A Poor Man''s Pandora

optional106

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi all,
Interesting preview article here for a touch screen laptop, with gaming buttons.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/8...id-netbook-tips

Although not directly comparable to the pandora, I think that companies are starting to see that the possible market of a portable PC with gaming controls isn't quite as niche as expected.
I'm sure that people would buy a model with gaming controls over a model without, (obviously only if the internals were good).
I'm sure that it would make playing some games slightly more interesting, although no match for a real joypad yet.

Now this china model sports ' similar' ( in the broadest sense) seven inch display with 800 x 480 WVGA resolution, has 128MB of DDR2 memory, 1GB NAND flash and runs on an ARM 11 533 MHz 32bit CPU.
SD card slot x1, also with wifi.
I like how they used the flippable tablet mode, obvioulsy Pandora could not due to patent restrictions but obviously this model either disregards restrictions , or changed it sufficiently to be different.

I think that there will be increasingly similar models like this in future, although we all know that the pandora project was way ahead.
I'm not worried as hopefully Pandora will be shipping in the next few months, but competition is a good thing, as it drives innovation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora: gaming controls, excellent battery life, high-powered CPU/GPU, all in a pocket-sized form factor.
Laptop: high-powered CPU/GPU, x86 software...
Laptop with gaming controls: gaming controls, high-powered CPU/GPU.........

These guys are still Completely MIssing The Point.
It's not about the controls, it's about having a full PC that can compile its own software IN YOUR POCKET.
I do not want any more 'revolutions' in laptops. I do not want thinner, more stupid-looking laptops.

I want pocket computers. This is not hard to figure out.

But other than the company's total failure to sell what I'm interested in, yeah, it's an interesting idea.

Picture seems like thats only project on paper, and also i dont think its smart move to put d-pad and buttons near screen. They'll need to add some really hard plastic there and double the size of the plastic to give ergonomic values.

BTW. if you push d-pad / buttons too much you'll damage the screen... hows about that? Chinese inventorz -> Nice try but, next time try harder...

Everything about it is not as powerful, as pandora. More coparable to a wiz spec-wise...

Edit: And it looks very cheap, too.

I'll start typing and see if I wake up in Other Consoles. :)

I think optional106 is well aware that there is no comparison to Pandora. It's definitely interesting to the the first trickles of ARM netbooks, and it'll be even more interesting to see where they're at in a year or so.

Nice to see someone else at least thinking about gaming controls. But never fear Pandora fans; I'm sure we'll be ruling that heap for a while. ;)

Interesting device. Not directly comparable to the Pandora which isn't $100 and doesn't have Ethernet, swively screen (POSSIBLY a 7" rouchscreen though the touchy bit seems dubious), 1GB of NAND, built-in camera or 3G like this new toy supposedly does.

If that screen really IS swivelly then they had little choice but to put the gaming controls (such as they are) on the screen side as otherwise the screen would cover them when in tablet mode! I have some doubts that the screen is as capable as the (sneering) review states though. This looks like another case of chinese whispers reportage to me.

Interesting device. $100? Not the perfect machine, but perhaps an indicator that netbook designers are starting to pay a little more attention to gaming.

'Gruso' said:
I think optional106 is well aware that there is no comparison to Pandora. It's definitely interesting to the the first trickles of ARM netbooks, and it'll be even more interesting to see where they're at in a year or so.
I don't think that anyone in the forum would consider it a rival, no one would trade in a pandora for any thing like this :p
But yes, this is my point exactly, considering this is a first model, subsequent models will definitely improve.... especially if any mainstream companies decide to look into it.

Does this not belong in 'Other consoles' http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showforum=28 or something? Or better yet, in the bin. Yes there are other consoles/handhelds/laptops/giraffes that have some features that are simliar/same as the Pandora. But it's like buying a new car and then someone telling you 'What did you buy that for? There is now a CHEAPER car that has all the same features (steering wheel, 4 wheels, brakes, windows) for less, from China.'

Or that's my personal view on the topic anyway.

Steve

For $100 it looks pretty reasonable to me. If I didn't have the money for a Pandora, this is probably what I would get. Fortunately, I do have the extra to spend on a Pandora (which is well worth the extra, make no mistake)

For that netbook ($100) you got
ARM 11 533 MHz
128MB of DDR2
7" 800 x 480
*** Arm netbook

For Pandora ($330) you got
ARM Cortex 600Mhz + 430MHz DSP Core + PowerVR SGX
256MB DDR-333 SDRAM
4.3" 800x480
*** A little bigger than NDS

It's up to you.

- If you need device mostly for internet.
Netbook might better for you bigger screean better keyboard.

- If you need device mostly for gameing that have brower.
NDSi or psp is your to choose. it's have more game.

- If you need device mostly for multimedia, you prefer freeware, you wish to make your program and run legally or you going to used it for internet but mind it's size.
Pandora is your to chose. faster, better resolution, more freeware and still fit in pocket.

Looks alright to me. What I'm wondering about, is how well Android is suited to it. Wasn't Android designed more for handheld devices, rather than laptops? I'm not sure it would be an issue, but it may limit the usefulness of the applications available.

Gaming controls next to the screen could work, as long as the casing is designed well. Tablet mode would also make this feel a lot more like a gaming device than a laptop.

Those gaming controls right on the side of the screen remind me heavily of the OLPC, grandaddy of all netbooks.

OLPC_XO_3.jpg

200px-LaptopOLPC_b.jpg

This doesn't look bad at all. I don't believe the 100$ though. I've seen more reports of small laptops that would be 100$ and every time at launchdate they appear to be much more expensive.

First seeing, than believing. When it is priced that cheap I am certainly interested. I already have an android phone so would be great to have a small android laptop next to it.

put4558350 said:
For that netbook ($100) you got
ARM 11 533 MHz
128MB of DDR2
7" 800 x 480
*** Arm netbook

For Pandora ($330) you got
ARM Cortex 600Mhz + 430MHz DSP Core + PowerVR SGX
256MB DDR-333 SDRAM
4.3" 800x480
*** A little bigger than NDS

It's up to you.

- If you need device mostly for internet.
Netbook might better for you bigger screean better keyboard.

- If you need device mostly for gameing that have brower.
NDSi or psp is your to choose. it's have more game.

- If you need device mostly for multimedia, you prefer freeware, you wish to make your program and run legally or you going to used it for internet but mind it's size.
Pandora is your to chose. faster, better resolution, more freeware and still fit in pocket.
*sigh* Once again. No one is trying to decide between this and Pandora. Spec comparisons are not needed, we all know the specs. It's just a thread about a different device.

I would decide between this and a Wiz though.

I like the size of the screen, although a d-pad and four buttons might be considered "gaming controls" if your idea of gaming is NES or Master System.

I don't know about $100, but I would be interested if it was.

I'll seriously consider this especially if it really comes out at 100$ (which is nothing, I mean you can buy a handful of candy with it or something). I really like the swivel, which should make this a good ebook/comic reader and the form factor might be decent for games as well. Too bad it wasn't touchscreen as that would make rts's etc. work nicely with this. But with all the good stuff coming out in the near future, I think the chances of me getting a pandora are getting slimmer all the time.

Back