You Could Make A Gp32 Home Console

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
I've been thinking about this for a while, now, and wondering why no-one has tried it yet. The answer appears to be because it's pointless. It WOULD be pointless, but it would be oh so good.

What you would need:

A GP32 you don't mind destroying
A Plug/Adapter that won't fry your GP32
One of those TV Modules that FX-Man has, that basically don't exist... *Major Problem*
A MashMods Controller Mod, to allow use of a SNES pad
A frame/box for the 'console' and some time to kill.

Essentially, even though some of the stuff is very difficult to source (The TV output, for one) there really is nothing stopping anyone from making themselves a GP32 console. Yes, it's pointless, but I have a feeling it would get a rather good price on Ebay. Hell, if you had enough skill, you could hack at the controller and make a GP32 specific one.

Not sure why I posted this, but eh.

Well, I have a BLU without LCD, so I could use this for testing... don't have the TV module though :/

that would be cool and you can upgraded the gp32's ram while your at it and make it oc faster too

I think for the TV out you would just need a thing that connects to the ribon the screen goes to and it would work at least that's what the GBA TV out did

DemonStar55 posted on Apr 13 2005 at 10:52 PM said:
that would be cool and you can upgraded the gp32's ram while your at it and make it oc faster too

I think for the TV out you would just need a thing that connects to the ribon the screen goes to and it would work at least that's what the GBA TV out did

Won't work, it's MUCH more complicated.
The driver chip in the BLU is meant to send digital signals to the Samsung TFT screen.
There's NO TV encoded signal and no easy way to convert them.

AND: The GP32 doesn't even startup without LCD... so it looks like it needs some information back from the LCD to run...

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Apr 13 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Apr 13 2005 at 10:52 PM said:

Won't work, it's MUCH more complicated.
The driver chip in the BLU is meant to send digital signals to the Samsung TFT screen.
There's NO TV encoded signal and no easy way to convert them.

AND: The GP32 doesn't even startup without LCD... so it looks like it needs some information back from the LCD to run...

What about one of those GBA tv out cables/mods - Would that be convertable?

Last edited by a moderator:
fitzsteve posted on Apr 13 2005 at 11:09 PM said:
What about one of those GBA tv out cables/mods - Would that be convertable?

Nope, it has a totally different LCD and therefore different signals.

Last edited:
I have one it's called a PC with TV out card.

Why make a (somewhat underpowered) handheld into a TV console when a PC does all this ?

I don't get this thread sorry

vic20-ian posted on Apr 13 2005 at 10:30 PM said:

Why make a (somewhat underpowered) handheld into a TV console when a PC does all this ?

did you not read what he said? he stated it will be point less but realy good. ;)

It would be cool because the gp32 does more than emulate <_< We have many excellent homebrew games that would be cool to play on a tv!!! :angry: :D
If it only had emulators, i wouldve answered "Its called a Sega Dreamcast!" :p

vic20-ian posted on Apr 13 2005 at 10:30 PM said:

He also said.

Mark posted on Apr 13 2005 at 09:45 PM said:
Not sure why I posted this, but eh.

I`m just waiting for people to come on here and start shouting Xbox, Xbox, Just get an Xbox. :rolleyes:

Trooper

THE GP32 DOES MORE THAN EMULATION!!!!
That why it would have a point... :p :D
Xbox does not have the gp32's homebrew games!! <_<
Smashgp, drunken frogger, lacuna, gbakiller, Bolkxian, electronia and much more on a TV!!
It would be very cool indeed! B) :ph34r: :D

I could see an original (white) PC Engine case being ideal for this. I also have a flu that I am willing to sacrifice for the greater good.
If someone could tell me how to get the signal onto a TV I would certainly give this a blast. The display is the only thing that is really holding such a project back.

edit - typos

I understand why you would want to play homebrew or commercial games for the GP32 on a TV screen. While I agree it would be cool, however it would be way too much trouble then it is worth.

A lot of the homebrew games have been ported to Dreamcast. Also, it would be easier to just port the GeePee emulator to the XBOX or some thing.

Basically the only reason I could see some one doing this is just for fun to see if it could be done but otherwise it's like trying to load 64 Windows XP on an old I386 with 8Mb of RAM, yeah you could hack your way do it but why would you want to when you could just use a faster PC.

It's an interesting idea but too much trouble then it's worth. If you do get it working please feel free to share with screen shots and prove us wrong.

It would be a wiser use to use a spare GP32 to upgrade the memory or other MODS, just my two cense.

if i cant sell my old nlu i would love to do something like that..
thought about this idea, too... then i asked about a tvout in "cool IDeas and..." they said there wont be one, and i forgot it all again.
anyway a gp32 console would be very cool. you could have a full working usb port under linux without destroying the portability.. (cause its allready ;) )
if someone would come up with a tvout solution i would do it ..

EDIT:
what about a gp32 notebook ;)
put the gp32 in a notebook, GBA SP like case with a usb keyboard and USB hub ;)
that would be a nice project too..

Why not just buy a notebook and get a geepee emulator for the homebrew games? shishishaw!
Seriously, if we just could get a clamshell attachment to protect the front, I would be happy enough. It's fine in the shape it's in now, it just needs a clamshell.

And maybe a little room on the front of the shell to stick in a spare smc when you aren't using it. Now that's classy...

tattooman posted on Apr 13 2005 at 11:36 PM said:
I understand why you would want to play homebrew or commercial games for the GP32 on a TV screen. While I agree it would be cool, however it would be way too much trouble then it is worth.

A lot of the homebrew games have been ported to Dreamcast. Also, it would be easier to just port the GeePee emulator to the XBOX or some thing.

Basically the only reason I could see some one doing this is just for fun to see if it could be done but otherwise it's like trying to load 64 Windows XP on an old I386 with 8Mb of RAM, yeah you could hack your way do it but why would you want to when you could just use a faster PC.

It's an interesting idea but too much trouble then it's worth. If you do get it working please feel free to share with screen shots and prove us wrong.

It would be a wiser use to use a spare GP32 to upgrade the memory or other MODS, just my two cense.

Bluefrog posted on Apr 14 2005 at 12:26 AM said:
Why not just buy a notebook and get a geepee emulator for the homebrew games? shishishaw!
Seriously, if we just could get a clamshell attachment to protect the front, I would be happy enough. It's fine in the shape it's in now, it just needs a clamshell.

And maybe a little room on the front of the shell to stick in a spare smc when you aren't using it. Now that's classy...

you two are fools. Geepee32 only emulates a gp32 at 44mhz. Therefore even if a port just as good as the pc version was made for xbox(or anything else) it wouldnt be playable...
Fools... :angry: :rolleyes:

Why not get a page projecter( we call it the ol' page at are school) and lay the gp32 on it point it to a wall and focous it good as a tv with out the nonexistant signal gen :p .

Bourbon

Back