Beta Zelda Classic 2.5 Svn

Hitnrun

Well I received the ZC 2.5 SVN code from Dark Nation, I was able to compile it, and it runs. I want to find out some things before setting this as the default pandora version:

- This versions seems to play music from the original zelda .nsf, not from the allegro patches. But I am not sure about the custom quests.
- When I ran if for the first time, it crashed in about 1 minute playing. In the logfile (/tmp/pndrunzeldaclassic-dev.out) the error was on the NSF sound player. But after this, it never crashed again, I tried it for some time with no problems.
- If is a little slower (about 3-5fps less), running at 32-38fps. Still totally playable.
- The memory usage seems the same as the previous version.

I tried running the "4th quest" to test if it works ok, but I can't seem to skip directory to it, someone knows how to do it? (it says 4th quest is not a custom quest).

Also this runs on a different path (zeldaclassic-dev) that the other pnd, you may try to copy your zc.sav from the other version but I don't know if it will work.

Well, basically I want you to help me test it, to see if I should set this as the pandora version, or keep both versions for some time.

http://www.rangelreale.com/pandora/zeldaclassic-dev.pnd

I haven't tried this yet but I would keep both versions going because I"ve seen some quests request that you use version 2.1 instead of 2.5...

But I am by no means a ZC expert, this is my first "real" foray into the experience (and it's been extremely pleasent so far)

...I just hate the menu system...

Ignorant question -- what are the benefits of v2.5?

Speeds might be a concern here;
2.11 @ 750mhz
-Default quest - 60 fps
-End of Time custom quest - 45-55 fps

2.5 @ 750mhz
-Default quest - ~48 fps (54 fps @ 870 mhz)
-End of Time custom quest - 43 fps (49 fps @ 870 mhz)

Other things;
-On the bright side, the program definitely starts up faster on 2.5
-As I expected, couldn't get my saved games from 2.11 to load on 2.5

For the speed issue alone, I might stick with 2.11 unless you have some ideas for optimization (which is always easier said than done).

sebt3 said:
naples39 said:
Some quests have compatibility issues with 2.11...

Yeah, I've seen several of the top-rated custom quests saying that they require older versions of Zelda Classic in order to run properly. Also, I noticed in the Zelda Classic download section, that there is "Zelda Classic v1.92 'The 184 Player'", which is supposed to run quests that were made for older versions. It might be a good idea to maintain builds of v2.5, v2.1x, and maybe one of the older builds.

@Hitnrun: Would it be easy for you to compile a build for the n900 based on your Pandora version? I've gotten hooked on ZC, and I would really like to have it on the go while I'm waiting for my Pandora...

Last edited by a moderator:
sepp256 said:
sebt3 said:
naples39 said:

Yeah, I've seen several of the top-rated custom quests saying that they require older versions of Zelda Classic in order to run properly. Also, I noticed in the Zelda Classic download section, that there is "Zelda Classic v1.92 'The 184 Player'", which is supposed to run quests that were made for older versions. It might be a good idea to maintain builds of v2.5, v2.1x, and maybe one of the older builds.

@Hitnrun: Would it be easy for you to compile a build for the n900 based on your Pandora version? I've gotten hooked on ZC, and I would really like to have it on the go while I'm waiting for my Pandora...

I don't have an n900, but if it runs a default linux environment and has the allegro library, it should compile easily (and if it has ate least 128mb of free memory!)

Hitnrun said:
sepp256 said:
sebt3 said:
naples39 said:

I don't have an n900, but if it runs a default linux environment and has the allegro library, it should compile easily (and if it has ate least 128mb of free memory!)

@Hitnrun: The n900 does have allegro and runs maemo linux. It also uses the same SoC as the Pandora and has the same amount of RAM, so you are right that it should compile easily. Would you be willing to try compiling the source for the n900, or would you suggest how I can obtain Dark Nation's blessing to compile it myself? Here is a VM SDK for n900, if you are interested.

Hitnrun said:
Well I received the ZC 2.5 SVN code from Dark Nation, I was able to compile it, and it runs. I want to find out some things before setting this as the default pandora version:

- This versions seems to play music from the original zelda .nsf, not from the allegro patches. But I am not sure about the custom quests.
- When I ran if for the first time, it crashed in about 1 minute playing. In the logfile (/tmp/pndrunzeldaclassic-dev.out) the error was on the NSF sound player. But after this, it never crashed again, I tried it for some time with no problems.
- If is a little slower (about 3-5fps less), running at 32-38fps. Still totally playable.
- The memory usage seems the same as the previous version.

I tried running the "4th quest" to test if it works ok, but I can't seem to skip directory to it, someone knows how to do it? (it says 4th quest is not a custom quest).

Also this runs on a different path (zeldaclassic-dev) that the other pnd, you may try to copy your zc.sav from the other version but I don't know if it will work.

Well, basically I want you to help me test it, to see if I should set this as the pandora version, or keep both versions for some time.

http://www.rangelreale.com/pandora/zeldaclassic-dev.pnd
4th quest is on the original Zelda itself. It's the island in Lake Hyrule that you have to take the raft to. Not far from the 1st quest/level.

Hope this helps.

Might try it later today.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back