50,000 Sales Mark For 06, What About 07?

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
A while back Craig estimated that the GP2X would reach a 50,000 unit sales mark by december 06 surpassing that of the GP32 & the Gizmondo, so what about 2007? will it reach the 100,000 sales mark?

I doubt it, and i also hope we wont, as most decent people probably already have one by now.
So probably only the non-decent are left....

What i would like is a gp3x this year, the mmsp2+ looks like a good update to me.

im not sure whether this year would be good for a update.
I think i'd like the gp2x to have a nice year where we get a bit more juice out of her......

be a shame for it to diminish this quickly, as we are all away the gp32 lasted for about 13 seconds after the gp2x came out...

The GP2X never managed 50k anyway, so basing a new estimate on that would make it wrong :)

A GP3X should come no sooner than Q4 2008. Allow the GP2X to flourish to its fullest, and give developers time to do their magic. Besides, by Q4 2008, the component prices will drop significantly, and a solid handheld in the spirit of the 2X will hopefully keep the 2X's price tag.

- Alex

I agree with Alex. It's way too early to think about a new handheld, the gp2x is only getting good now.

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 04:39 PM said:
im not sure whether this year would be good for a update.
I think i'd like the gp2x to have a nice year where we get a bit more juice out of her......

be a shame for it to diminish this quickly, as we are all away the gp32 lasted for about 13 seconds after the gp2x came out...

It would be nice to get all of the way possible with HB and emus on the GP2X before something else comes out. Especially since any new GP2X "update" will very likely be a widescreen system. The GP2X may well be the last emu friendly 4:3 handheld made. I think most 2D systems can be emulated very well and it would be nice to have them as good as possible before everyone moves on to something else. We haven't even used the second core to it's fullest yet, just touched on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, Hardware seems so dispensable these days... I like things to progress, but I don't like it when there is a replacement for a machine that hasn't has it's full chance to shine.

What if the new machine was jsut an update to the GP2X. i.e. software written for the gp2x would run on the new system...only faster. Would that be possible? They could use faster chips, better screen, d-pad ;), SDHC support, USB hosting, wireless (maybe).

I think it would be essential that we dont lose the progress to date though. The dev's have done too good of a job to have the GP2X supplanted this quickly.

ARGH! No, no new system yet! IF there were a new system, half or more of the development that still works on the GP2X would cease. I for one would be pretty pissed off, I expect any sort of console I buy to have a lifetime of more than just over one year!

We need a few things...

1) A new model, a gp2x.5 the the *(*()* pad/stick fixed...
2) The bob released in a case

The we are good for another year or even 2, before a GP3x...

I'll buy a gp2x.5 with a fixed working stick...

Craig, come on mate sort it out with GPH

Blah posted on Feb 2 2007 at 09:01 PM said:
What we need is a reworked firmware (the libs on the gp2x are ancient).
You could always help out with open2x :)

Cervante posted on Feb 2 2007 at 09:35 PM said:
3d acceleration, just give me that and ill die a happy GPH fan boy

:rolleyes: Isn't there enough 3D systems out there already with all consoles and handhelds being 3D? If you really have to have 3D on a portable the PSP and DS are there for the buying ;) Why yet another?

Were not talking about a commmercial 3d handheld but a linux based 3d handheld. Also psp and ds have retarded screens for emulation. Can't we keep the 3.5" 4:3 but have 3d support. 2d is great and having 3d support would not cause 2d development to cease. Most homebrew devs prefer to make 2d games anyway or thats all they are able to make. There would be plenty of 2d. However although 2d games are great so are 3d games and some good 3d homebrew would be great. Also 2d retro systems are great and people will continue to emulate them but the ps1 is also great and many people also wan't to emulate it. No one is proposing that no more 2d games be played on the handheld. Just that it would have 3d capabilities. It would still be completely different from the psp and ds.

DaveC posted on Feb 2 2007 at 04:07 PM said:

:rolleyes: Isn't there enough 3D systems out there already with all consoles and handhelds being 3D? If you really have to have 3D on a portable the PSP and DS are there for the buying ;) Why yet another?
Because there is no such thing as a 2D accelerator, it is a 2D/3D accelerator, we badly need one to do 2D emulation correctly with full speed and sound (I Know you are a fan of full-speed and sound).

And the PSP and DS don't even do it right, PSP is widescreen, DS has too little resolution and memory for anything useful, plus neither is homebrew/retrogaming as you buy them.

I know 3D itches your whiskers, but 3D is a fact of life, I mean 3D games have been around since the original Atari, Descent 1 and 2 are open source now, I would love to see D2X on a handheld.

Plus the acceleration will help everything, all the stuff it does 10x faster than the CPU frees the CPU for better things. 2D and 3D aren't seperate, they are both just trying to get more pixels and textures onto the screen.

DaveC posted on Feb 2 2007 at 07:07 PM said:

Heres the problem with me buying a PSP or a DS, im an educated consumer who dosent sync with a community (not all) whom speak unread-able 1337 internet slang, or whine about a downgrade. Also before the GP2X I would of never been introduce to the flex-ability of the Linux OS, furthermore whenever I come here im educated a little bit more with every visit.

Back