2d Scrolling Shooters

Amon_Re posted on Dec 13 2006 at 08:02 AM said:
Am i the only one that likes Gyruss? :(
Actually I think I have played Gyruss and it was quite fun :)

Edit: Yes I was right, it's on my MAME favourite list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xenon 2 has already been mentioned but I haven't posted for ages and didn't fancy joining in the "what's your favorite resolution? well you're wrong" thread, the only bit i like is saving up for all the weapons at once for a quick megablast and then dying. Being able to buy power ups at the shop and chosing what to have rather than just flying into it was good. And the Bomb the Bass soundtrack was worth buying, so I did.

How many scrolling shooters are there anyway? and how many variations? I have only played a few aeroplane and space ship ones, they were all a bit samey.

Good luck with the project

Amon_Re posted on Dec 13 2006 at 07:02 PM said:
Am i the only one that likes Gyruss? :(
Well, Gyruss isn't really a scrolling game. Don't get me wrong, I love Gyruss. Great Game. But I catergorize it with Galaga and Galaxian rather than the scrolling genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Concerning PowerManga) - you need to know how to fight them, i got up to the 28th level and only started having troubles at the 25th, you need to have the homing rockets really strong, hold fire and let them blast at the boss, they require no aiming at all so it leaves you able to spend time to dodge the bosses attacks while landing alot of attacks at him (btw if you havent caught the drift, powermanga is one of my favorite shumps of all time and probably the most played game on my 2x!)

With that hot tip, I was able to keep playing past several bosses. Basically I had to put it down and go to sleep. Incredibly fun shooter. Seemingly endless varieties of enemies (though most just lazily rotate and drift down the screen).

Is this a GP2X original or port of some kind? Someone put a lot of energy into this title.

I've seen lots of greater shooters mentioned in this thread. Makes me want to play them all again :)
Scramble, Gradius, Gyruss, 1942, Flying Shark, Salamander, R-Type, Battle Squadron, Xenon 2...

But so far no one has mentioned Zaxxon. The original isometric shooter. Available on all the early 80's consoles. A real classic. Wonderful challenging game play. You're guiding your fighter through a detailed maze of obstacles and enemies.

Or if you want something more flashy try Viewpoint. A Zaxxon inspired shooter for Neo-Geo.

Edit: I better mention that some might not consider Zaxxon to be a 2D scrolling shooter. It uses an isometric view so maybe it should be placed in its own rare category :)

well, my personal faves are Pulsar, Blazing Star, Metal SLug, Shock Troopers, and a few more (neo geo shumps are the best!)

Back