80+Gbs

Speculant

Still Fresh
this (or any other small form factor portible hd) + velcro = no need for sd cards for storage?

seems like a pretty excellent idea to me, except for the additional bulkiness

I plan to do the same! Well I'll still have an SD card in there for the different OSs but music and games on a portable HD. I think I'll pick up a rugged one though.

plus is so xpensive, better go and scrap a old used ipod even busted disply would work :p

Speculant said:
this (or any other small form factor portible hd) + velcro = no need for sd cards for storage?

seems like a pretty excellent idea to me, except for the additional bulkiness

it is bulkier, cuts battery life and it's also probably slower than the SD cards

It has some usecases, but it's not a great solution for everybody.

Personally, I would just carry the hd, not bother with the velcro and copy files on the SD as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny, since (pre!) ordering the panda, I've bought 2 8Gig SD's, then two 16Gig SD's and now I have a 32Gig in the post (though, it could've been a rip off as it was only £23...and it hasn't arrived after 2 weeks). I have plenty of space :)

Xian Long said:
it will probably cut battery life considerably
battery.jpg

a simple solution

I think any external HDD would be great as a portable solution. I'm toying with the idea of using one of these in an expansion case made for Pandora. One good reason to use them over SD cards is the price/GB. HDD is considerably cheaper compared to higher capacity SD cards. It might drop battery life, but it's an alternative storage solution.

Also, I don't completely trust SD or other flash-based memory. I've had too many corrupt on me, almost all of them from reputable manufacturers (Sony, SanDisk). I can't imagine losing 32GB of data at once, or having to recover that 32GB. >_<

-Tj- said:
Also, I don't completely trust SD or other flash-based memory. I've had too many corrupt on me, almost all of them from reputable manufacturers (Sony, SanDisk). I can't imagine losing 32GB of data at once, or having to recover that 32GB. >_<

You never trust any storage device: you keep at least 3 copies of all of your data, on different storage mediums, in different places. :)

Besides, I've seen more hard disks die than flash memory, but that's also because I've seen lots of dead HDs before flash was available on the consumer market.

Nothing wrong with using one of these 1.8" drives in an external case (which I guess is what these are) - the original iPod showed you don't need a massive battery to keep one of those running, so I'd guess it'll cut battery life by 10-20% at most. But I'll be leaving mine at home/in the hotel/wherever, not taking it with me like the Pandora. I wouldn't want to lose or break 160GB worth of data!

If it's just for home, a file share has the advantage of being wireless :)

I wish I could justify spending the money right now to make a cute little media server with RAIDed SSDs and such. Plus put XMBC or Boxee on there...or maybe just a hacked AppleTV.

valhalla said:
You never trust any storage device: you keep at least 3 copies of all of your data, on different storage mediums, in different places. :)

Besides, I've seen more hard disks die than flash memory, but that's also because I've seen lots of dead HDs before flash was available on the consumer market.
Quite true, but I tend to trust HDDs more than flash memory because of my track record with them. I'd say my ratio's something like 40% problem rate with flash-based memory, opposed to maybe 10% with HDD. The flash-based stuff are from different manufacturers, so I feel none of them can be trusted. With HDDs, however, all the ones that have failed on me were Maxtors, before Seagate acquired them. Needless to say I don't buy their products anymore. :lol:

levi said:
Nothing wrong with using one of these 1.8" drives in an external case (which I guess is what these are) - the original iPod showed you don't need a massive battery to keep one of those running, so I'd guess it'll cut battery life by 10-20% at most. But I'll be leaving mine at home/in the hotel/wherever, not taking it with me like the Pandora. I wouldn't want to lose or break 160GB worth of data!

theres a trick here and its because the ipod manages the music on the playlist so it buffers them on a middle flash memory, this cuts down short the time for the hard drive running.

in my opinion, HD are still much more safer for data backup than Flash do, this is due to several phisical effects that have brought HD Recovery to amazing states. you can even recover a full broom Erase on a HD something you cant do in a Flash memory, overReading on HD is posible giving it several grades of data recovery. yeah of course they also fail more due to the mechanical operations it does, but if a flash dies it usually dies to the point unrecoverable.

How is that a solution? You'd end up being smaller than the battery! :lol:

-Tj- said:
How is that a solution? You'd end up being smaller than the battery! :lol:

Well, the two dudes in the comic were "doin' it wrong." :lol:
The shrink ray was meant for the battery. ;)
Though...having a virtual shrink ray would be nice...we could use it to shrink all the gripers and whiners so they can't type out another useless thread without having to travel for miles to hit every key. It would probably take them two months™ to perform such a feat! :lol:

That'd be one solution to all those posts of late, hey? Throw in a killer beetle, problem solved completely! :lol: shrink ray

1 32GB SD + 1 32GB SD + those tiny microSD with 16GB and for a very expensive 80GB?

Back