16bit conversions of 8bit titles

Retroid

Website
Visit site
Just a little opinion here:

Don't bother with a lot of the 16bit conversions of original 8bit games, like Wizball, Barbarian, and a few others.

They're terrible in comparison to the originals, Wizball in particular - I've played all the versions of Wizball I can get my hands on and they all suffer a great deal in comparison to the C64 original.

Just don't presume that because a game has been released later on upgraded hardware that the game itself has been upgraded, too ^_^

thanx for the advice B)

and now that you mention it, i can't really feel/tell the difference between playing the C64 version of Barbarian on Frodo or playing the ST version on Castaway!

however i think i do prefer the 16bit versions of Giana Sisters....well maybe...good thing i can fit both versions on one machine :p

Yeah, I had the same problem.. I must've tried atleast 4 different versions of wizball without any luck ..
A link to a working version of wizball (c64) would be much appreciated :)

Retroid posted on May 9 2003 said:
They're terrible in comparison to the originals, Wizball in particular - I've played all the versions of Wizball I can get my hands on and they all suffer a great deal in comparison to the C64 original.
Hmmm, some conversions were good some were crap.

I'm enjoying playing Nebulus on Castaway, better graphically than the C64 version and more importantly..you can see more of the tower.

Was Chuckie Egg converted to the ST?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, some conversions were good; Nebulus being one of them ^_^

Just quite a lot of the early conversions were half-arsed to say the least. I remember a friend of mine getting hold of the Amiga versions of things like Wizball & Barbarian, automatically assuming that they'd be superb versions, better than the C64 versions. They weren't >_<

A lot of the 8bit games were crafted with love by authors who knew the machines inside out. A lot of the early Amiga & ST games were very workmanlike & looked like they were cobbled together in DPaint & AMOS.

Paradroid is another one... better sound & graphics, yes, but VERTICAL SCROLLING ONLY?? The original C64 version had 8 way scrolling and larger ships. :blink:

Back