32x compatibility

ohoho

Still Fresh
There are some videos floating around showing Virtua Racing 32x on the Pandora, just wondering if there are any other playable 32x games on the current version of picodrive?

Just waiting on a Classic Pandora to arrive before I can try it out.

There are some videos floating around showing Virtua Racing 32x on the Pandora, just wondering if there are any other playable 32x games on the current version of picodrive?

Just waiting on a Classic Pandora to arrive before I can try it out.
Star wars works can't remember if I tested any others.

Doom 32x works great on Picodrive.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, almost everything works on my classic unit. The only problem is it is not fully optimized(32x portion of Picodrive, everything else is butta), so you have to crazy overclock some games, but it runs really well.

Notaz is an emu guru and his work on Picodrive is that of legend. Sadly, there are only a handful of games and probably not worth the time to optimize to run at lower clock speeds. It does run very well, and the clockspeeds are the only real draw back that I remember.

Chris

If I remember correctly, almost everything works on my classic unit. The only problem is it is not fully optimized(32x portion of Picodrive, everything else is butta), so you have to crazy overclock some games, but it runs really well.

Notaz is an emu guru and his work on Picodrive is that of legend. Sadly, there are only a handful of games and probably not worth the time to optimize to run at lower clock speeds. It does run very well, and the clockspeeds are the only real draw back that I remember.

Chris
Funny that I can play BLACKTHRONE perfectly with the snes emu. but the 32x version on Picodrive  freezes every time on level 1.

Same settings on 1gig Pandora.

Last edited:
Well, that it is "the same settings" between two emulators does not say much. Specifically, if one emulator uses the GPU and the other does not, then the first one will be more sensitive to overclocking (since the GPU responds less well to that) and will crash at clock speeds that the other emulator will manage without problems. The first emulator will probably still be faster, though, even at lower clock speeds.

Also, the fact that a game exists in two formats does not mean that it is equally well written in both formats. I don't know about Blackthrone, but when you go back to the old 8-bit games you'll find time and time again that a game that is excellent on, say, the ZX Spectrum, is a buggy unplayable mess on the Amstrad. And things like that.

Well, that it is "the same settings" between two emulators does not say much. Specifically, if one emulator uses the GPU and the other does not, then the first one will be more sensitive to overclocking (since the GPU responds less well to that) and will crash at clock speeds that the other emulator will manage without problems. The first emulator will probably still be faster, though, even at lower clock speeds.

Also, the fact that a game exists in two formats does not mean that it is equally well written in both formats. I don't know about Blackthrone, but when you go back to the old 8-bit games you'll find time and time again that a game that is excellent on, say, the ZX Spectrum, is a buggy unplayable mess on the Amstrad. And things like that.
Would you mind trying BLACKTHRONE and let me know what you experience?  It is a great game.

Yeah Blackthorne will freeze after pressing fire. Other games work quite well though like Virtua Racing, Knuckles Chaotix & Star Wars. Virtua Fighter seems a little slow (though the fps counter stays at 60) but still very playable.

I was just going to say the same thing. A bit of googling seems to turn up the opinion that the Blackthorne 32x port was a bit of a quick hack job, so possibly it is not very well written and thus breaks some sort of 32x convention?

Well problem solved then. It is a great game IMHO and plays perfectly on the snes emulator. I am able to play many other 32x games very well and am thankful for that.

Thanks for the responses :)

Yeah Blackthorne will freeze after pressing fire. Other games work quite well though like Virtua Racing, Knuckles Chaotix & Star Wars. Virtua Fighter seems a little slow (though the fps counter stays at 60) but still very playable.
I think virtual fighter has slow downs even played on a perfectly healthy mega drive. It's not very well written and overall not a very good fighting game.

Blackthorne is better to be played on the snes, since snes has more buttons and the game looks natural. 

BTW, blackthorne is always one of my all time favorites despite being a bit too hard on later levels. ( I was one of the kid play duck hunt with light gun pressed against the screen. ) 

Back