A few last questions before ordering

RichiH

Still Fresh
I am keeping this post updated along with answers that were given, already

1) Can I charge the Pandora via USB?
Yes.

2) Can the Pandora act as an USB client, as well? I.e. as a mass storage device. Possibly even as an oversized card reader ;)

3) Will the USB outlets be able to provide full power? I.e. can I attach an external USB drive and power it, as well? Having to use an Y-cable, hogging both USB outlets is just fine.
Yes. Not sure if it is 500 mA per port or for both ports, though.

4) Does the Pandora support SDIO for stuff like GPS cards, etc?
Yes.

5) What WiFi chipset is being used? Will I be able to run Kismet, aircrack-ng etc with it?

6) What is the expected shipping date?
Middle of November.

7) Can I shut off the screen completely so I can use the Pandora as an OGG player?
Yes.

8) Does the space around the solder points allow for a GPS chip, including antenna, to be put in? Do they allow for enough bandwidth, pins, etc?
Probably not. Apparently, the solder points are meant for dev stuff, but you can't put the hardware back into the case.

9) Can I remap all the keys on the keyboard to a layout I prefer?

== Original post below ==

Hi all,

sorry if I am asking about old stuff, but with the old forums down...

2) Can the Pandora act as an USB client, as well? I.e. as a mass storage device. Possibly even as an oversized card reader ;)
3) Will the USB outlets be able to provide full power? I.e. can I attach an external USB drive and power it, as well? Having to use an Y-cable, hogging both USB outlets is just fine.
5) What WiFi chipset is being used? Will I be able to run Kismet, aircrack-ng etc with it?
7) Can I shut off the screen completely so I can use the Pandora as an OGG player?

As you can see, I am more in the market for a _ultra_portable than for a gaming handheld.

Thanks,
Richard

PS: Inline replies would probably work best as I asked quite a few questions.

YES
I believe it could be
It carries the standard 5v
I believe it does, although you would need the right drivers for it.
Not sure
Mid november
Yes you can

Gruso said:
You'll also find this useful: http://www.pandorawiki.org/FAQ :)

Yes, I am going through that section, now. Figures I would find that _after_ posting my initial thread. The thread linking to it should be made sticky for the benefit of all :)
Also, the wiki should be linked from openpadora.org's main page :)

I will update my question list after reading the FAQ. The extra solder points sound extremely interesting. Spatial sensing, here I come (though _that_ one should be in the default hardware set. That would ensure a lot of people would use it)

The USB will be fully powered (500 milliamps). You'll be able to use anything that has drivers.
via http://www.pandorawiki.org/Pandora

Apparently you could solder more things to the board, but you'd not be able to fit it back into the Pandora. Things are pretty cramped in there as is.

8) Does the space around the solder points allow for a GPS chip, including antenna, to be put in? Do they allow for enough bandwidth, pins, etc?
Probably not. Apparently, the solder points are meant for dev stuff, but you can't put the hardware back into the case.
As it has BlueTooth the easiest way would just be to use a bluetooth GPS. They are small, cheap, and mostly much better than the typical built-in GPS chipsets (and you avoid problems with antenna sensitivity/position)

Tor: I don't like any external stuff dangling around. It needs to be one package. I will prolly get a SDIO GPS card for that.

Jake: ?

Mithrildor: Software remapping is all I want, but I need to be able to do it in the stock firmware, as well. Due to the open nature, it will probably work, anyway. I want to be sure, though :)

Back