3d Art Dude Looking To Do Some 3d Art..... Dude.

Gurkles

Still Fresh
Uh, Hello all. I've been doing 3d art as a hobby for the past couple of years now. Mostly being doing custom weapons for First person shooters. I heard about the pandora, and thought that a handheld console designed for homebrew content and capable of 3d graphics would be a good excuse to do some lowpoly work.

I figured I'd post here and see if anybody had any projects that they wouldn't mind me latching on to. If you'd like, check the links below this for some examples of my previous work.

Link
Link
Link

All three of these around the 1500 poly range (a fair bit more than what I think would be best suited for the pandora) and have varying texture sizes. While these are all weapons, I am capable of making stuff like props. I can't do character models, but then again, I've never tried. :unsure:

So yeah.... I'm not sure what else to put here.

icurafu said:
Those are really impressive. Did you use a reference?
A bunch actually. Whenever I make weapons I usually try to gather as many pictures as I possibly can of whatever I'm making. Really helps when modeling.

And thanks by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look awesome! Way too many polies though. I'm sure someone will take you up on that, but you'll have to cut back to a few hundred if possible, and shrink the textures maybe. ;)

Nice Work,

Maybe it would be a good idea to begin by "pandora" modding (ie Improving lower res textures, etc) one of the 3D games that's likely to be ported (Suaerbraten, Quake 3, etc).

hey

I could probably make 3d characters for a game or whatever also, dunno if I can be stuffed trying to design or program a 3d game or whatever right now.

Why don't we start a community 3d project or game? anyhows I can't be stuffed thinking about such things atm, hehe. Maybe people can just post assets or whatever when they feel like it and eventually we may perceive to come together and go down a certain line, path or theme or whatever and make something or other. I think it might be an interesting prospect, where people are free todo what they like and under no presure, something I think might be quite rare in things now days. Hmm, maybe even something we could call art ;).

But yea, whether something comes from it or not doesn't matter, it's just something that will always be there. Just a thought anyhows.

Call it what you like, I like to think of it as project will, for our will is free :). But I certainly do not like the term project open, as it gives me the impression of containment, as something must be contained for it to be opened, hehe.

Out of interest, what software do you use?

cyas

Adventus said:
Nice Work,

Maybe it would be a good idea to begin by "pandora" modding (ie Improving lower res textures, etc) one of the 3D games that's likely to be ported (Suaerbraten, Quake 3, etc).
Well I could do that, but I'd need to be able to get my hands on the model/texture files for those games in order to do any sort of changes to the textures.

yosh64 said:
Why don't we start a community 3d project or game? anyhows I can't be stuffed thinking about such things atm, hehe. Maybe people can just post assets or whatever when they feel like it and eventually we may perceive to come together and go down a certain line, path or theme or whatever and make something or other. I think it might be an interesting prospect, where people are free todo what they like and under no presure, something I think might be quite rare in things now days. Hmm, maybe even something we could call art ;).
I'm not sure why we'd need to start up our own project where people just make whatever fancies them. Couldn't we just do that on our own? By our own "free will", as you might put it.

Oh, and I use 3DS Max to make my models.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey

Bah, just accidently closed the window and lost what I was gonna post :\. Well I accidently clicked on the Close All button in Opera, and without warning it closed all my tabs.

Anyhows I was saying that 3dsmax was pretty cool, and how I used it back in the day, but nevermind. But yea, for some reason I get intrigued by what software folks use, hehe. Hmm, not that it matters, as they say it's the artist not the software and ya should just use what ya prefer.

But yea, I just use blender now days and prefer it for modelling and such (I mainly do 3d characters).

I was also saying how I don't do much 3d modelling now days, hehe.

It feels kinda strange having to try rewrite what I had written before, I always find it does in such situations. Hmm, it's like should I write in past tenths or should I try rewrite word for word again? but nevermind, hehe.

Anyhows I also wanted to say that you could do such things on your own as you say, but then you may also have todo all the design, programming, audio and what not on your own. Hmm, and if you are in some sorta team then I think consequently you are usually obligated to produce something as you are all working together towards a specific goal. But yea, this is all fine... I was just suggesting something different that I thought may work out in some way or another.

I was also being a bit extreme about the art side of things, as I don't think you can really define art, as I think it's different from one person to another. I think you must respect everyones viewpoint when it comes to such things. I like to think that something is art when you are completly free todo as you will, where you have nothing but your own mind, body and what not to direct you. Although I think this may be quite a controversal outlook also, as I think there can be quite varying degrees and perceptions, as you may ask if someone who is locked inside a room can create art? or if someone who has been forced to paint a portrait is art. Anyhows I dunno, I guess it's kinda like asking how the world can exist? how can something be created from nothing? is there such a thing as nothing? such that there was always something to begin with.

Anyhows enough rambling, hehe.

But yea, none of this matters, do what suits you.

edit
geo12, I'd like to hear what has occured in the past. I'm kinda interested now :), maybe just PM me PM me as I don't really want to derail this thread any further. Has such a project been attempted before? or has there been such a thread that has sparked a bunch of pointless posts?

cya

hey

Anyhows something more on topic, I was wondering if you have made any models that have actually been used in any FPS games/mods? and if so then what games/mods? and do you have any screenshots?

Maybe you could breifly say how you got them into the game, as in did you have to add a certain skeleton or whatever?

Do you have any experience with rigging? and the workflow of getting your models from 3dsmax into a game? have you ever attempted any normal, or specular maps? and have you done any animation?

cya

When did we start discussing whether or not 3D design can be defined as art? Straying a bit off topic aren't we?

I'm a tad confused on your intentions here. Are you saying you would like to try and make our own 3rd party mod/game for the Pandora? Or that we set up a community project where people just make what they want, post it on the forums to see if anyone else can make use of what they made?

I spent most of my time goofing around in the HL2/CS:S modding scene, but not much of my work was ever put ingame so I don't have any pictures on hand.

I've never rigged a model before, but I've never had much interest in animating. Also, I've screwed around with Hi-poly models and normal map baking a few times, but I've never actually finished an entire project using those methods. I don't think something like the pandora would be able to handle normal maps and speculars anyways, it's hardware doesn't seem fit for the whole dynamic lighting gig.

From my understanding, getting a model ingame is usually a matter of finding a way to compile or export the models/animations into a format that your chosen game uses. How it's done I'm not entirely certain, I'm pretty sure it's something you have to figure out on a game by game or engine by engine basis.

hey

Yea, probably best to forget my not very well thought out and spirit of the moment idea. I was thinking more along the lines of post on forums and see if anyone else can make use of or expand into something together, but not used for other projects without permission. How the programming side of such a project would work out I have no clue.

and my rambling, hehe.

But yea, I would be impressed to see just normal mapping in a game on the pandora.

Yep, I think ya pretty much spot on about getting models/animations into a game. I think there is usually some sorta workflow specific to each game or engine. I think those who do alot of modding would have a nice idea about this, and I'm certainly not one of those people.

edit
Anyhows goodluck with finding something todo, I actually hope you find something original to work on cause I look forward to original software on the pandora :).

cya

Back