Your Retail Therapy?

Garrett

Advanced Member
DANGER: Distinct lack of Common Sense follows..

Recently lost my job & let's just say the cash is flowing in the wrong direction atm.

How do I cope?.. batten down the financial hatches, cut my cloth appropriately etc

err not exactly.. £500 just spent on upgrading my PC gaming rig.. don't ask, not even sure why myself.

Any financial frivolity you'd care to share?.. might help me feel a little less like the prize knucklehead I do at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to buy a lot of stuff on impulse. Trying to crack down on that as I never do enough research and that thing always ends up in a drawer somewhere.

Most expensive impulse buy was an AppleTV which lead me to have to buy a new projector because mine didn't have HDMI, an AV receiver because the projector didn't have audio out and speakers because what the hell.

Cost me about AU$2,000 all up and most was bought the same week (Thank goodness for credit!)

So you're not the only one :D

I always bought mostly every console at release or shortly after...just because I had to have it.

Ive not made many purchases recently as all my spare cash goes to funding a video game project.

I did buy an amiga 1200 on impulse about 2 months ago. I'm slowly upgrading it over time. A cf gaming card is to be my next purchase for the 1200.

I had what could only be described as a mania for rc helis a few years ago. I bought so many on impulse and also transformers g1 figures...I have since sold nearly all the figures though.

I was at the airport the other day (Schiphol airport)... and I bought these remote controlled submarines... some USB keys... a selfie-stick and before I knew it, it was above 100 euro!

My therapy: I don't buy /anything/ which is even remotely expensive without thinking about it for at least a few days.

My therapy: I don't buy /anything/ which is even remotely expensive without thinking about it for at least a few days.
Very prudent and quite unlike myself until recently; but I am beginning to change.

I was at the airport the other day (Schiphol airport)... and I bought these remote controlled submarines... some USB keys... a selfie-stick and before I knew it, it was above 100 euro!
Remote controlled submarines are hard to resist. :)

My retail therapy is buying new flavors for my e-Cigarette. And beer.

Retro games work quite well for me, even though I rarely find time to actually play them all ! But I'm not that much of a compulsive buyer in the first place nowadays. Even if I have the money, i lack space so I can't store stuff anywhere anymore. Then it's time to be choiceful about everything you buy... 

I love buying PS Vita games.
I've been doing EXACTLY that too. I haven't played any of them, but I'm constantly grazing for the next purchase to not play. Maybe one day I'll get some time to actually play a game or two...  I've got about 40 btw.

Japan, small apartment living?
What else!

Unless you have a fortune you can't live in anything big in Japan (or then it means you live in the countryside, I guess). 

I've been doing EXACTLY that too. I haven't played any of them, but I'm constantly grazing for the next purchase to not play. Maybe one day I'll get some time to actually play a game or two...  I've got about 40 btw.
That's the kind of consumers game companies love! They buy the games, don't play them, so they don't complain about them either :)

That's the kind of consumers game companies love! They buy the games, don't play them, so they don't complain about them either :)
I don't generally do this - I'm just snapping them up because they're going cheap. I know I'll play them all at some point. I don't collect them just for the sake of it and they are all games I know (or expect) that I will enjoy. My time has been really limited for the last year or so, but I plan to spend more time playing in the near future :)

Back