256mb+ Smc???

Website
Visit site
Has anyone tried using a SMC larger than 256MB??? I know it says "up to 128 MB smc" in the insruction book, but why not? Is the hardware not compatible with it?

P.S.: Sorry this is probably a stupid question, but curiosity that anyone has actually tried it over-rules me...

I've never seen proof that SMC's with a capacity larger than 128MB even exist. I've only seen rumors in the past, but never more than rumors.

doesn't it say that it can only be up to 3 volts and I think a 256 mb one is more than 3 volts... 128 is the highest with 3 volts. If its more than 3 volts I think you run the risk of ruining your gp32

I've never seen proof that SMC's with a capacity larger than 128MB even exist. I've only seen rumors in the past, but never more than rumors.
Yea, they have ones up to 1 GB.

doesn't it say that it can only be up to 3 volts and I think a 256 mb one is more than 3 volts... 128 is the highest with 3 volts. If its more than 3 volts I think you run the risk of ruining your gp32
That sounds like it would be true... i'll probably call CompUSA or something about the voltage thing. Maybe having mor voltage for an smc would be like overclocking...

I think someone had tried using a different type of card with an adapter and came to the conclusion that the 128 mb max is programmed into the gp32_console itself but i may be wrong ;)

Yea, they have ones up to 1 GB.

Nope.

You must be thinking of SD (Secure Digital) and CF cards. If you can show me a link to a 1GB SMC cards I'll eat my keyboard.

AFAIK there are no SMC cards larger than 128MB. Not for sale at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother... the bios can only take SMC up to 128 mb, over that... it's useless..., you would have to rewrite the bios... If someone do that... well I will set myself on fire and run down the streets naked with one dildo in each hand and my gp32 right in the...(I seriously hope this wont happen... :eek: ) Anyway... keep trying it but doing all this work just to get extra space when 128 mb is enough to store lots of roms, music, homebrew games and ported games. If you don't have enough... just buy another SMC since 128MB ones are cheap and that below that.. they are rare and they cost alot...

And even if there was a 256mb card, only the first 128mb could be used, if that - simply because the GP32 Bios only has indexes for sizes up to 128. And since each size of SMC has an entirely unique mapping of transistors or whatever, if you put a 256 mb one in, it'd get confused.

Its pretty much the same as with an xD converter.

In addition, anything more than 128 runs at 5v; that doesn't mean it'll fry your GP32, of course. It just means it won't do anything. Even if there was a map in the bios for 256mb cards...

I look up to all of the guys on this forum who can actually bother to explain this over and over again...

Wow... my first chance to say... use the search function.

We have talked this to death and while it has been good conversation, the end result is this = There is NO such thing as a larger than 128 meg smc card. If there was it would be the wrong voltage. If there was the gp32 can only read up to 128 meg, the rest of the card would not be seen.

What is the actual difference between an SD and SMC card, I know one is made by smartmedia but is there any other difference? They look the same from the few pictures I have saw.

What is the actual difference between an SD and SMC card, I know one is made by smartmedia but is there any other difference? They look the same from the few pictures I have saw.

Actually they don't look the same. SD's are physically much smaller. SD's also come in much larger capacities (up to 1GB+) and are used in more devices than SMC.

I believe (but could be wrong) that SD's are originally designed by Panasonic, while SMC's are originally designed by Samsung.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back