64Gb Sdxc Cards

#1 GameMaster said:
Also what formats does it allow you to use on it?

If it had any say the matter, we'd be stuck with exFAT. Fortunately they don't, and can be formatted any way you like. (I even have some cards with multiple partitions. Works fine in Linux)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loading up my 64GB card with games and music. The write speed on this Sandisk card is only around 4MB/sec. Been at it for an hour and only copied 15GB.

Amazing, simply amazing.

I originally thought that SDXC cards require new chips, but that is only half the truth. Here's what wikipedia has to say:

The Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) format was unveiled at CES 2009 (January 7-10, 2009). The maximum capacity defined for SDXC cards is 2 TB (2048 GB). The older SDHC cards also have a maximum capacity of 2 TB based on the card data structures, but this is artificially limited to 32 GB by the SD 2.0 specification. The first SDXCs being released are governed by an SD 3.0 specification (which also still specifies FAT32 and thus lower capacities), whereas higher capacity and faster SDXCs are expected to follow an SD 4.0 specification, which was due to be released in spring of 2010.

and:

The maximum transfer rate of SDXCs which follow the SD 3.0 specification was announced as 832 Mbit/s (these are called UHS104 speeds), with plans that the SD 4.0 specification shall increase this to 2.4 Gbit/s.

SDHC devices will only support the SDXC cards which use UHS104 speeds; SDHC devices will not recognize the SDXC cards which use the faster (SD 4.0), final specification of SDXC.

Hopefully we'll see some 128GB SD 3.0 cards. Unlikely, though.

Neko said:
The write speed on this Sandisk card is only around 4MB/sec.
That's strange and sad. I hope it's somehow related to this particular card and we can have higher write speed on Pandora.

It probably doesn't affect most of you as most will probably be Linux peeps and it ignores the fat32 spec, but in Windows you cant format over32 GB in fat32 without software like Partition Magic as that is the supposed theoretical limit according to M$

Neko said:
I'm loading up my 64GB card with games and music. The write speed on this Sandisk card is only around 4MB/sec. Been at it for an hour and only copied 15GB.
What is the write-speed supposed to be?

I hate to be the one asking this, but it will bother me if I don't, so: Are you sure it's definitely a genuine card?

That said, I don't know whether the existing SDHC "Class" system applies to SDXC cards - they won't be in my price-range for a while, so I haven't read much about them.

This might be tricky.

I can see SD 4.0 quickly taking over, which means that 3.0 may not be around for too long. If 3.0 cards are a footnote and stay at high prices, then not too many people will have bought them - if the cards end up being rare, the future second hand prices will be ridiculous.

There will be a sweetspot between 3.0 being phased out and prices dropping, and the later boosted second hand value. Knowing when we've reached it though...

Prometheus said:
Neko said:
What is the write-speed supposed to be?

I hate to be the one asking this, but it will bother me if I don't, so: Are you sure it's definitely a genuine card?

That said, I don't know whether the existing SDHC "Class" system applies to SDXC cards - they won't be in my price-range for a while, so I haven't read much about them.
The card is labeled "Class 4" (= 4MB/sec write). The write speed is what is claimed. The read speed is around 16-18 MB/sec.

As far as I can tell, everything about SDHC cards applies to SDXC cards, as the electrical interface is identical.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for that. I was barking up the wrong tree, evidently! :lol:

Neko said:
sudo mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1

once this has been done is there any way to give the partition/card a name/label?

Pleng said:
Neko said:
sudo mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1

once this has been done is there any way to give the partition/card a name/label?
sudo e2label /dev/mmcblk0p1 yourlabel

(NOT TESTED)

EDIT: oh frak the pandora doesnt have e2label by default...
EDIT2:Tough, you can give it a label in that mkfs.ext3 call, add "-L yourlabel"

Grench said:
craigix said:
128GB Pandora :wacko:

Never underestimate humanities seemingly irrational need for size and speed.

Speed's all a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

But these go up to 11.

Working with SDXC rocks - A 128GB Pandora is not the end - that is the start...

SD started at 4MB and went to 4GB (2GB official - 4GB on a few special cards).
SDHC started at 4GB and went to 32GB.
SDXC started at 64GB per card. I would expect it to go to at least 256GB per card before the next spec hits. Supposedly the addressing can handle 2TB, but I'm betting they will want to have something new to market before then.

So... If SDXC really works out, at some point it -might- be possible to have a half terabyte Pandora.

Fun stuff.
*HAS CORONARY*
So... This could mean..
It means I start babbling like an idiot :lol:
Perhaps this could open up some opportunities. Imagine, with current tools available for developing on the Pandora, we might be able to forget about space constraints (to some degree, of course).
We could make games bigger than the ones that come on DVD/Blu-Ray/Whatever, and this means we'll be capable of... A lot.
Of course, this is dependent on what the developers put into the game, but nonetheless, it'd be rather impressive if we can get a large, dedicated, coherent team, three things that are rare, but when they assemble, the world is shaken.

Jourdy288 said:
Grench said:
craigix said:
128GB Pandora :wacko:

Never underestimate humanities seemingly irrational need for size and speed.

Speed's all a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

But these go up to 11.

Working with SDXC rocks - A 128GB Pandora is not the end - that is the start...

SD started at 4MB and went to 4GB (2GB official - 4GB on a few special cards).
SDHC started at 4GB and went to 32GB.
SDXC started at 64GB per card. I would expect it to go to at least 256GB per card before the next spec hits. Supposedly the addressing can handle 2TB, but I'm betting they will want to have something new to market before then.

So... If SDXC really works out, at some point it -might- be possible to have a half terabyte Pandora.

Fun stuff.
*HAS CORONARY*
So... This could mean..
It means I start babbling like an idiot :lol:
Perhaps this could open up some opportunities. Imagine, with current tools available for developing on the Pandora, we might be able to forget about space constraints (to some degree, of course).
We could make games bigger than the ones that come on DVD/Blu-Ray/Whatever, and this means we'll be capable of... A lot.
Of course, this is dependent on what the developers put into the game, but nonetheless, it'd be rather impressive if we can get a large, dedicated, coherent team, three things that are rare, but when they assemble, the world is shaken.

Keep in mind though that the bus is limited to about 20MB/s (I'm not sure if this is net or per slot, but I think it is net). So... a half terabyte at 20MB/sec is going to take...

500,000,000,000/20,000,000 = 25000 seconds = 416.6 minutes = 6.94 hours = Just shy of 7 hours to read the contents.

So, at that point we're clearly talking about having large media files and large reference materials on the machine. Large reference files as in data that we have stored for searching on - but have no intention of reading linearly forever. Kind of like putting Wikipedia and the Google out of print books collections and still looking for stuff to fill space.

Of course once it gets filled up - then you're going to want a 3rd card to swap in...

Something to consider for the next version of the Pandora - somewhere in 2012 or whenever it is - increase the speed of the SD slots so we can turn it up to 11.

The bus limit isn't so bad. Lots of games have very large content files that they only need to read a few small pieces at a time.

I think a bigger problem would be finding a business model that would support the man-hours of development required for making that much content.

Jourdy288 said:
But why would you want to? Compelling content matters much more than the filesize. :p

Prometheus said:
Jourdy288 said:
But why would you want to? Compelling content matters much more than the filesize. :p

That's what people say when they are packing no content. :p

Back