$35 Computer? Do Want!

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I saw this when I went to check my email on Yahoo, and it looks interesting.

Its a tablet computer that costs $35 US and it is due to production in 2011. Oh, and its from India.

http://ca.news.yahoo...rcheap_computer

What do you think of it? its open-source (or at least uses open-source software).

Com64 said:

Its a tablet computer that costs $35 US and it is due to production in 2011. Oh, and its from India.

What do you think of it? its open-source (or at least uses open-source software).
Cheap.could be useful for education by the sounds of the article.solar powered,why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
wrath of khan said:
Com64 said:

Cheap.could be useful for education by the sounds of the article.solar powered,why not?

yeah, i need something I can take to the park or in the car and not worry about battery. Can't wait untill it comes out, but I want to see what other people think first. I hope it gets released in the US/Canada

Holy God, how do you make a $35 tablet..

I'm still waiting for that car India's doing that's gonna be like $2000 or something. Maybe both of these things will spontaneously combust.

This is madness. The display alone will almost cost 35$. This sounds to me like a bunch of politicians boasting, and not something that will be reality anytime soon.

ARM9 Processor: $5 (Freescale i.MX233)
Memory: $3
WiFi B/G: $4
Other discret components: $3
Battery: $5
7″ 800×480 resistive touch screen: $15
Total bill of material: $35

Source: here

Don't know how much of it is truth.

khamul56 said:
ARM9 Processor: $5 (Freescale i.MX233)
Memory: $3
WiFi B/G: $4
Other discret components: $3
Battery: $5
Total bill of material: $35

Source: here

Don't know how much of it is truth.
PCB! - ?
Internal cabling - ?
Assembly labor - ?
Shipping costs - ?
Unrecoverable duties and brokerage fees - ?
administration - ?
distribution - ?
warranty returns - ?
consumable materials during assembly/soldering process - ?
packaging - ?
power adapters - ?
A half dozen other things I can't even think of right now - ?

Yeah, what a bunch of bullshit. I was discussing this with a friend tonight. It's got to be totally government subsidized and the customer just pays a percentage of the cost for educational use or whatever. Either that or its more non-sense they keep on with that never materializes.

khamul56 said:

I *wish* I'd be wiring one into every pic or avr project I do...

Exophase said:
I'm still waiting for that car India's doing that's gonna be like $2000 or something. Maybe both of these things will spontaneously combust.
I'm still waiting the 15$ laptop they annonced last year...

sebt3 said:
Exophase said:
I'm still waiting the 15$ laptop they annonced last year...
The one that turned up to be $30 USB thumbdrive?

Thanks for the reference khamul56, there were a lot of great comments there on several sort of tangential things. The tablet may really be more like $50 or even $75 by the admission of the person originally claiming $35 could be done (notably, not related to the Indian HRD which he is skeptical of for other reasons), but he makes several good points about the availability of cheap tablets. Right now you can buy really cheap ones from China, but they're not really easy to come by. The margins on iPad and similar really are outrageous, even in the context of the mainstream first world consumer market it's easy to see this, just compare the prices to that of a netbook.

The comment about $10 cell phones being sold half a billion a year to poorer countries was particularly enlightening. I really didn't even realize that so many people had cell phones now. I wouldn't have thought you could make one at such a low price.

Exophase said:
The comment about $10 cell phones being sold half a billion a year to poorer countries was particularly enlightening. I really didn't even realize that so many people had cell phones now. I wouldn't have thought you could make one at such a low price.
Funny you should mention that: I happened to walk past a rack of $15 cellphones in Tesco's today (British supermarket chain). Though hardly stylish they were quite small + slim, unlocked (there was a splash on the stand saying you needed to add your own SIM), and that price includes 17.5% VAT and presumably some form of profit margin.

Fishbong said:
This is madness. The display alone will almost cost 35$. This sounds to me like a bunch of politicians boasting, and not something that will be reality anytime soon.

Madness?? THIS IS SPARTAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exophase said:
DaMummy said:
wheres the vaporware twats when you actually need them?

All punched out.

punchout.png

Yah I saw this headline too. I was also wondering about the cost. I mean you guys would be the best people to ask because you make all this cool stuff. If you don't think it can be made for $35. Then what do you guys think it would run? I know that the Indian government plans to subsidize them, but what would be the true cost? If people overseas bought them would that hurt the Indian taxpayers or help fund the development? What ever happened to this whole OLPC thing? Wasn't that supposed to be the next big thing for poor internet users? I really liked that project, It seemed to have a lot of potential.

Back