OpenPandora and smartwatches

mstn

Still Fresh
Hello,

while I am waiting my open pandora (unfortunately, I have to wait more than two weeks :( ), I am having day dreams about the possible uses of my new toy. 

I would like to share the Internet connection of a phone with OpenPandora. However, I do not want to buy a smartphone because I do not need it. Hence, I thought it could be cool to find a phone smartwatch with gsm and gps embedded. In this way I can throw away my dumb phone and make phone calls using bt headsets.

However, most of them are smartphone accessories, that is, they use a smartphone for Internet connections and calls. There are few standalone phone smartwatches, but they run Android and are quite big and I do not want to replicate Open Pandora functionalities on another device. I need just a simple gsm/gps access point. The feature to display some notifications on the watch could be nice, but nothing more than very simple text messages.

Do you have any idea? I am looking for a smartwatch, but anything portable with a screen is ok.

Thanks

Marco

I wonder what kind of smiley I could use after nearly 5years of wait...

Note that I'm not aware of any US retailers selling such things. What you're going to need to do is trust a Chinese manufacturer.

That being said, the VEGA 3G watch has some good recommendations. The site looks a little flaky but it's the only place to get it it seems, such is the nature of "niche" products.

edit: a general google search for "3g phone watch" returns a lot of options. You're going to need to do a LOT of research in order to find something in your price range with the features you want that won't scam you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your suggestions. However, i'm Watch and Vega are too much smart.

I need something very simple, a sort of MiFi plus some logging capabilities.

NanoSmart from WiMe seems cool, too (but it does not have gps).

It is cheap and it runs a custom linux, but I was not able to find out more information (I sent them an email) about the OS (can I ssh on it?)

and on how much hackable it is (the same holds for the sWaPs).

An alternative could be a MiFi running linux (it is not comfortable like a watch, but it is portable anyway). I am doing some research...

But I do not think it is possible to make calls easily.

The LG GD910? It's about $100, very basic phone, 3G, Bluetooth, no GPS though. You'll need to ask some questions from the manufacturer though: it doesn't have wifi but it may be possible to share the internet via bluetooth.

That's going to be the most difficult feature to find, I think, getting a phone watch that can also share its data connection.

Data connection uses massive amounts of battery, if you want to use it over bluetooth its even worse. If you only need that, why not a usb 3g dongle. Or one of the new fancy SD card 3d dongles.

Ask the guys at #replicant on freenode about free software 3g dongles or use it as a resource for free phonery.

Thanks comradekingu, you are right. A dongle or a MiFi access point.

Back