"a" Game Button Doesn't Function

Garrick

Still Fresh
Hey all, got my beauty today but alas the 'A' game button does not appear to function. Anything I could try before returning it? Other than that I'm generally impressed but its a bit of a game changer losing the 'A' game button ;p

I gave that a read prior to posting but that sort of suggest the button works to some degree. I was having so much fun till I tried pandora panic ;p

though saying that it maybe the case it is always firing...

Any easy of monitoring it's input?

mali said:
Does the button have travel? Does it "click"?

No it does not.. It actually has NO free movement down . The button works when you press on it, just no free movement or click. Not like the other buttons.

Sorry, thought that this was the tread I started... - Funny.. Quite a few people have problems with the A button. Can we now tag it as
" The 'A' Button Syndrome "

Carry on....

- Eisner

Last edited by a moderator:
In honesty I can't tell any difference with it's press and any others. (apart from the lack of what I was expecting to happen :p )

It maybe a little looser feeling but I'm not sure if that's just me thinking it...

^ So if it has the same travel as the other buttons, it's likely the carbon pad is dirty or damaged. You can try "to break it in" a while and check if it works then. I'm no Linux person, so I don't know how you can monitor keypresses. Any emulator that uses the 'A' button should suffice, I think.

Cunning plan, it doesn't appear to be firing.

The only reason I thought it was is for some reason I fall through the floors on Wiz'n'liz for the genesis which is a button command. Not sure why thats happening.

But I can't can't throw a light punch in SFA2 for the snes :(

^ According to MWeston, some keys might be covered with white stuff, sometimes the carbon is completely missing. He thinks that moving a button and pressing it hard for a while might revive it. I haven't heard stories of success yet, though. It's likely you'll have to send it back.

mali said:
I'm no Linux person, so I don't know how you can monitor keypresses.
I believe the command to see button presses, etc. is "xev" as in X-events, but I think I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't part of the default installation and there may have been issues getting it from the angstrom repo. I'm pretty sure that's the program I usedto figure out the hex codes of random media buttons so I could make a custom xmodmap a few years ago.

Edit: There it was: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54616-how-do-i-ctrl-c/page__view__findpost__p__880033

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that Jasay, alas it doesn't trigger anything :(

I've been told to return it, how painful :(

Back