6 Questions That I Need Anwsering :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
CC_machine said:
the pandora's USB Host is Full Speed (2.0). you'll need a hub to use some devices that run on 1.0 or 1.1. joysticks work fine without a hub, i imagine mice and keyboards will too. i don't know what else you would need on USB... ^^
Erm, Full Speed USB is only 12Mbits/second where Hi-Speed USB is 480Mbits/second.

As for the rest of your post, a citation would be nice.

1) thanks, post edited. i probably thought something like "full" meant "fullest" or "to the full", as "full" is a superlative. "High" is relative... things can be higher than another described as "High", so "Full" should be faster than "High", you'd think..? hah nevermind, my brain hurts.

2) it would be, but most of the info i remember about the Pandora is scattered throughout the forum(s). I really can't be bothered to use loads of time trawling around looking for a posts i can't even remember one quoted word or who said it, only the fact that it's usb 2.0 and many devices work (2.0 or not).

i've been promised this thing since "April/March" and been waiting for it longer. don't let my sig lead you to thinking i want to annoy Pandora people, the always-shifting-until-now-oh-wait-lets-wait-some-more release date has annoyed a good share of the people around here. sorry, went off on a tangent there. i'm pretty sure i know most of this stuff, considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigTruck said:
Edit: Not to mention the fact that my school's network administrator loves Windows and as such has a scanner program that only runs on Windows that has to be downloaded to client computers to use the wireless network. It checks to make sure you have a virus scanner and don't have things like p2p programs installed. Thankfully, he's completely incompetent and said security measures are trivial to bypass.
I had to deal with that for a few friends living in dorms... I almost stormed down to the guy's office to call him a moron. Windows admins just do not understand what "security" really is.

CC_machine said:
1) thanks, post edited. i probably thought something like "full" meant "fullest" or "to the full", as "full" is a superlative. "High" is relative... things can be higher than another described as "High", so "Full" should be faster than "High", you'd think..? hah nevermind, my brain hurts.

It was indeed until USB 2.0 came out with higher speeds than 1.0/1.1. Full speed used the maximum bandwidth of USB1.1, hence the title.

It's going to be even more fun when USB3 comes out, which is 4.8Gbits/sec, I wonder what they'll call that? TurboUSB ?

2) it would be, but most of the info i remember about the Pandora is scattered throughout the forum(s). I really can't be bothered to use loads of time trawling around looking for a posts i can't even remember one quoted word or who said it, only the fact that it's usb 2.0 and many devices work (2.0 or not).

Fair enough, I just assumed that since the USB Host only had a EHCI controller, and no OHCI to pass 1.1/1.0 requests to, that those type of devices will only work via a high speed hub so they can use the translation engine builtin to those hubs.

[/quote]
lol should have known better, but in an uni environment running linux is hell you often get glares from people running mac/windows thinking "what the hell is guy doing?" :lol:
[/quote]

O MY GOD! You get glares? Really???

You poor thing, that must indeed be hell! Damn them other students, damn them to hell!!!!

lubidog said:

lol should have known better, but in an uni environment running linux is hell you often get glares from people running mac/windows thinking "what the hell is guy doing?" :lol:

You poor thing, that must indeed be hell! Damn them other students, damn them to hell!!!!

Now now, no need to damn the non-linux preferrers (I say preferrers because I use a Mac and am pretty reluctant to wipe my harddisk to put linux on it :p Mac is OK :)(Although it would be pretty cool to see Xubuntu running on a iMac :D)).

They have not yet seen the light :p (sadly, many never will :((So far I have converted a total of 1.5 people :p))

My deepest condolences about the glares though. I hear they can burn holes into the back of your head :p

EDIT: ZOMGBBQROFLCopterwithCHEESE

Karel Jansens said:
yappe53 said:
TO be honest XP would have been perfect- absolute no hassle with wifi, but I'm guessing that's just a pipe dream for pandora? :D
INFIDEL!!!
YOU WILL DIE!!!!!

Oh wait, hobbyman II had it covered already. Okay then, I'm good.

Seriously? XP would have totally screwed the p&|a.

Ultra-cool linux customisable GUI

VS

Windows XP with a choice of blue, silver or a disgusting greeny colour

Something you can do almost anything you wish with

VS

Something closed source and crappo

I may be a bit biased here but you know, linux FTW.

I like Windows XP. It's simple, easy to use, and has an enormous software library (obviously). As long as you have proper security, it works great.
I like all 3 operating systems, I'm using Ubuntu, have OS X on another partition, and run XP on my desktop.
I don't understand all the hate.

Let's just keep it that way.
There is nothing more boring than repetitive discussions like this.
It's just wasting board space. :rolleyes:

aaron11193 said:
lubidog said:

Now now, no need to damn the non-linux preferrers (I say preferrers because I use a Mac and am pretty reluctant to wipe my harddisk to put linux on it :p Mac is OK :)(Although it would be pretty cool to see Xubuntu running on a iMac :D)).

They have not yet seen the light :p (sadly, many never will :((So far I have converted a total of 1.5 people :p))

My deepest condolences about the glares though. I hear they can burn holes into the back of your head :p

EDIT: ZOMGBBQROFLCopterwithCHEESE

mac is just as 'bad' as windows. actually, I'd say overall, it's worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back