A couple questions about the Pyra...

takato14

I've been browsing the forum for about an hour and there are couple questions I haven't been able to find answers to.

1: Is the audio circuity identical to the Pandora or is it better? I know the Pyra website says that the audio is great, like the original Pandora, but is it the same DAC and opamp configuration or is it better?

2: L2/R2 Buttons? In addition to the 2 new face buttons, are there L2 and R2 buttons for PSX games?

Thanks.

1. As I understand it, the Pyra will still use a Burr-Brown amp, though it may be a more recent revision, I guess. MWeston, the guy who designed the Pandora PCB is also on board, and while he's not actively designing the Pyra board, I hope he'll cast an eye over the audio circuitry at least.

2. Yes, four shoulder buttons, L1 and L2 stacked and likewise R1 and R2 rather like on a PS pad.

1. As I understand it, the Pyra will still use a Burr-Brown amp, though it may be a more recent revision, I guess. MWeston, the guy who designed the Pandora PCB is also on board, and while he's not actively designing the Pyra board, I hope he'll cast an eye over the audio circuitry at least.

2. Yes, four shoulder buttons, L1 and L2 stacked and likewise R1 and R2 rather like on a PS pad.
Burr-Brown was actually bought out by Texas Instruments, so that's a bit nebulous.. guess we'll find out more later.

Excellent. I'm now officially hyped for this. 

It's going to be a pretty awesome device. I am really looking forward to it. The will be two additional buttons other than the original abxy buttons, two USB ports and motion controls! :)

It's always nice seeing new members interested in future developments as well :)

Motion controls are very probable, indeed.

They will be included when we got enough space left, and as they are pretty small, they will most likely be included.

It's always nice seeing new members interested in future developments as well :)

They will be included when we got enough space left, and as they are pretty small, they will most likely be included.
Awesome the Pyra could work as a level and a hammering device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, I did miss that.
No problem :) it was in fact the first post i ever made :) and yeah i am quite excited for this ukltim ate butt kicking device!

Awesome the Pyra could work as a level and a hammering device.
haha :) another reason to bring into work for some people:

"why did you bring your DS to  work?"

"Trust me guys, its not a DS, it´s one of my closest companions."

That's the best refresh time for small LCDs you can get - most have 30-40ms.

Did you expect mircacles? :)

Most TN-matrix PC monitors use a technology called overdrive to artificially decrease their response time stat. That is, say you're going from white to black, and black is 0V, the controller actually drives the cell to -1V to make it change quicker.

The downsides to that technique is it means light objects moving over a dark background have a bright leading edge (and an overly dark shadow behind them), because it tends to overshoot the target grey and have to creep back.

As far as I know that technique isn't used on IPS or VA panels. I know the Pandora doesn't have a TN matrix, as TN matrixes can be identified by the discolouration you get while pressing on them (thus no touchscreens use TN panels) and the limited viewing angles (thus no TVs use TN panels) but I don't know what technology it does use. But modern TN matrixes with overdrive generally have much better response times than IPS or VA panels, so you can't expect the same response times you get in a PC monitor from a touchscreen.

I forgot to mention but I'm sure you already know about this...there will be a backlight for the keyboard which is completely excellent. it can be sure hard to type at night on the original Pandora.

Back