3D Games

meandu229

Zubeman
Website
www.zubeonline.com
Ive just got a 3DTV (42vl863) and im very very impressed, its got some crazy tech to make the passive glasses from the cinema work really really well.

Anyhow any recommendations on games/films, I have an 360 hooked up and played quite a bit of black ops which is fun in 3d, watched a few films, tangled, tron, and a documentary, Gonna hook up my PC and see what thats like over weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, 3D gaming and 3D movies on a an HDTV or portable (3DS or smart phone) is gimmicky at best, so I have no recommendations for you...to be honest there's not much content to choose from, atm.

Games on PS3 = GT5

Games on 360 = ?

Movies = none, because they're all rubbish until Avatar is released, imo

By the way, I know your FHD LCD-LED TV is made by Toshiba...which is weird, because I thought passive 3D tech was exclusive to LG TVs?

Anyway, I'm waiting for more content (when there are thousands to choose from), even though I will be getting a new TV soon...

70" SHARP (FHD LCD-LED TV non-3D)

or

64" SAMSUNG (3D FHD Plasma TV)

or

65" LG (3D Passive FHD LCD-LED TV)

IMHO, 3D gaming and 3D movies on a an HDTV or portable (3DS or smart phone) is gimmicky at best, so I have no recommendations for you...to be honest there's not much content to choose from, atm.

Games on PS3 = GT5

Games on 360 = ?

Movies = none, because they're all rubbish until Avatar is released, imo

By the way, I know your FHD LCD-LED TV is made by Toshiba...which is weird, because I thought passive 3D tech was exclusive to LG TVs?
Its a LG panel, So same tech, very impressive.

Some are gimicky but others use the depth very well and only have a few little scenes where things pop out, I much prefer when they use the depth behind the tv and not try to push things infront of the tv, It was too good a deal not to get

£699 with bluray player, which ill be ebaying for £100+ then £1 for every point toby flood gets in rugby so hoping for £100 back of that, sell old 32in to a friend for £150. means £350 for a nice new 42in 3D LED TV

Well, I'm happy that you're happy about your purchase then. Sounds like you got yourself a pretty sweet deal in the end.

Which one do you reckon I should get (out of the 3 I mentioned)?

Would depend on alot , e.g room size, 70in tv you would need to sit far away e.g at least 9ft away,

The LG would be my choice cause of how much im impressed with the passive, lightwieght glasses, cost £2 for new ones,

Now I want the TV in the link below, because my current TV looks too small for gaming now!!!
Rage_Guy_emoticon_4_messenger_by_UraharaCr.gif

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/sharp/70-inch-full-hd-quattron-100hz-led-lcd-tv-sku-78716/

I never understood the "big tv" thing. I've always been perfectly fine with a 17-24" screen. The only thing that matters to me is the resolution. For me I always just sit closer and the screen just feels bigger.

I have no opinion on the 3D thing though, I have a bad eye so I never had depth perception in my life, so screen vs real world looks entirely the same to me.

If you got a good PC, you can download a driver/application software and play games or watch movies that support 3D.

If you have Nvidia, just search around on their site. But if you have AMD, just google TriDef 3D, took me a week before i found TD myself :p

Mirror's edge was pretty sweet in 3D, Skyrim lagged like hell, perhaps because the application renders DX11 twice..

MUST! If you have a console that runs Shadow of the Colossuss, you should definitly get that!

Aaaand Crysis 2

I never understood the "big tv" thing. I've always been perfectly fine with a 17-24" screen. The only thing that matters to me is the resolution. For me I always just sit closer and the screen just feels bigger.

Well try getting 4 or more people around that screen.. I agree if your alone.. but for having people over larger screens are better..

With that said I have a High Def. DLP projector and a 120" screen setup in my room.

Personally I never got the appeal of 3D movies and games..

Having a 3DS I can honestly say that the 3D effect really adds little to the game, and quite often can cause problems.

It's a nice feature, but turning your head slightly out of the zone loses the effect and the ability to see the screen properly. I'm playing through Kid Icarus at the moment (good game, but the control system really sucks!). As it's a fast moving game (and also due to the control system) losing that 3D zone is all too easy.

There are some nice 3D games - PilotWings is great (if short); the 3D really adds to the game experience. Samurai Warriors is also very good (3D wise), but to me the best use of 3D so far on the 3DS is from Tom Clancey's Ghost Recon, the reason being that you don't need to move much at all as the game is turn based and slow moving.

I actually turned off the 3D for Zelda: Ocarina Of Time; it didn't help the game at all. Still a wonderful game in its own right though.

Nintendogs is very nice too - some of the 3D effects where the dogs (especially) pay attention to the user is incredibly cool, but it's very limited.

I find the feeling of depth is also always better with 2D images over 2D or 3D. 3D models just don't stand out as well. Worse still, if they do they tend to look like cardboard cut-outs.

So to me 3D just isn't worth buying specially - I bought my 3DS (on day 1, becoming an Ambassador) because I'm a big Nintendo fan and love their franchises. And 3D movies aren't any better to me either.

I'm sure we'll see better use of 3D in the future, but for now it's just about OK.

Back