2xzdoom Wad Selection

ginestar

Still Fresh
Hey guys!!!!
Just installed the 2xzdoom on my gp2x (new on that) but im trying to get to load any of the wad files i have on my wad folder and i dont really know how i can do that. i heard something about "shellscrips" but i dont know how to create them. Can somebody give me a hand!? Thanks!

ginestar said:
trying to get to load any of the wad files i have on my wad folder and i dont really know how i can do that. i heard something about "shellscrips" but i dont know how to create them. Can somebody give me a hand!? Thanks!
shell scripts are just the commands to start the program in a text file.
copy the included 2xZdoom220.gpe to another file, i.e doom2.gpe
copy doom2.wad and any other iwad(doom,hexen,heretic) or pwad(biowar,alien,etc.) into wad directory
edit the file (use wordpad or a unix file editor)
add the following to the end of the line: -iwad doom2.wad
that will start doom2; any other main game can be started the same way (i.e. -iwad hexen.wad)
to start add-on games you can add this at the end of the line: -iwad doom2.wad -file biowar.wad
it can get more complicated for starting at different levels, you'll have to read the txt file
maybe I'll write a selector wrapper that will start the main games; that could help folks

Last edited by a moderator:
Example WAD selector using, of course, selector. Data between => <=. Will work to start default games and pwads and dehacks. (unix editor only). Made a new background, too. I'll have to put in the archive if people need it.

Zdoom_selector.gpe (can't use menu wrapper since 2xzdoom exits to gmenu2x)
===>
#!/bin/sh
./selector ./Zdoom_config
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
<===

Zdoom_config
===>
#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.3
#Zdoom template - bman 08/04/08
#Language code (EN,TR,ES)
langCode=EN
#Full path to skin files
#fondo.png (320x240)
skinPath=./
#Interface elements disposition
#layoutCode=0 copyright + command on top, help on bottom
#layoutCode=1 no copyright, command on bottom
layoutCode=0
#selectRectangle=0 no selection rectangle
#selectRectangle=1 green rectangle selection
#selectRectangle=2 no selection rectangle, uses <-- identifier
#selectRectangle=3 green selection rectangle, uses <-- identifier
selectRectangle=2
# scrollWrap=0 no scroll wrap
# scrollWrap=1 scroll wrap
# scrollWrap=2 no scroll wrap, left/right pages
# scrollWrap=3 scroll active, left/right pages
scrollWrap=2
#doubleColumn=0 single column
#doubleColumn=1 double column
doubleColumn=1
#command line
# run direct games (DoomII,Plutonia,Hexen,Heretic,etc.)
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Doom_II only doom2
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Doom_II_Plutonia only plutonia
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Doom_II_Evilution only tnt
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Strife only strife
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Heretic only heretic
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Hexen only hexen
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Doom only doom
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_selected_file_as_IWAD use IWAD
# Run add-on games
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Doom_II with doom2
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Heretic with heretic
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Hexen with hexen
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Doom with doom
#path to base directory for file explorer
# sub directories help identify games
baseDir=./wad
#File filters
fileFilter=wad
fileFilter=deh
<===

Zdoom (shellscript to put it all together)
===>
# zdoom selector script
# 08/04/08 bman
# 08/05/08 bman - syntax fixes
# Extract the selected path/file and extension (only supports .wad,.deh,.warp)
ext=`echo $4|cut -f3 -d.`
fil=`echo $4|cut -f2 -d.`
case $2 in
'use' )
# Are we substituting a default IWAD?
iwad="$4"
;;
'with' )
# Are we running a default IWAD?
iwad="$3.wad"
# Are we using a Dehack?
if [ "$ext" = "deh" ] ; then
pwad="-file .$fil.wad -deh $4"
else
pwad="-file $4"
fi
# Are we warping anywhere?
if [ -f .$fil.warp ] ; then
lvl="-warp `cat .$fil.warp`"
fi
;;
'only' )
# Are we running default games?
iwad="$3.wad"
if [ "$3" = "strife" ] ; then
pwad="-file voices.wad"
fi
;;
* )
# Anything else doesn't work
exit 1
;;
esac
# Run the parms
exec ./2xZdoom220 -width 320 -height 240 -heapsize 8 -iwad $iwad $pwad $lvl
<===

Tested with all main games and a few pwads. Enjoy.

bman said:
Example WAD selector using, of course, selector. Data between => <=. Will work to start default games and pwads and dehacks. (unix editor only). Made a new background, too. I'll have to put in the archive if people need it.

Zdoom_selector.gpe (can't use menu wrapper since 2xzdoom exits to gmenu2x)
===>
#!/bin/sh
./selector ./Zdoom_config
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
<===

Zdoom_config
===>
#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.3
#Zdoom template - bman 08/04/08
#Language code (EN,TR,ES)
langCode=EN
#Full path to skin files
#fondo.png (320x240)
skinPath=./
#Interface elements disposition
#layoutCode=0 copyright + command on top, help on bottom
#layoutCode=1 no copyright, command on bottom
layoutCode=0
#selectRectangle=0 no selection rectangle
#selectRectangle=1 green rectangle selection
#selectRectangle=2 no selection rectangle, uses <-- identifier
#selectRectangle=3 green selection rectangle, uses <-- identifier
selectRectangle=2
# scrollWrap=0 no scroll wrap
# scrollWrap=1 scroll wrap
# scrollWrap=2 no scroll wrap, left/right pages
# scrollWrap=3 scroll active, left/right pages
scrollWrap=2
#doubleColumn=0 single column
#doubleColumn=1 double column
doubleColumn=1
#command line
# run direct games (DoomII,Plutonia,Hexen,Heretic,etc.)
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Doom_II_Plutonia only plutonia
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Doom_II_Evilution only tnt
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Strife only strife
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Heretic only heretic
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Hexen only hexen
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_Doom only doom
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_selected_file_as_IWAD use IWAD
# Run add-on games
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Doom_II with doom2
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Heretic with heretic
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Hexen with hexen
cmdLine=./Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Doom with doom
#path to base directory for file explorer
# sub directories help identify games
baseDir=./wad
#File filters
fileFilter=wad
fileFilter=deh
<===

Zdoom (shellscript to put it all together)
===>
# zdoom selector script
# 08/04/08 bman
# 08/05/08 bman - syntax fixes
# Extract the selected path/file and extension (only supports .wad,.deh,.warp)
ext=`echo $4|cut -f3 -d.`
fil=`echo $4|cut -f2 -d.`
case $2 in
'use' )
# Are we substituting a default IWAD?
iwad="$4"
;;
'with' )
# Are we running a default IWAD?
iwad="$3.wad"
# Are we using a Dehack?
if [ "$ext" = "deh" ] ; then
pwad="-file .$fil.wad -deh $4"
else
pwad="-file $4"
fi
# Are we warping anywhere?
if [ -f .$fil.warp ] ; then
lvl="-warp `cat .$fil.warp`"
fi
;;
'only' )
# Are we running default games?
iwad="$3.wad"
if [ "$3" = "strife" ] ; then
pwad="-file voices.wad"
fi
;;
* )
# Anything else doesn't work
exit 1
;;
esac
# Run the parms
exec ./2xZdoom220 -width 320 -height 240 -heapsize 8 -iwad $iwad $pwad $lvl
<===

Tested with all main games and a few pwads. Enjoy.

Thanks so much mate! any chance u ca put that on the archive ready to use? wouldnt know how u do it. thanks again

Hey again. Just installed the selector that is up in the archive but i cant get it to work. When ever i pick a wad file the program finishes. What am i doing worng?

ginestar said:
Hey again. Just installed the selector that is up in the archive but i cant get it to work. When ever i pick a wad file the program finishes. What am i doing worng?
You copied the contents of the zip to your zdoom dir?
You also added the WADS for the games (or a game)?
What option did you select?
check the stdout.txt file to tell you what zdoom said it did.

bman said:

How do you use this?

I used the one you did with everything combined in the archive. With that no matter which WAD I select and try to run all I get is DoomII.

I am confused. Won't that one run everything through Selector? What is all of that stuff above ? Do I need that too? does it all go into one file? Do some parts go in different places? If so what goes where?

Thanks.

DaveC said:
bman said:

How do you use this?

I used the one you did with everything combined in the archive. With that no matter which WAD I select and try to run all I get is DoomII.

I am confused. Won't that one run everything through Selector? What is all of that stuff above ? Do I need that too? does it all go into one file? Do some parts go in different places? If so what goes where?

Thanks.

The above is my first stab at the zdoom selector (pretty close to it though.) You have all the updated code in the archive.

The reason you only get Doom2 is because that is default #1. It will ignore all other parms.

You need to cycle the options through A/Y to change the way you run zdoom.

To get a DOOM2 pwad to run, use the "Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Doom_II with doom2" option and select the pwad from the doom2 subdirectory. Same goes for the other games. Only caviat is that any warp or deh files have to be the same name. I didn't get too fancy. To get "Deathkings" for Hexen to work you can use "Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Hexen with hexen" and select hexdd.wad.

Keep in mind, selecting a incompatible pwad will most likely crash zdoom. That's why I created the subdirs. I could build logic in there in the future that always runs the right game if someone selects a pwad from a specific dir.

bman said:
DaveC said:
bman said:

How do you use this?

Thanks.

The above is my first stab at the zdoom selector (pretty close to it though.) You have all the updated code in the archive.

The reason you only get Doom2 is because that is default #1. It will ignore all other parms.

You need to cycle the options through A/Y to change the way you run zdoom.

To get a DOOM2 pwad to run, use the "Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Doom_II with doom2" option and select the pwad from the doom2 subdirectory. Same goes for the other games. Only caviat is that any warp or deh files have to be the same name. I didn't get too fancy. To get "Deathkings" for Hexen to work you can use "Zdoom Run_pwad_for_Hexen with hexen" and select hexdd.wad.

Keep in mind, selecting a incompatible pwad will most likely crash zdoom. That's why I created the subdirs. I could build logic in there in the future that always runs the right game if someone selects a pwad from a specific dir.

Ok thanks I will try that. It was a bit confusing. Also the picture on the bottom for START and EXIT are backwards. So if you just go by position they are opposite! You have to look at the symbol to get it right. I can fix the picture it is not a big deal though.

How can you tell what is a pwad and what is an iwad? I guess you need to know to know what to run with what. Too bad it couldn't be set up to just select the wad and it would know what it needs to do to run. Even if you had to edit something once but from then on it would work just by picking the wad.

Do you know why I can't shoot monsters on higher platforms? For example in Doom2 the first room on the left in the beginning with the blue floor I can't shoot theguys on top of those platforms? I set the infinite tall option but that didn't work.

DaveC said:
Also the picture on the bottom for START and EXIT are backwards. So if you just go by position they are opposite! You have to look at the symbol to get it right. I can fix the picture it is not a big deal though.
Arghh, I'll have to fix. So much for getting 1.0 right :(

DaveC said:
How can you tell what is a pwad and what is an iwad? I guess you need to know to know what to run with what. Too bad it couldn't be set up to just select the wad and it would know what it needs to do to run. Even if you had to edit something once but from then on it would work just by picking the wad.
iwads are the originals (doom,doom2,tnt,plutonia,hexen,heretic,strife). zdoom needs those names so they probably shouldn't be changed. Some mods use additional iwads so I added that option.
pwads are all the add-on levels, but they all say .wad, go figure. They should, however, NOT be named like any of the above. You should select the proper game to run them with, though.
Not sure how to autoconfigure pwads to ensure the right game is selected. That's what the subdirs are for :)

DaveC said:
Do you know why I can't shoot monsters on higher platforms?
no clue

I've got a problem were I get a message and selector quits. I cannot read it. I think it is in Dutch or something.
no se pudo acceder al direct

Any idea what to do?

DaveC said:
Do you know why I can't shoot monsters on higher platforms? For example in Doom2 the first room on the left in the beginning with the blue floor I can't shoot theguys on top of those platforms? I set the infinite tall option but that didn't work.
figured it out:
Smart Autoaim - ON
Allow Freelook - NO

Redsandro said:
I've got a problem were I get a message and selector quits. I cannot read it. I think it is in Dutch or something.
no se pudo acceder al direct
Any idea what to do?

I think it's spanish (no direct access?); not sure what it means.
Anyway, download the archive, unzip to where you placed zdoom and run Zdoom_selector.gpe. Use A/Y to change the launch options. You will need at least one game wad to work zdoom.

Thanks, but I was using that exact same file! But also 2xZdoom won't start, the screen remains black.

I just extracted both archives in the same folder, /game/zDoom/
I use 2xZDoom 2.2.0 GP2X, although the downloaded archive is named 2xZdoom_PB1.1.zip.

-update-

I recopied all files to Zdoom in stead of zDoom, maybe it's unrelated but now it works.
However, Zdoom still does not work. After 15 seconds of black screen it sais:CODE
D_DOOMLOOP: GAME LOOP BEGIN.
and the screen remains black.

Redsandro said:
I just extracted both archives in the same folder, /game/zDoom/

05-08-2008 09:48 73,158 fondo.png
05-08-2008 08:52 142,152 selector
05-08-2008 14:03 2,891 Zdoom.png
08-08-2008 14:17 1,854 Zdoom.cfg
05-08-2008 14:45 988 Zdoom.sh
01-01-1980 00:00 277 Zdoom_selector.gpe
05-08-2008 14:03 2,891 Zdoom_selector.png
05-08-2008 15:09 1,441 Zdoom_selector_README.txt
OK, I see you changed Zdoom to Zdoom.sh - selector config calls Zdoom only.
I also see that the Zdoom_selector.gpe is not my original and you seem to have a Zdoom.cfg instead of a Zdoom_config
I can't help you if you change around the code. I don't know what you did. Please copy the zip contents back in there and start Zdoom_selector.gpe
If you are still having problems then we can look at the output.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I edited those files, and the error was also there before I did any edit. Anyway, I retried.

I edited my post because I thought no-one replied yet, but that's because of this boards' cache problem (it doesn't force caching disabled). So here's my add:
Redsandro said:
-update-

I recopied all files to Zdoom in stead of zDoom, maybe it's unrelated but now it works.
However, Zdoom still does not work. After 15 seconds of black screen it sais:CODE
So the selector works, but Zdoom only displays this message.
(is it F200 compatible?)

I haven't got SDL installed but I thought I read somewhere firmware 4.0.0 doesn't need that.

Redsandro said:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I edited those files, and the error was also there before I did any edit. Anyway, I retried.

I edited my post because I thought no-one replied yet, but that's because of this boards' cache problem (it doesn't force caching disabled). So here's my add:
Redsandro said:
-update-

So the selector works, but Zdoom only displays this message.
(is it F200 compatible?)

I haven't got SDL installed but I thought I read somewhere firmware 4.0.0 doesn't need that.

I have an original F200 FW4.0 and I get 15 seconds, then DOOMLOOP message, then intro screen. I have successfully tested all supported wads and they play fine. Read stderr.txt or stdout.txt to get a hint what's going on. Worst case copy the zdoom zip and selector zip into a brand new directory, add DOOM2.wad and start it again. This isn't related to your SD card problem, is it?

No, this SD is perfect. While solving problems with the other card, I am borrowing an expensive A brand SD card from my digital camera. No problems there.

stdout.txt sais:
sh: gcc: command not found

stdout.txt sais a whole lot of things that look normal up to the game loop message. Only thing that pops out is that it gives a list of WADs and asks 'which one?' yet I think it automatically chooses one because the init process continues.

What is the difference between PrBoom and Zdoom?
Because PrBoom works fine (and boots a lot faster), so maybe I can setup file selector with PrBoom.
I couldn't get the methods described in this topic to work though.

Redsandro said:
stdout.txt sais:
sh: gcc: command not found
Your stdout must have data from something else. shouldn't be getting compiler message for zdoom

Redsandro said:
What is the difference between PrBoom and Zdoom?
Because PrBoom works fine (and boots a lot faster), so maybe I can setup file selector with PrBoom.
I couldn't get the methods described in this topic to work though.

The parms are the same I use for Zdoom (-file,-iwad,-deh,-warp) so you could technically rename Zdoom to Prboom and change the start script to reflect that. (i.e. ./2xZdoom220 -> ./prboom). Keep in mind that prboom only supports doom versions, not Hexen, Heretic, or Strife. I can throw together a Prboom selector and make it available in a couple of days. Since Adventus is working on improvements, I'd rather stick with the zdoom port since there are known limitations with prboom because of the release level (2.2.5 in 2004 vs 2.4.7 in 2008)

This still doesn't resolve your issue, though. Maybe other people can say whether they are experiencing the same problems. So far I have heard that people were working. Check the Zdoom thread.

One quick idea. If you leave it on the initial default (Run Doom II only), does it not work? Do NOT use "Run pwad for Doom II" with NONE.wad because it will break.

Back