280mhz Tested Mk1 Units

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
These are the rest of the MK1 units as promised, I noticed a couple are marked first edition too.

280Mhz, some goto 300Mhz. They are upgraded by GPH with the new headphone port, joystick cap etc.

Ideal for MAME box, Amiga, Breakout Board etc. £75 each.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330148806420

All we have left after this is spare parts. Email orders@cdworld.co.uk for spares.

Is the stick problem sorted (rotated 45 degrees) in these units?

No, they're the original GP2Xs with a superb overclock rate and arguably superior MK1 screen.

Well, it's going to be a long post... :p

I have some questions that I hope someone could answer :)

Firstly, what's the difference between the mk1 and the mk2 version? Because I am planning to buy a GP2X for some time, and since this auction is on, I'm really thinking about buying this version.

Secondly, do You get anything else except the console on this auction (like USB cable, headphones etc.)? Is it in the original box? :rolleyes:

Why is this new joystick cap put on? I mean what's the difference between it and the older one? :p

Can the Firmware be upgraded to 3.0.0? ( You can laugh if it's a stupid question :p )

How much is the shipping to Poland? (I'm sorry I didn't ask on the ebay service, but I don't have an account there yet :) )

...why is it only £75? :p ( I know, if I like to, I can pay more :p )

Looking forward to your replies :D

gumol said:
Well, it's going to be a long post... :p

I have some questions that I hope someone could answer :)

Firstly, what's the difference between the mk1 and the mk2 version? Because I am planning to buy a GP2X for some time, and since this auction is on, I'm really thinking about buying this version.
The screen in the Mk1 has a wider viewig angle, and it seems to be less colorful that the "over saturated" MK2 screen. (I, for one, like the MK2 screen.)

gumol said:
Secondly, do You get anything else except the console on this auction (like USB cable, headphones etc.)? Is it in the original box? :rolleyes:
No, I don't think it comes with anything. You won't really need anything either. Just check out http://www.gpnewbie.com

gumol said:
Why is this new joystick cap put on? I mean what's the difference between it and the older one? :p
The new cap is much more grippier than the old one.

gumol said:
Can the Firmware be upgraded to 3.0.0? ( You can laugh if it's a stupid question :p )
Yes, but they're already running 2.1.2, which is the best firmware. (3.0.0 doesn't add any real features compared to 2.1.2, and it increases the GP2X's boot time.)

gumol said:
How much is the shipping to Poland? (I'm sorry I didn't ask on the ebay service, but I don't have an account there yet :) )
No clue. :)

gumol said:
...why is it only £75? :p ( I know, if I like to, I can pay more :p )
I guess he's just trying to get rid of 'em, no real reason to worry, anyway.

gumol said:
Looking forward to your replies :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You very much rememberthe8bit :)

The screen in the Mk1 has a wider viewig angle, and it seems to be less colorful that the "over saturated" MK2 screen. (I, for one, like the MK2 screen.)

Is this really the only difference between the mk1 and mk2? I know I'm very (can't think of a word :p maybe... pain in the ass? :D ) but £75 + I guess £15 for shipping is quite a bit for me, and I want to spend this cash wisely :)

No, I don't think it comes with anything. You won't really need anything either. Just check out http://www.gpnewbie.com

But hmm... what about the USB cable? If I don't get it with the console than where can I buy it? Is it a common USB cable, or a special and "hard to get" one? :)

To craigix: Could You tell me, do I also get the original box in the auction? Or anything else? :) And how much are the shipping costs to Poland?

If they don't come with a USB lead (though I expect they will), you can just use any standard mini-B USB cable.

Another one gone. :D

Oh btw, Craigix, Is it possible for me to have one that is NOT marked up as a First Edition, I had already purchased a FE GP2x from you a couple of years ago, And was not too impressed with the FE. It was nicked a while later :-(. Much appreciated if it is possible.

Trooper

gumol said:
Thank You very much rememberthe8bit :)
You're very welcome. :)

gumol said:
Is this really the only difference between the mk1 and mk2? I know I'm very (can't think of a word :p maybe... pain in the ass? :D ) but £75 + I guess £15 for shipping is quite a bit for me, and I want to spend this cash wisely :)

Yeah, I'm kinda like that too at times with my electronics-type stuff. Stupid lint gets in all of my screens!!! :angry2: *tries vainly to relax* But, um... Yeah. :D Other than the differences with the screen, the joystick may be diagonally biased. (It favors the diagonals a bit more than the up, down, left, and right directions.)

gumol said:

But hmm... what about the USB cable? If I don't get it with the console than where can I buy it? Is it a common USB cable, or a special and "hard to get" one? :)

I'd rather get a USB card reader. Writing to an SD card while using the GP2Xs USB port could lead to disaster. (Short 'personal experience' story: I had to go to a pep-rally in school, so I decided to load some crap on my GP2X before, but the batteries were low, and it died while writing to the card. So, the card was totally killed, and I ended up playing a lot of the old Vektar demo that was in the NAND. :p ) R.I.P. my 512mb card... Also, even if you need to write something to the NAND, you can copy it from the SD card with the built in "Explorer" application. (By the way, the "NAND" is the built in memory of the GP2X.)

Best of luck if you decide to take the plunge, and get a GP2X! :)

rememberthe8bit said:
I'd rather get a USB card reader. Writing to an SD card while using the GP2Xs USB port could lead to disaster.
There are other uses for it you know ;).

Thank You rememberthe8bit for sharing your wisdom :D

Just one more question :p
Is this joystick from mk1 a really bad problem? Or You know, only a minor disadvantage? In what kind of games it gets really annoying?

And to craigix again :) :
If I buy very soon, is it possible to choose the not First Edition version, because I heard some bad things about them, like defected screens or smth :( though I don't really know if it's true :p
I would be grateful if You could answer :) ( and about the shipping costs to Poland and accessories too :p )

gumol said:
Just one more question :p
Is this joystick from mk1 a really bad problem? Or You know, only a minor disadvantage? In what kind of games it gets really annoying?
It's not a really bad problem at all. I had a GP2x First Edition and the only game where the stick was a problem for me was Pac Man on MAME (a game where the direction stick is all-important). I never noticed any problems with it on any other games.

I lost my GP2X on a coach in Sweden, and I am very seriously thinking about buying another one from this great offer from Craig. But I might by a PSP instead...

Okay, bought one! My buddy will buy my old gp2x and we will d-pad mod both of our units... let the gp2x goodness continue and spread the word!!! weee...

Hello,

We may take the offers at the end of the auction, but they seem to be selling very fast at the moment.

I don't fancy checking for 300mhz, but a *lot* of the original MK1 units reached it just like the original gp32 units could reach 200mhz.

Back