5th Screw dock

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Hello all,

I received my Instant Pandora today and had to rip into it with my screwdriver within the first 5 minutes of having it out of the box. My Left nub was stuck/not responding. I went to take out the 5 screws on the back, which I was previously familiar with from my Pandora #14. Turns out that my Instant Pandora #1630 doesn't have a screw in the spot between the two shoulder buttons. The screw that is under the battery under the left shoulder button won't tighten and hold the back of the case together. There is nowhere on the board for a 5th screw to dock even if I had the screw. The plastic cap is missing from the board but it is on my #14 board for the fifth screw when I compare them side by side. Something is wrong here.

It was a really good drill about opening Pandora's up and putting them back together.

I will be requesting an RMA for this unit. I really hope I'm the only one with this issue. Looks like it came out of the mold and that piece stayed or cooled wrong.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you return this as an RMA, can you take a picture? It's just that I'm not sure exactly what you are describing.

5 screws to open the unit, there are four under the battery. The 5th is at 12 O Clock if you are reading the sticker under the battery. This screw has nowhere to seat on the board. The board has plastic donuts the screws fit in. For the 5th screw, it has no donut on the board. The screw under the L button spins and will not seat either leaving the whole left side loose.

I don't want to take the units apart for comparitive pics. To the people building units, I hope my description makes sense.

There is a 5th screw non obscurred between the shoulder buttons.

The unit is being held together by 2 screws, not 5. I've investigated this further today in the sunlight and the plastic screw dock was initially there, but it has broken and what little remains is under the board. If there was a screw to put in this remaining bit of plastic, it would not hold anything.

I've tried screws from my other unit to see if it was just a bad screw perhaps because these things are not "machined" at all. It looks like someone is breaking them with a pliers or something to make them to size.

The 12 O'Clock Screw, the 1:30 Screw, and the 4:30 Screw are not doing anything to put any pressure on the case to hold it together and my left button is still fucked. I've tried messing with the foam, I think the fact there is no pressure to hold the case together means this button will not operate properly.

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

This is what #14 looks like. Also all of the screws work properly, everything is great on this unit.

IMG_0651.jpg

...these things are not "machined" at all. It looks like someone is breaking them with a pliers or something to make them to size.

My screws looked like pretty standard self-tapping variety, with a little notch at the tip. 3 long and 2 short.

Condolences on the mangled case...

There is a 5th screw non obscurred between the shoulder buttons.

The unit is being held together by 2 screws, not 5. I've investigated this further today in the sunlight and the plastic screw dock was initially there, but it has broken and what little remains is under the board. If there was a screw to put in this remaining bit of plastic, it would not hold anything.

I've tried screws from my other unit to see if it was just a bad screw perhaps because these things are not "machined" at all. It looks like someone is breaking them with a pliers or something to make them to size.

The 12 O'Clock Screw, the 1:30 Screw, and the 4:30 Screw are not doing anything to put any pressure on the case to hold it together and my left button is still fucked. I've tried messing with the foam, I think the fact there is no pressure to hold the case together means this button will not operate properly.

My eyesss! :lol:

Doesn't your camera come with a macro mode?

So as I understand you don't need an RMA, you just need a screw to put in yourself?

I have a pandora held together by 2 screws aswell, had to mess around with gaffa tape to get my left shoulder button to work....

Are you saying the other 3 screws can not be used? I would really like to make the unit a bit sturdier by adding the missing 3 screws myself.

The middle screw between my shoulder buttons has no place to dock, and the screw was missing. This has caused the screw below my L Shoulder button under the battery to not seat on the board. The other screw under the left shoulder button at 4:30 position doesn't seat well either.

So you don't really need an RMA, you just need one the top half of the lower part of the case. Maybe Craig would be willing to simply ship it (plus screws) and you'll be able to fix it yourself. Much cheaper than a full RMA for all parties involved.

^

I would be surprised if this were that easy, in fact I tried your theory already. The case under the board also is faulty which is what is the root of this issue because the dock isn't functioning to hold the screw. In turn causing two other screws not to seat either.

So have him ship the two parts of the case then :p

Still cheaper than RMAing the entire thing.

Back