8bitdo gamepads Xbox360 compatibility on Windows

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
Hi, I found out that my "SN30 Pro" is recognized as "Xbox360 for Windows" only when plugged with USB, and in this way all the games that require an Xbox360 controller works ok out of the box (even vibration works).

Instead, if I connect it as X-input via Bluetooth, it is recognized as "Xbox Bluetooth Controller", the Windows test utility shows it's working correctly, but the games (that requires an Xbox360) don't recognize it.

I only see people complaining about this thing around the internet, but can't find solutions... even the 8bitdo documentation doesn't speak about this.

So I'm wondering, could it be something related to my Bluetooth dongle ?

I see that there is a "8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter", that has a "Compatibility for Xbox bluetooth controllers"... could this make the 8bitdo gamepads appear as a proper Xbox360 controller even when connected via Bluetooth ?

Thanks

P.S.: by the way, the gamepad firmware is already updated at the last version (v1.33)

elvissteinjr

Very Active Member
There are software solutions to make DirectInput gamepads be recognized as Xbox 360 ones.
If you don't mind using Steam for that, Steam Input should handle it if you set up your controller for Big Picture mode.

Otherwise, I tend to use XOutput if I need it.
X360CE also exists, but doesn't work with Unity-based games and maybe others.

No idea if the 8bitdo pad should just work via Bluetooth as Xbox360 one, though.

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
@elvissteinjr : I know about X360CE and used it before to make a PS2 gamepad be recognized as Xbox controller, but require "every" game to be "hacked" by that executable... I was hoping in a more "one for all" solution.
Also, I like very much how STEAM manages controllers, but it only works with STEAM games.
I'll have a look at XOutput, never head of it before.

@flowen8 : I'm already using it as X-input, that's the issue.

On a side note, I read a lot of things about wireless Xbox360 controllers... and while the documentation is really scarse, seems like that the needed drivers are ONLY found in the original Xbox360 controller itself...
...in the Microsoft site, there are only drivers for older Windows... I just wanted to try a forced subtitution of the 8BitDo bluetooth driver, but seems like I can't even try...

Also, I have the suspect that the original Xbox360 controller uses a proprietary protocol... a little different from the standard X-input...

Last edited:

elvissteinjr

Very Active Member
Steam Input should also work when you add the games in question as a non-Steam game, I think.
I tend to not use it in general though as it can get in the way of applications trying to access the DirectInput gamepad when you have it set up. Probably not an issue for most people, though.

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
I had a go with XOutput+ViGem and now it is recognized as a Xbox360 controller even when wireless, but seems like it doesn't recognize force feedback motors... even x360ce seems to do nothing when I try the force feedback...
The motor is recognized only when I connect it via USB...

A guy on the internet say that the motor works even wireless, and he uses the "8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter"... so my OP question still stand...

Is the "8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter" required to use all the features of the gamepad via bluetooth ?

EDIT:

I found this text "*It supports DS4 Motion and Rumble features wirelessly." in the "8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter" page, but it's over the PS4 controller, and nowhere is specified that it's supported even specifically for 8bitdo controllers...

I read all the reviews linked in the 8BitDo main site about the SN30 Pro, and NO ONE mentions that the Rumble feature doesn't work via Bluetooth... so I'm not sure what to think right now o_O

Last edited:

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
I contacted directly the 8BitDo, and they told:

- the "Force Feedback" via Bluetooth works only in Switch / X-input mode, and only in the latest Windows 10 versions (the "8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter " is not required.)
- "XBox360 compatibility" via Bluetooth works only in the latest Windows 10 versions

Can anyone confirm this ?

I don't have Windows 10, and they keep telling that Windows 8.1 only supports D-input, but that's not true... I can use X-input too... maybe it is just missing some features ?

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
I'd love to try, got the controller, the adapter, but only Win7 that fell out of the update loop years ago and my pc crashes in 3d apps within minutes, since I put it together. :\

kuru

Laptop und Trachtenjanker
Can you guys recommend the D-Pad on the SN30pro? Since I've played through Bloodstained I learned to hate the d-pad on the Xbox one controller. I could only pull off one in four Hadoken-style moves. And my thumb joints hurt. It seems you need quite some force to get the d-pad to register. I don't get those pains when using analogue sticks. I'd really love a modern dual analogue controller with a Saturn-style d-pad :-/

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
Can you guys recommend the D-Pad on the SN30pro?
It's not bad, considering that I hate cross D-Pads... my finger never feel hurt after use. Personally I like the one in the M30 the most... and seems like they want to release an M30 with dual analogs added too.

Also, it's not an 8BitDo gamepad, but I love the D-Pad in the XU-DH1, it's like a nest for my thumb... I'm using that gamepad (with x360ce) for every game that requires an xbox360 controller.

Last edited: