Yoyo's ..opensnes-9x 0.3 Beta ..

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I asked around a few people and everyone seemed down on SNES emulation on the GP; last I tried was the original Snes9x port (slow), and SnesEmu (faster, but no audio etc).. a couple years back. When I got home today I downloaded OpenSnes9x and you know.. it seems alright.

I only tried a few games, but they seamed okay; perhaps a little sluggish but playable.

Killer Instinct
Metal Warriors
R-Type 3

I'm sure they're slower than on a real SNES (I've not fired htse carts up in ages), but after returning to SNES without touching it much.. these seemed okay. (The only SNES in the last while I've futzed with is Tales of Phantasia)

So .. may be slow compared to a real SNES, but they seemed *playable*.

Just seemed odd people were so down on performance :)

Any games particularly playable I should try?

jeff

Wild Wuns (play with no sound), Donkey kong on beta 2 at 166 with sound (at a 22 khz, stereo off, quality 8 bits and fs2), super punchout (wth sound), soulblazer, blackthorne at w/ sound on beta 2 is excellent, contra 3, earthbound, SPACE MEGAFORCE (plays great with sound on beta 2), un squadron, and thats all i can think of. Beta 2 works much better if you want to play a game with sound, otherwise beta 3 is better. I also run all games at 166, though some run well at a lower clockspeed, esp w/out sound)

I like this emu alot, one of my most played.

Sunset Riders is great.

Much better than the Genesis version and very difficult too.

SNES emus simply dont cut it on my 144Mhz gp32

Whats your excuse for being up at 3 in the morning?

tetris attack is simply one of the best games you can play on GP32 - it might run a little smoother on snesemu. also the qbert 3 game runs really well, as do on the ball/cameltry and punch-out!

Space megaforce is good up to a point, once the special effects start getting crazy not so good. Front mission is good but you cant see your movment range because of the transparency problem. Cybernator from what I've play plays fine but you need the be very imaginative with the button setup.

My suggestion: stick to the simplest games you can play.

My all- time favourite is Turrican, especially since the Megadrive version doesn´t work on DrMD. You can play it with sound, fs2 and almost fullspeed even on a 156MHz unit (i have 166MHz). Zelda 3 is also nice with sound turned off at fs2.

super mario world ^^
cant believe noone mentioned it...
for rpg, liveAlive is great, many rather short ones ( you can play the cowboy one in less than an hour), also i like earthbound....it's just sooo cool ;)

smashtv is fun, too, and should run okay, but the gp32 has too less buttons to play it good, so the nes version is better. and i second wild guns. its just cool to run around as a cowboy with two shotguns and kill everything that moves...not to mention running on running cows :D

My main problem with OpenSnes9x is the crackly sound but speed wise I have never had a problem on any of the games I've tried.

Pulstar posted on Apr 2 2005 at 01:09 PM said:
Won't one of you excellent coders take the source code to this emu and fix it up? ;)

Yeah, won`t you? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The DOnkey Kong Country Games run really well other than a few transperancy issues that are quite easy to fix.. And I fing that Harvest Moon is very playable at 166 with sound on(lowest quality settings) at frameskip 2-3 as are many rpgs

Squidge posted on Apr 2 2005 at 04:02 PM said:
Can anyone actually compile this yet?

No. I got devkitadv and the GP32 patch for it. Then changed inline Assembler to work with my gcc. So far so good. Then compile fail at xlatgpsnes.o (No rule to compile...). That is true, there is no xlatgpsnes.c (or something like that).

I dont bother with SNES on GP32 (which is actually the reason I bought one), I really wouldnt mind FF6/ CT running full speed but I'd rather play them on the IBook with a pad than at 90% or so and with bad sound/ transparency issues. - Also I'd rather play stuff that runs 99% or better like NES/ Mega Drive/ GBC etc :)

However, I thing Tetris Battle Gaiden plays okay - Bar transparency issues. Also Sim City ran okay, but I couldnt get into playing a handheld for long periods of time.

gametux posted on Apr 2 2005 at 04:45 PM said:
Squidge posted on Apr 2 2005 at 04:02 PM said:
Can anyone actually compile this yet?

No. I got devkitadv and the GP32 patch for it. Then changed inline Assembler to work with my gcc. So far so good. Then compile fail at xlatgpsnes.o (No rule to compile...). That is true, there is no xlatgpsnes.c (or something like that).

I am sure you could ask Yoyo for help with compiling. I would be pretty sure he would give you guys pointers of how to set things up etc., he seems like a real nice guy. He also said that he is interested in having someone continue his work. Worth a shot.

Back