180mhz Gp32

tennisbox

Still Fresh
Hi,
can anyone help a new GP32 user. I have a 180MHz BLU machine and have tried several games listed below and cannot get them to work.

Omega Blast using Fenix run time :- just get white screen and machine locks up.Tried latest versions of Fenix and Omega Blast.

Rick Dangerous V1.2 :- white screen or machine reboots.(Rick Dangerous Gold works)

However Pinball dreams demo works as does SCUMM running Monkey Island and Rise of the Triad.

unfortunatly, it sounds as though you have found the not rare at all situation where not all programs will run at your maximum overclock... different programs use the clock speed in different ways... I have a 166 unit, but I can only go 160 in most programs, some others will handle 166 no prob... enjoy your arm 9 processor and all its complicated joys.

:lol: , i have a "unmoded" (or something like that......) GP32 and it seems that it can reach 200 mhz without probleme (i have tried 256 mhz with the colcktester and it rebouted after 30 sec, but no reboute at 200 mhz, and maybe even at 220 mhz, i just don't remember), so the only thing i can say is that you have no luck.... :p

its not that he has no luck... his gp32 will "technically" do 180, just as yours will "technically" do 200. Mine will do 166 in the clock tester but when I actually try to use it at that speed in a cpu intensive program like osnes9gp it reboots me after 15 minutes. Don't be too surprised if your 200 gp32 reboots after 15-20 minutes in Dr. MD

Maybe your GP is possesed...
evilgp9qm.gif

his issue IS due to overclocking. You should stop telling me to read posts more clearly... this is the second time you have said something like that to me Don and it is quite annoying. The guy says he can run at 180 but his apps can't utilize 180... it is because not every app will run at your max clock speed... because each app uses the cpu in a different way...an example is Doom v9, it runs on my machine at 166 all day... but osnes9gp will lock up at 166 but runs fine at 160... he needs to stop trying to run apps at 180 and try a lower speed... anything above 133 is an overclocking issue FYI. And unless you have something helpful to add to a thread yourself... it is not a good practice to just shoot down the help someone else is giving. Maybe you should do a search and find the definition of a troll I posted earlier... I'm trying to help the guy.. you are just stirring things up. Merry Christmas to you.

Also... I think you should find out what the default speed Omega Blast and Rick Dangerous run at when started up is... it sounds as though your gp32 can not handle that speed... try lowering it.

EDIT... the SCUMM games work because the max they will run is 133.

EDIT2... Pinball dreams also runs at 133.

worldwriter posted on Dec 22 2004 at 09:17 PM said:
his issue IS due to overclocking
No it isn't. Don is quite correct - you should read posts more carefully. He only mentions he has a 180mhz blu - he doesn't mention anything about trying to push it that high (and omega blast doesn't run anywhere near 180mhz - no app will run at that kind of speed without starting lower and allowing the user to increase the speed (unless it is a test version or a hex edit)).

tennisbox: could you give us some more info - have you tried any other apps? what launcher are you using? (I'm guessing the normal blu launcher but you never know). With omega blast, have you placed all the files in the .rar in the correct folders?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Don and sorry Tennis Box... I see that I jumped the gun on my diagnosis... however it is strange that the apps that only run at 133 work fine...

So, yeah... sorry.

plus there is no 166 "version"
aren't all gp32 processors 66mhz and are just clocked to 133

it sounds like you might have gotten cheated if yours only goes to 160 in some programs

No, the processor is supposed to be 133 (as in it is made for that), but as we all know can clock higher.

Either Gamepark reccomends 66mhz in their SDK, or that was what their prototype had, or both (can't remember which). That's how your confused.

Thanks to all who have replied.

As I am new to all this I will try and reply as best I can.

I bought the GP32 as a 180MHz device from GBAX. I use the standard launcher that comes with the GP32.
I do not know how to set the speed lower(any help would be appreciated)

As for the Omega Blast game. I installed the Fenix run time in GPSYS and the game fxe and game directory in GPMM.

GBAX also supplied a CD with various games, dev kit etc but not all the games work.

I assume that because I bought a 180MHz gp32 that it runs at 180MHz from switch on.

Is it possible to lower the clock speed via software etc.

Many thanks

tennisbox

The GP32 only runs at the speed that the program is running at.

If you have a 180mhz GP32 then you can run programs up to 180mhz, but you have to set the program to run at 180mhz (if there is a setting for 180mhz).

Some programs run at 66mhz, some at 133mhz and some have variable settings (DRMD, Opensnes, etc)

Back