-sdextremePRO-512g.jpg
and what about 256 gb sd card by Lexar or PNY? 

King regards,

Kharg.

Last edited by a moderator:
The theoretical maximum is the theoretical maximum. The other statement was probably based on the largest SD cards available at the time of writing.

Any "SDXC" card will work (some cards don't work properly with certain file systems and stuff, but that has nothing to do with their capacity).

It's not really a question if pandora supports those cards, but if those cards want to support pandora. What I mean is it depends on the controller inside of the card, if it doesn't mind operating in slower (pre-UHS) frequencies. It has nothing to do with size, pandora should be able to go upto 2TB.

Cards have to support slow frequencies anyway for the initialization sequence to work, as the startup always happens on slowest possible speed (400kHz I think), the card reports how large it is and what modes it supports, then the host chooses what it likes, informs the card and they both switch to faster speed. Pandora can go upto 24MHz (IIRC), newer device hosts can do 208MHz and DDR. So I think it doesn't make sense for manufacturers to not support slower speeds for normal data transfers (they must include all logic for init sequence anyway) and it's very likely it will work on pandora.

But there are those UHS-II cards wit extra pins (so sort of different hardware interface), I wonder if pandora would still work with those:

Fujifilm_X-T1_35834938_05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 128GB SD only seems to work when it wants. It is kind of iffy so I don't use it as much.Sometimes I'll play a game on it and it won't always want to save my progress :p . So I guess it is like what is stated up above, it is whether or not the SD wants to work for the Pandora.

Back