2xzdoom Wad Selection

bman said:
Keep in mind that prboom only supports doom versions, not Hexen, Heretic, or Strife. I can throw together a Prboom selector and make it available in a couple of days.
Ah, I played Doom eternally back when, so those unsupported versions are exactly the ones I want to run. So I have to get Zdoom running.

I am sure people will appreciate a PrBoom selector, but considering my quest for Zdoom, I personally don't need it.

bman said:
One quick idea. If you leave it on the initial default (Run Doom II only), does it not work? Do NOT use "Run pwad for Doom II" with NONE.wad because it will break.

Nope, still the same message unfortunately. It looks like the problem is Zdoom, the selector works fine now I think.
I got different WADs working now though in PrBoom. I did two things that I think might have something to do with it:
changed #!/bin/bash to #!/bin/sh in .gpe file
changed DOOM.WAD to doom.wad, even though the actual file is uppercase on the SD card.

(Bash and sh are both supported? Then it has nothing to do with it ofcourse :))

Is it true that in PrBoom and Zdoom, you can specify another wad in the program's root or in one subdirectory, but not in a sub-subdirectory? Or is there a limit to number of characters in the path?

I am playing around with Gmenu2x's selector, using PrBoom while Zdoom is not yet working.

One idea from my side about failure:
Transport Tycoon doesn't work, Zdoom doesn't work, GPQuake doesn't work.. I cannot imagine they all need tweaking out of the box. Could it be (just a thought) that some hardware, like the second cpu for instance, only used by SOME software, is broken, hence the hangups in all those programs?
(For comparison, stuff that DOES work: PrBoom, PicoDrive, GMenu2X, ScummVM, Wolf3D. I don't know but maybe they happen to use only one cpu?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Redsandro said:
Is it true that in PrBoom and Zdoom, you can specify another wad in the program's root or in one subdirectory, but not in a sub-subdirectory? Or is there a limit to number of characters in the path?
I use subdirs just fine. Not sure about length limits.

Redsandro said:
I am playing around with Gmenu2x's selector, using PrBoom while Zdoom is not yet working.
Check out my prboom gmenu2x examples in the archive

Redsandro said:
One idea from my side about failure:
Transport Tycoon doesn't work, Zdoom doesn't work, GPQuake doesn't work.. I cannot imagine they all need tweaking out of the box. Could it be (just a thought) that some hardware, like the second cpu for instance, only used by SOME software, is broken, hence the hangups in all those programs?
(For comparison, stuff that DOES work: PrBoom, PicoDrive, GMenu2X, ScummVM, Wolf3D. I don't know but maybe they happen to use only one cpu?)
haven't tried TT, but ZD and GPQ work for me. I think some of the programs you mentioned may use the second CPU. Is MAME failing you as well?

bman said:
Check out my prboom gmenu2x examples in the archive
Hey, I was just checking into that. Didn't know it was your work. Thanks!

Redsandro said:

I just found out,
blah/blah/blah.wad does not work
blah/blah.wad does work.

bman said:
haven't tried TT, but ZD and GPQ work for me. I think some of the programs you mentioned may use the second CPU. Is MAME failing you as well?
I couldn't bring up the energy yet to try Mame because I've had too much trouble getting it to work in linux with configs and ROMs and BIOSses... but I just tried the PayBack demo. Probably old news to you but I was stunned.. I am guessing it uses both processors because I've never seen anything like it on gp2x. And well, it works.

Redsandro said:
Redsandro said:

I just found out,
blah/blah/blah.wad does not work
blah/blah.wad does work.

Hmm, I start Zdoom with pwads in wad/doom2/wadname.wad and that seems to still work.

bman said:
Hmm, I start Zdoom with pwads in wad/doom2/wadname.wad and that seems to still work.

Interesting.. not sure but maybe that's a difference between Zdoom and PrBoom.

I couldn't get a launcher to work with wads in select_doom2/wads/wadname.wad and all I did was change it to sel_d2wads/wadname.wad to make it work. If it's not the subdirectory thing, then it must be the more-than-8-characters-in-a-dirname-is-illegal thing or something.

I'll get some wads into a zip and have a complete pack ready for download soon (for people like me who'd like that). Without the ID wads ofcourse, except for a shareware, and too bad there is no Doom2 or Final Doom shareware.

ok, this took me forever to find out...

Even if your WADs are UPPER CASE named, all WAD names passed as an argument to PrBoom should be LOWER CASE.

I'm ashamed to admid finding out was a waste of nothing less than a good hour.. :blush:
.. and I thought I was smart by preserving the case in the scripts and selector..
(Also GMenu2X converts everything to lowercase even if you select something upper case)

Nice! Though I just finished my PWAD pack for PrBoom with the GMenu2X built-in selector.

It's real nasty scripting on the F200 where you see no output and have to hook up the SD to your PC everytime in order to see the output logs, even for the simplest commands.

Seems that GP2X likes everything appended with ./ where i.e. Ubuntu does not.

Now without further ado,

PrBoom PWAD pack - for playing with Doom IWADs
  • 150 MB of WADs pre-installed
  • GMenu2X based selector, launchers included
  • Small Timidity bank for music
  • Savegame rotator script - Every WAD has its own savegames.
There are probably bugs. I haven't found one, but I haven't exactly tested for hours either.

-edit-

I waited for the upload to finish to post this and didn't see your edit yet. I don't need a selector anymore, but I want to take a look anyway. Did you forget a link or am I supposed to know? (sorry :p)

Redsandro said:
-edit-
I waited for the upload to finish to post this and didn't see your edit yet. I don't need a selector anymore, but I want to take a look anyway. Did you forget a link or am I supposed to know? (sorry :p)
Takes a while for approval. It's there now.

So which one is better to use now PRboom or Zdoom?

I noticed with HacX zdoom gets pretty choppy, how is it with PRboom?

DaveC said:
I still cannot get Zdoom to work, so that isn't very good is it? ;)

But if it was working, then btman is right. Zdoom is in active development and supports a broader range of games. It runs heretic an strife as well. So I *really* want the damn thing to work and I don't get why it won't.

On the other hand, I still read very recent 'bug'fix requests where Zdoom isn't behaving like the real Doom (shooting monsters on platforms is more tricky, probably fixed by now) and more importantly, Zdoom waits at least 3 times longer before it's started. So I would say, for Doom-only type of WADs I prefer PrBoom. For Strife, Heretic etc. + mods, I need Zdoom to work.

I don't know about choppynes I only played Hacx for a brief moment and it was okay. But now that there is an out-of-the-box PrBoom package, there's no reason not to try out for yourself! ;)

@btman:

Hey, that's actually a selector for Zdoom in stead of PrBoom, which I thought you meant when you said "selector for PB1.2". That's cool. I'm gonna try it out soon; maybe I can get it to work on my F200! :)

@btman:

One problem with your selector I noticed is that I copied the strife WADs straight from the floppie files I had since a million years ago, and the WADs are called as follows (dos 8.3 names):

STRIFE1.WAD
VOICE.WAD

Your scripts seem to want:
strife.wad
voices.wad

You may want to put a rename notice in your next release because I only found out because of the added strife.gpe in this release.

Anyhow, even if I run Zdoom directly, I still get it to hang at this message:
zdoom.jpg

stdout.txt:CODE
Standard output and error logging...
ZDoom v2.2.0 - SVN revision 748 - SDL version
Compiled on Jul 31 2008

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
GP2X_InputInit: Initialize Pad input.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding ./wad/zdoom.pk3
adding ./wad/strife/strife.wad (3985 lumps)
adding ./wad/strife/voices.wad (373 lumps)
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
SDL Audio Opened
Could Not Initialise Timidity
Sound init failed. Using nosound.
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
P_Init: Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
TEAMINFO_Init: Load team definitions.
LoadDecorations: Load external actors.
R_Init: Init Strife refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.

stderr.txt has no contents.

Since you run this on F200, and my SD card turned out to be fake, I'm back to being scared that somehow there's an error in my GP2x Esp. since I bought it through ebay.. but the package was sealed, everything was sealed, looks 100% new, Payback runs and I am out of ideas..

Redsandro said:
@btman:

One problem with your selector I noticed is that I copied the strife WADs straight from the floppie files I had since a million years ago, and the WADs are called as follows (dos 8.3 names):

STRIFE1.WAD
VOICE.WAD

Your scripts seem to want:
strife.wad
voices.wad
Iwad specifications are not case sensitive. ALL original WAD data is caps. They all start fine. However, I did typo the strife1 text. I will resubmit. I must have inadvertently renamed it.

Redsandro said:
You may want to put a rename notice in your next release because I only found out because of the added strife.gpe in this release.
Not clear enough ;)
Version: 2xZdoomPB1.2

Redsandro said:
Since you run this on F200, and my SD card turned out to be fake, I'm back to being scared that somehow there's an error in my GP2x Esp. since I bought it through ebay.. but the package was sealed, everything was sealed, looks 100% new, Payback runs and I am out of ideas..
I am unsure why you get stuck but if you can run everything else then we may just have a config problem. Try to run zdoom from 2xZdoom220.gpe. It should pick the first useable iwad and start it. Worst case, and you probably did this before, copy the zdoom zip into a clean dir, copy one iwad (i.e. DOOM2.wad) into ./wad and start 2xZdoom220.gpe. It really should start. Maybe Adventus can help you out. Check the zdoom thread.

DaveC said:

I noticed with HacX zdoom gets pretty choppy, how is it with PRboom?
prboom has served me really well for most wads I've played. I am stuck in HACX on the first level after an elevator shaft I can't enter the tunnel. It won't let me through. It plays fairly well, though. It also seems fine in zdoom.

@Redsandro Are you using PB1.1? If your using PB1.1 and you don't have timidity installed at "/mnt/sd/timidity" you must pass the cmd line argument "-nosound" or it will freeze as you say. 2xZdoom PB1.2 will handle "cant find timidity" fine, it also lets you specify an alternative timidity location.

Thanks for helping me.

bman said:
Iwad specifications are not case sensitive. ALL original WAD data is caps. They all start fine. However, I did typo the strife1 text. I will resubmit. I must have inadvertently renamed it.
Ah ok well I think I had a cap problem with PrBoom, but anyway note that your voices.wad is also difference from the original voice.wad. Or I have a weird version (of Strife), who knows. :p

Adventus said:
If your using PB1.1 and you don't have timidity installed at "/mnt/sd/timidity" you must pass the cmd line argument "-nosound" or it will freeze as you say. 2xZdoom PB1.2 will handle "cant find timidity" fine, it also lets you specify an alternative timidity location.
I searched through all the readme's to find what this PB1.1 PB1.2 is all about. My confusion began when I thought it meant PrBoom. And I finally found that the zip it came in is called 2xZdoom_PB1.1.zip, so even though I logged the output and there wasn't any, I finally understand it's lack of timidity that caused it to freeze at the gameloop begin!

Now I get it.. I downloaded PB1.2 and Strife launches! Great!
However, I don't have sound (at all).

Redsandro said:
bman said:

Ah ok well I think I had a cap problem with PrBoom, but anyway note that your voices.wad is also difference from the original voice.wad. Or I have a weird version (of Strife), who knows. :p

I did some research and the strife1/voice was shareware and the strife/voices was full version. Seems you are using shareware. You can start with "Run_selected_file_as_IWAD" but will miss voice.wad. Renaming them will work fine.

Redsandro said:
Now I get it.. I downloaded PB1.2 and Strife launches! Great!
However, I don't have sound (at all).
The prboom wiki has this link for the timidity package.

I have the full version of Strife and the files I have are strife1.wad and voices.wad. The shareware copy I have has a strife0.wad and is missing the voices.wad file

frefol said:
I have the full version of Strife and the files I have are strife1.wad and voices.wad. The shareware copy I have has a strife0.wad and is missing the voices.wad file
Thank you for the clarification. I will have to update the selector to reflect that.

I initially had the same issues as Redsandro when it came to running zDoom and the game selector. I initially placed the files into zDoom directory (Keeping the sub-directory structures the same with the WAD files in its designated folder) and ran the game using the selector. The screen had turned black with the message: D_DOOMLOOP: GAME LOOP BEGIN.

I waited patiently but no game loaded after 10 minutes. So I checked the log files (stdout.txt & stderr.txt), stderr.txt was blank but stdout.txt had D_DOOMLOOP: GAME LOOP BEGIN was the only message in the log. To me it seemed that it had worked but may have needed a bit more time for it to load. So I tried again for 30 minutes but still no game loaded. I change some of the scripts so that it'll point towards the directory that I had the game in but still had the same error message and logs.

I noticed that in the zdoom file for the port shows it pointing to 2xZdoom220 as the directory so I created a new directory with that name and installed a fresh copy of zDoom with the selector into it with the WAD's in its folder as by me modifying these files seems to be getting me nowhere fast and Eureka! It finally worked (Without sound)...

I'm one for keeping directory names clear and short but on this occasion I'm biting the bullet and letting the port do the naming for me (Only because it'll work, of course :p ).

So the port now resides on my SD card as follows:

./mnt/sd/Ports/2xZdoom220

With all WAD files in lower case.

I know that within the 2xZdoom220.gpe you are able to specify where the timidity directory is located on the SD card but can this be added to the selector or be able to use a timidity.cfg file to point to it?

At present my timidity is in:

./mnt/sd/Applications/timidity

And contains:

./timidity.cfg
./instruments (Folder)
./instruments/*.pat files

As you may have gathered that I'm a little scared/lazy to mess around with the scripts again in case I'll break this working game.

FYI, I have a GP2x-F200 with firmware 4.0.0.

Fantastic job in giving these golden oldies a new lease of life with the GP2X port of zDoom. Keep up the great work folks!

Tag5 said:
I know that within the 2xZdoom220.gpe you are able to specify where the timidity directory is located on the SD card but can this be added to the selector or be able to use a timidity.cfg file to point to it?
Have you tried putting a timidity.cfg in the zdoom dir and adding a dir statement in it? The selector was really written around getting the pwads to play, not making zdoom configs work. You can modify the script however suits your purpose, though, by simply editing the Zdoom file.

Back