2gb Sd Supported??

joele

Still Fresh
Any idea whether 2GB SD cards will be supported from day 1?

I have found some SD devices (OK more than some) don't support them?

None of us would know yet for sure but Craig might know?

joele posted on Sep 21 2005 at 11:31 AM said:
Any idea whether 2GB SD cards will be supported from day 1?

I have found some SD devices (OK more than some) don't support them?

None of us would know yet for sure but Craig might know?

Gamepark mentioned 2Gb then 4Gb there us a big fat sd thread that covers things like MMC cards and other stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
all these cards should be supported.

2 gb card are becoming cheaper by the day, 4gb cards are around $300. 1gb cards are easily the best value though.

x68000 posted on Sep 21 2005 at 11:40 AM said:
all these cards should be supported.

2 gb card are becoming cheaper by the day, 4gb cards are around $300. 1gb cards are easily the best value though.

Yeah 2 x 1gb cards on ebay would be slightly cheaper than 1 x 2gb card, but the convieniance of a single card with that much space does have its advantages... decisions... decisions....

And its disadvantages... never used SD really before, but I presume that, like Smartmedia, there is the occasional tendency for static to wipe the card. If you're on several cards, you only use a portion of what you had if you didn't backup; on one card, you lose the lot.

Of course, using the NAND flash for saves would effectively remove this problem, but only if the saves were all small enough to fit :).

Am I personally the only person who'd be scared to use the NAND flash due to the fact that it's not easy replacable?

Tobriand posted on Sep 21 2005 at 01:37 PM said:
And its disadvantages... never used SD really before, but I presume that, like Smartmedia, there is the occasional tendency for static to wipe the card. If you're on several cards, you only use a portion of what you had if you didn't backup; on one card, you lose the lot.

I have always used SD, in digital cameras / DSLR and pocket PC and have never had this happen to me before... I backup using my 40GB Portable Storage device, so it is easier to backup 1 card than 2... ;-)

I think though if static when handling the card could cause this using multiple cards means you would handle the cards more, than leaving one 2gb card in all the time...

Maybe not static then; that was me jumping to a conclusion. But anyone who's used a GP32 for longer than about 2 months will almost certainly have come across the mystery if the disappearing SMC where everything on a card just... vanishes.

However, if this doesn't happen for SD card's it'll be a nice little extra bonus; storage for the GP32 was and is fairly reliable, but its still not perfect by a long way.

I dont beleive I've even had a SMC get wiped completely but I have had it cease to function for several days and then suddenly start working again but that could have just ben weak batteries.

I did had a 256mb SD card completely die on me, about a year ago. I left it in my Digicam while it was on and the batteries were dying which they did before it could retract the lense and shut off safely, not it just completly fails to work. My camera can't reformat it, and when I use my card reader it wont even show up on the 'my computer' window. I just got permission by email yesterday, so I'm actually about to send it back to Sandisk for a replacement.

Tobriand posted on Sep 21 2005 at 09:37 AM said:

Of course, using the NAND flash for saves would effectively remove this problem, but only if the saves were all small enough to fit :).

Static will never touch it if you're using only one big card and never remove it from the system. :p

Tobriand posted on Sep 22 2005 at 12:52 AM said:
Maybe not static then; that was me jumping to a conclusion. But anyone who's used a GP32 for longer than about 2 months will almost certainly have come across the mystery if the disappearing SMC where everything on a card just... vanishes.

Humm... I never had that problem with any of my 14 SMCs for my GP32...

But AFAIK SD-Cards are one of the most reliable cards out there.

Last edited:
Alpha2 posted on Sep 21 2005 at 10:59 PM said:
I did had a 256mb SD card completely die on me, about a year ago. I left it in my Digicam while it was on and the batteries were dying which they did before it could retract the lense and shut off safely, not it just completly fails to work. My camera can't reformat it, and when I use my card reader it wont even show up on the 'my computer' window. I just got permission by email yesterday, so I'm actually about to send it back to Sandisk for a replacement.

I had that happen twice with standard Sandisk cards (replaced under warranty though), I switched brands and now use Kingston and Tekq cards (and have done the last few years) and have never had any problems with SD cards at all since then.

Back