1st charge of 1ghz unit, won't go over 86%

Buzzy42

Still Fresh
Hi,

I received my 1ghz unit today and I am trying to get it charged up and ready to go. I have been busy with other things today so I just plugged in the Pandora and let it sit (it turned itself on and wanted to do the initial setup, which I didn't do-- but the fact it turned itself on makes me think it definitely is getting power) while I was gone for about 4-5 hours. Only a green light came on.

When I got home, since nothing seemed to change, I went through the initial setup so I could get to the OS. I see a battery monitor on the toolbar, but it does not give an indication it is actually charging, just that it's at 86%. It hasn't moved in like an hour and a half of occasional checking, up or down. Should the icon look like it's charging? (I dunno, a little lightning bolt next to it or something?)

I am having trouble finding specifics as to what to expect (is there a separate AC light?). Do I need to put it into "low power" mode to charge? or some trick?

I feel pretty dumb that I can't even get it charged right. :)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken, the pandora has a safety feature so that the battery doesn't overcharge and damage itself.

since you left it for 4 or 5 hours, the battery must've reached its 100% and is discharging as if it was disconnected (I think it starts to charge again once it hits 80%.) just unplug it and plug it in, it should start charging again...

Last edited by a moderator:
or the contacts arent right on the battery-pcb, if previous idea doesnt work, UNPLUG, make sure you UNPLUG and than remove the battery, never ever remove or put in battery while its plugged in, wipe the contacts a little, and put battery in again. if that fails as well, instead of wiping contacts, just place a folded piece of paper against battery and cover so the contacts are all pushed together

Ok, as an update, I used it for a little while then plugged it back in at around 81%. It's now charged up to 90% in about 30 minutes, but there is still no indication of a charge-- no light on the unit, nothing in the icon in the toolbar. Is there just no charging light after 80% or could there be something wrong with my unit?

I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens when it hits 100%...

Thanks for the help, everyone!

There's some bug in the OS - if you connect the charger while booting the Pandora, the LED won't switch on most of the times.

It should work if you boot and plug it in then.

Does the light begin to blink when your battery runs out (below 10%)?

If not, then the LED is probably broken, rare, but can happen.

There's some bug in the OS - if you connect the charger while booting the Pandora, the LED won't switch on most of the times.

I've mentioned it in the Super Zaxxon thread before, but there seems to be a bug (same one?) affecting the WiFi LED too - it doesn't always light when WiFi is activated. Works all the time under older firmware.

Back