A Few General Questions

Russell88

Still Fresh
Seeing as how the GPX2 is a massive battery hog, I'm curious if I could simply plug it into an outlet and play? As in does it have a cable device that just lets you use it as opposed to using batteries?

I wouldn't mind the trade off, not being able to be mobile with it and all that.

Anyone?

Can you play the GPX2 when it's charging?

Also, can you play it hooked up to your TV while it's charging?

The power adapter is only for powering the gp2x. The gp2x does not charge the batteries when plugged into the power adapter.

And can you use the GPX2 with your TV while it's being powered by the adapter...?

Yeah. That using wall power and TV-out should not be a problem at all.

Just make sure you get the correct power adapter. Correct voltage, current, and top polarity.

Russell88 said:
Is it really that specific, getting the right adaptors and what not?
Pretty much, Yeah.

3 or 3.3 volts
~1.0 Amp (1000 milliamps), More is good.
Centre negative polarity
powerplug-negative.jpg

That should do it, BUT be VERY careful with universal power supplies, As it is quite easy to forget to change to the correct voltage or polarity when using that adaptor with multiple devices.

I killed one of my GP32`s doing exactly that. :(

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't leave batteries in the GP2X when the wall adapter is plugged in. Unless something's changed I remember that being a no-no (due to bad hardware design)

Russell88 said:
Ah, okay. Thanks guys.

Another question...

Lets say I buy this adaptor.

http://www.gp2xstore.com/products/Gp2x_Power_Supply-7-4.html

What exactly do I need to use it? What else would be used in conjunction with this, not screwing everything up?

Seeing as it seems to be an offical GP2x power adaptor from GPH, I can see there being no problems using it "as is", Without using it in conjunction with anything else (<-- Not sure what you mean by that ?).

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
GP2x-PSU.jpg

It depends on where you are located to how the part on the right you need will look, Which is the mains adaptor (Figure eight lead, Because the connector looks like the number 8), The two pin end plugs into the wall socket . The one in the picture above is the EURO figure 8 lead.

Uk-Fig8.jpg

This one is the UK figure 8 lead, The three square pin end plugs into the wall socket.

Us-Fig8.jpg

This one is the US figure 8 lead, The two flat pin end plugs into the wall socket.

Shaver-Adaptor.jpg

And this is an adaptor to convert the EURO and US leads into a three pin UK plug.

Where are you located ?.

The part on the left is the actual power supply (In the picture at the top).

Ok!, Imagine that the picture at the top is a laptop power supply (Have you ever seen one of these ?)

They normally come in two parts (Just like the picture at the top)

One of the figure eight lead (choose the one for your location) plugs into the socket you can see of the black block of the power supply.

Phew!, Hope you got all that ?.

Trooper

Back