A Brief History Of Gp2x?

There are always slumps on software releases and forum posts. A lot of GP2X software was entered into the GBAX coding compo so the turnaround for the next 'batch' of software will be a little later. Combined with summer holidays and start of school/college year, usually means people are away for a few weeks so this affects software releases but mainly forum posts. My guess is the next big batch of releases will be november/december, maybe a coding competition will hurry things along ;)

It happens every year but I do think there is life left in the GP2X at least until craigs console is out + 6 months after, like what happened with the GP32. I am unsure about the F200 and the support it will get, I don't think many devs will upgrade just to get one and support the touchscreen? Has there been a discussion or poll for this yet?

I am, for the first time in ages, getting bored of coming here because there is little to read about anymore.
Sorry, but it's true.

I agree with GuyFawkes, We've been here before. Those few of you since the beginning can remember the same posts and things happening when the Gp32 was at its End of days. Its the same old everytime. Some people stay, some go, New arrive and on and on. All because of a period of transition from one handheld (this time) into a potential 2 handheld swing.

I've had the gp32, MK1 Gp2x, buying the f200 and certainly will save up for the craiginator. Although iam not a developer, I have have some doubt about the success of the next 2 machines. BUT I have little doubt about the continuing success of this community.

I think about selling my MK I at some point to get a F-200. And I'll keep an eye on the Craiginator as well. But the F-200 is my priority.

It's true that there haven't been that many new releases lately but I believe it will improve again and there's still a lot of stuff in the archives I haven't tried out yet. And I'm still hoping for that Rockstar ate my hamster remake. :)

Nice article, though a bit on the misleading side. The only reason you seem to want people not to abandon the GP2X and upgrade to the F200 is so that more will be around to buy the Craig2x when it will come around. The F200 should serve more than just a bridge between the F100 and the Craig2x. The GP2X still has a lot to offer, and this will constantly be seen as time goes on. Even after the release of Craig's handheld, it will hopefully continue to thrive in parallel with it, after all it will continue being the most affordable open handheld around, with a very mature software library to boot. It will likely hold its own for a while yet, not just for "months upon months" :)

I'm sure a lot of people have a lot of software that they're working on and that they will release in due time. As Guyfawkes said, summer just ended and school started, there's bound to be a slump in releases. I remember this being said last year before the Community Game Contest, and of course let's not forget GBAX 2007 with 60+ releases!

I think the F200's touchscreen will be a great addition to the GP2X that will encourage creative homebrew. However, you can't expect all-around support for it considering that the majority of users will be F100 users.

I just hope people here will continue supporting both the Craiginator and the GP2X, if that's at all possible ;)

People also forget.. touchscreen means X11 means more game porting options from that route, not to mention SDL mousey games.

PDA options are still out unless therees a useful real-time-clock in there; I forget offhand if these guys can know the date after being turned off and losing batteries and such.. I seem to recall not? Still, address books and such might gain some traction .. but I really think thats a red herring -- whose carryign around their 2x everywhere .. its too bulky for PDA availability. *shrug*

I think for Battlejewels GBAX victory I'm getting a Craiginator, so I'll likely buy a F200 and get BJ and OutCast and such gussed up for it.

jeff

Zod my man -- you should be clear though; when you're saying a backlog of PDA commercial software, you mean software to sell for a F200; you didn't imply you meant to give it away as freeware (since it is not yours to do so with?), but I'm betting some might be misled there :) ie: You have some personal but also commercial interest in your plea for people to buy a F200, so to be impartial you have to reveal this information :)

-- another post, but the boards merged them --

zod -- I shall have to post on my blog too, and do my little piece of promotion.

The f200 is more than just the screen; as per usual, GPH blew somethign critical about their device.. the GP2x was the joystick and its bad rotation. (Seriously, wtf guys. w. t. f.) So I am hopiong the F200 has better controls, and that they're not installed sideways.

A gp2x with better controls? that alone is worth the upgrade :)

I'm not pre-ordering though, since obviously GPH has to screw _something_ up, and I'm waiting for the first mover to find out what it is :)

jeff

I'm going to sell my GP2X F100 soon and get a F200 after I hear some of the initial reports. Probably will wait for the second revision, knowing our friends in Korea.

Craig's machine sounds awesome, but it's just too expensive, IMO. Under $200 USD is the sweet spot for handheld gaming. $300USD+ for a console from an unknown manufacturer? Way too much. The PSP debuted at $249USD, and it now sells quite well at $169USD. NDS:$149USD, now $129USD.

I don't doubt that some hard core gamers will buy Craig's machine, and I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from buying it. I just wish the price were lower so that it would be more accessible to a wider consumer base.

I won't be ordering mine until I have heard about the d-pad quality, and ease of touch screen programming, from others. I wish they would send pre-release samples out to SOMEONE.

I remember the quiet days when the gp32 was oldish and ppl got bored, as alot of people are saying highs and lows!

I have no doubt that these forums will be buzzing again somtime in the future :D

sensible GP32 said:
I remember the quiet days when the gp32 was oldish and ppl got bored, as alot of people are saying highs and lows!

I have no doubt that these forums will be buzzing again somtime in the future :D
ah them were the days, i still miss gimp

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss being a young member :D,

im sure ppl are in hiding they might not be posting but i reckon they are keeping up to date with things ready to become vocal again when the time is right.

saehn said:
The PSP debuted at $249USD, and it now sells quite well at $169USD. NDS:$149USD, now $129USD.

the problem is that it's not feasible to hit that price target unless you can produce millions of machines the way that nintendo and sony can. also, both companies make money off of millions of copies of first-party software and licensing for third-party software. so whatever the cost difference ends up being, i personally will view it as support for the business model (just sell the hardware & leave it open).

there's still a market for commercial indie games for the pc. there's also a market for pda games...a similar market for straight-up handheld console games that don't need a nintendo or sony sticker would make me very happy.

$300 is a lot though. and obviously the high production costs are not your or my problem (until we choose to buy a unit). but a gp2x with a built-in battery might have cost at least $250. i hope craig's system becomes a reality, and that it rocks, in which case i'll just pay first and justify later :D

I added a response to this on your blog but the gist of my post is that I don't think the F200 will be the kick in the pants some people are expecting it to be. If a friend seems interested in joining our scene, I'll recommend it to them in a heartbeat but I don't think it's worth an existing GP2X customer dropping $170 or more on, there's not sufficient incentive for it.

man geez some of you are just horrible...guess everyone of you expect your handhelds to be the best thing since sliced bread and make waffles in the mourning for you...

geez f-200 won't be a kick in the pants....why did you state the obvious...I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean but geez way to rub it in the face?

geez and the craiginator looking like a price tag of 300 dollars, I mean is that just the console alone????

geez I never spent more then roughly 230 on a handheld I think...anything over 250 seems a bit farfetched...granted I hope it becomes a reality to but still I think we should continue to support f-200

garzyboi said:
man geez some of you are just horrible...guess everyone of you expect your handhelds to be the best thing since sliced bread and make waffles in the mourning for you...

geez f-200 won't be a kick in the pants....why did you state the obvious...I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean but geez way to rub it in the face?

geez and the craiginator looking like a price tag of 300 dollars, I mean is that just the console alone????

geez I never spent more then roughly 230 on a handheld I think...anything over 250 seems a bit farfetched...granted I hope it becomes a reality to but still I think we should continue to support f-200
Nobody expects these to "make waffles in the mourning" for us. But the F200 seems like it's being presented as an upgrade from the F100. It's not much of an upgrade, though, as it offers little in the way of new capabilities and any new homebrew that takes advantage of the touchscreen will leave the existing install base in the cold. Beyond that, it offers no improvements to make it worthwhile to the existing GP2X users, and doesn't go far enough to attract new users from the DS and PSP scenes. Like I said, for GP2X noobs it's as good a buy as any, but for those of us already in on it that $170 is probably better off put towards Project Craiglebee or whatever it's called now. It will be a genuine upgrade that will well exceed the capabilities of our humble handheld, which automatically makes it more worthy of consideration than the F200.

I'm sorry you take such offence to one person's opinion. Maybe you should grow thicker skin. Geez.

Back