A, Y, B, X - what should they be called?

What name do you think is best for referring to the Pandora's A, Y, B, and X buttons (those to the r

• Action buttons

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Game buttons

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Other / Not applicable (Feel free to clarify.)

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Christoph.Krn

Advanced Member
A Pandora's A, Y, B, and X buttons are basically nameless. People are using several different names for them, which only makes matters worse. So, I'm asking:

What name do you think is best for referring to the Pandora's A, Y, B, and X buttons (those to the right of the right nub)?

Feel free to elaborate on your choice!

Here is my personal reasoning: I generally prefer using the term "Action buttons" over the other favorite alternative "Game buttons" (or "Gaming buttons"; where "GAME BUTTONS" is also used on page 22 of MWeston's Pandora Hackers Manual v1.01), because on the Pandora, basically every button that is not part of the keyboard could be understood as being a 'gaming' button. Additionally, A, Y, B, and X are not exclusively being used in games.

How about calling them 'ABXY buttons' ?
Sentences like "To jump, press B from the ABXY buttons." are quite unfortunate, if you ask me.

LOL! :lol:

I vote for 'Gaming' cause that part of the keyboard is obviously like a gamepad... I mean even the 'Numeric keypad' on normal PC keyboards has other functions, but if you name it, the eyes goes there...

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote goes for "ABXY buttons". It rolls off the tongue and keeps the conversation flowing.

D.

I use "game buttons"/"gaming buttons", myself, as in appearance they're readily recognisable as this.

The term "action buttons" is mildly confusing to me, because any button can perform an action, and many games specifically refer to one particular button as *the* "action button".

yeah game buttons make sense, action buttons I would be saying WTF are action buttons.

I've always referred to the buttons as Face buttons apart from the megadrive where they were labelled as Triggers.

There is the DPad which can mean either digital or directional pad, the face buttons which are anything on the face towards you, and shoulder buttons are the L and R buttons.

^ I've only ever seen "ABXY" used, there, given the alphabetical order and the fact that X and Y were later additions... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
69milions for the NES VS 49millions for the SNES... sure nowadays SNES games seems better, they have nicer graphics while still being interesting to play. it seems to be the right balance between look/fun...

Back