8086 (ibm Pc) Static Recompiler For Gp2x

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
Hello everyone!

I've got some news! HilaryCheng has written an amazing static recompiler for 8086 (IBM PC) to ARM.
What does this mean? It means I ported it to the GP2X! :)
It also means games such as Romance Of The Three Kingdoms 1 for the IBM PC will now run on the GP2X. My first build runs fairly well. There's a bug that needs to be fixed that exits Romance right after the game settings are confirmed. I also would like to improve the primitive input handling. Right now I have it so L and R cycle through characters (letters/numbers) and push-stick types it. Makes it hard to use future text heavy games.

Once Romance Of The Three Kingdoms 1 is recompiled, the next might be Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Anyone know some other good IBM PC games? :)

Well, time to improve it's speed a bit, fix that bug, and when it's ready a release will be made in the News section...

This is a really fun project!

This sound freakin' sweet, can't wait to try it.

As for game, how about the Sierra Games? Like Hereo's Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest? There are a ton to name, but I remember the "Quest" games quite fondly.

Oh my, how could I forget Sierra! Space Quest! :)
There's also Leisure Suit Larry on IBM PC I believe.
I'm going to see if I can get a Space Quest game done, as it's one of my favorite series. :p

Try Al-Qadim, a very nice Zelda-style RPG in arabian setting. I think it was from SSI

zodttd posted on Sep 17 2006 at 11:07 AM said:
I've got some news! HilaryCheng has written an amazing static recompiler for 8086 (IBM PC) to ARM.
What does this mean? It means I ported it to the GP2X! :)
It also means games such as Romance Of The Three Kingdoms 1 for the IBM PC will now run on the GP2X.
I don't understand what a static recompiler is... :blink: <-- non-programmer

Does this mean you can convert games that don't have source code? If you're looking for great PC games, I'd humbly suggest the Bethesda RPGs Arena and Daggerfall. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Without getting technical, the 8086 static recompiler allows conversion of a selected IBM PC game's executable (.exe) to a native GP2X ARM executable (.gpe).

Remember old PC games for DOS that said "IBM PC compatible", thats what were talking about here. Stuff that runs on the Intel 8086 processor.

Since there's specific cases that need to be handled for each particular game, the conversion process is not automatic. HilaryCheng or I would have to convert the executable, and you will still need the game executable and any data files to accompany the GPE.

And since HilaryCheng has decided to do conversions on a game-by-game template process, it will allow for specific optimizations and controls for each game.

I'm wondering how far this recompiler can be extended. I wonder what games I would play are 8086. Most are 386 or 486. I would really like to get Syndicate Plus working on the GP2X. ;P So for now we have a WIP 8086 recompiler, I'm assuming stepping up to 386 architecture is a huge leap.

I'll keep everyone updated. I'm still trying to debug that bug in the recompiler.

Hello,

I was trying to think of old DOS games that do not require many buttons or mouse. A dozen games instantly come to mind.

Tongue of the Fatman
Mines of Titan
Monster Bash
Cosmo
Dangerous Dave 2 (Zombie fun)
Jill of the Jungle
Ultima 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

I can just keep on going…

I’m not sure how the Sierra games will work, if they require full on typing.

Maybe Manhunt would be more suitable for adventure gamers using GP2X.

Sounds great!
I really love your all works, z!

I hope I can see:
Might & Magic series and Wizardries
Non-SUMM games of Sierra (AGI and SCI engine games)

And ABSOULTE ULTIMAs!!

jmetal88 posted on Sep 18 2006 at 11:11 AM said:
icurafu posted on Sep 17 2006 at 07:12 PM said:

Are you referring to Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure?

'Cause if so, that's one of the most awesome DOS games ever.

Yeah, that's the one. It's my third faviout dos platformer behind Dangerous Dave 2 and a weird RPG platformer starting with x.

icurafu posted on Sep 17 2006 at 08:42 PM said:
jmetal88 posted on Sep 18 2006 at 11:11 AM said:
icurafu posted on Sep 17 2006 at 07:12 PM said:

Are you referring to Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure?

'Cause if so, that's one of the most awesome DOS games ever.

Yeah, that's the one. It's my third faviout dos platformer behind Dangerous Dave 2 and a weird RPG platformer starting with x.

OOO, I KNOW THE GAME!!!!!!

Sorry, just got a little over-excited.

It's by Epic, I'm pretty sure, and it's called Xargon.

Hi All,

I think it is a interesting project. :D When I started to do this project, I think 8086 should have less self modiflying code (expect overlay). But it is not I expected.

For the games, I wanna to convert those games which is not have "READY-MADE" engine to run like Scummvm or Sarien or Freesci or Ultima. so please forgive me to ignore those games at the first.

My Wish List:
- AD&D Gold Box Games
- Might & Magic 2

Also, please remember, we will not distribute the game. We distribute a executable which can be run on a native platform. Without original game files, nth can run :D

mittens posted on Sep 18 2006 at 09:41 AM said:
Sounds great!

I hope I can see:

And ABSOULTE ULTIMAs!!

Wizardries is a GOOD CHOICE ALSO. But it is too harsh to play.

hilarycheng posted on Sep 17 2006 at 09:50 PM said:
Hi All,

I think it is a interesting project. :D When I started to do this project, I think 8086 should have less self modiflying code (expect overlay). But it is not I expected.

For the games, I wanna to convert those games which is not have "READY-MADE" engine to run like Scummvm or Sarien or Freesci or Ultima. so please forgive me to ignore those games at the first.

My Wish List:
- AD&D Gold Box Games
- Might & Magic 2

Also, please remember, we will not distribute the game. We distribute a executable which can be run on a native platform. Without original game files, nth can run :D

mittens posted on Sep 18 2006 at 09:41 AM said:
Sounds great!

I hope I can see:

And ABSOULTE ULTIMAs!!

Wizardries is a GOOD CHOICE ALSO. But it is too harsh to play.

Welcome to the community! :D

Back