2-D universal game engine: SGE

Julie.chan

Website
onpon4.github.io
The Stellar Game Engine (SGE, pronounced like "sage") is a free/libre/open-source game engine for Python, implemented currently via Pygame, though I intend to develop other implementations (particularly Pyglet and PySDL2) at some point in the future.

I haven't done extensive testing of SGE on the Pandora, but I know it works on it, out-of-the-box. Whether or not overclocking is needed would depend on the game.

SGE Homepage: http://stellarengine.nongnu.org

Last edited by a moderator:

Julie.chan

Website
onpon4.github.io
Wow, that's quite a bit of change. So, here's the deal with the SGE: Emilio (the main developer of Stellar) left, and I started trying to make my own "universal level editor". I've abandoned that, however, so the SGE is now just going to be a nice game engine, kind of like what Love2D is.

Version 0.6.0 was released yesterday. I'm hoping this will be the last beta version, and I would like it to be tested. Anyone who is interested in developing games in Python, give this a try. :) It should work out-of-the-box on the OpenPandora.

Julie.chan

Website
onpon4.github.io
The words "last beta" seem to be cursed. New version 0.7.0 is out, and features a number of new features and bugfixes. As always, the Python 2 version should work out-of-the-box on the Pandora. (Technically, version 1.9.2 of Pygame is listed as being needed, but the Python 2 version actually works with Pygame 1.9.0 or later.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Julie.chan

Website
onpon4.github.io
Version 0.8.0 is out, and it comes with bugfixes, huge speed improvements, some new features, and a better Python 2 conversion.

If you're thinking of making a game for the Pandora in Python, try out the SGE! And if you find any bugs, report them. :)