A Sign of a dying LCD-Cable?

Newfarmy

Still Fresh
Hi Guys!

MY PRECIOUS (sorry, reading too much LOTR lately :lol: ) just got back from EDs workshop (2. SD-Slot was not working and a crack at the hinge had appeared) and i happily fired it up - two minutes later the screen started to flicker and went all black. It did not even show the Pandora-Logo at startup. An hour later i tried it again and it suddenly worked - until now. The screen was flickering like wild again and didn't stop. Closing the lid and placing it in a different angel didn't help :(

Is this a sign of a dying LCD-Cable? I hope not, i don't want to sent it away again. Maybe anyone has any sugestions?

Thanks in advance!

Could be, although usually that is signalled by different to normal hues and colours being displayed at some and then all angles. This sounds slightly more like the LCD cables connector is loose. Not sure if you can open here up and make that adjustment though and its probably best to wait for someone more in the know, such as ED to respond here.

All units I get are being replaced with a new LCD Cable as well, so I don't think the cable is broken.

Might be the PCB (hopefully not) or maybe the LCD cable connector popped open during shipping.

What was wrong with your unit when you sent it to me?

Da hat der zweite SD-Slot nicht funktioniert und am linken Schanier hat sich ein Riss gebildet, der langsam länger wurde obwohl die Pandora zwei Wochen unbenutzt im Regal lag.

The secons SD-Slot didn't work and the left hinge developed a crack which slowly got longer though the Pandora was unused for two weeks on my shelf.

@alerino

The battery was the first thing that came to my mind, though i powered it up with the adapter plugged it. After the screen totaly failed the first time i removed the battery and the adapter for a few minutes and fired it up without battery and just the plug. The screen still didn't work. I tried after an hour or so and it worked again.

Today after i finished trimming my gardenlawn i wanted to relax a bit with Indy3 and after, say, ten minutes the flickering started again.

Ah, here we go again:

While typing this i switchted the unit on and left it standing right beside me. Now it's starting again, the screen comes and goes. I fetched my camcorder just in time before the screen completly died again. The picture is a bit dark, but i think you can see the screen properly enough.

Attachments

• FILE0061.MOV
    3.5 MB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, if the second SD slot was broken, I replaced it with a new PCB, so it might be the PCB has issues (bad soldering, could be because of that oxidation)

That, or the cable really isn't properly in the connector.

That is one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. :-(

My Pandora is in for a LCD cable replacement as well. I'm not sure if EvilDragon has had a chance to get around to it yet. But it was funny when I shipped it and the person at the post office told me it would take between 3 weeks and two months to arrive at its destination. I chuckled to myself and thought "Yeah, Two Months. That sounds about right."

That is one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. :-(

My Pandora is in for a LCD cable replacement as well. I'm not sure if EvilDragon has had a chance to get around to it yet. But it was funny when I shipped it and the person at the post office told me it would take between 3 weeks and two months to arrive at its destination. I chuckled to myself and thought "Yeah, Two Months. That sounds about right."

Lucky me, i live in Germany, so it takes usually only one or two days. I was just so happy when i got it back from repairs and now i have to send it back again :( That means i have to take my DSi along on the train to university now and no such cool unique thing as the Pandora. Oh well, i'll get over it and will be even more happy when i get it back again B)

My Pandora is having an LCD cable issue too. Different blueish hues than normal. Could usually remedy it by changing the position of the screen, but it now cannot be remedied.

Ed, can i just replace the cable myself? If so, it would save you extra work :p

Hi Guys!

MY PRECIOUS (sorry, reading too much LOTR lately :lol: ) just got back from EDs workshop (2. SD-Slot was not working and a crack at the hinge had appeared) and i happily fired it up - two minutes later the screen started to flicker and went all black. It did not even show the Pandora-Logo at startup. An hour later i tried it again and it suddenly worked - until now. The screen was flickering like wild again and didn't stop. Closing the lid and placing it in a different angel didn't help :(

Is this a sign of a dying LCD-Cable? I hope not, i don't want to sent it away again. Maybe anyone has any sugestions?

Thanks in advance!

This tends to be how the new LCD cables 'fail' although it's often more to do with the board itself in these cases, but it could just need to be pushed in to the board a touch more.

I'm fixing loads of LCD issues today and they can be so random.

Back