Release YOP - OP exclusive picture viewer with GUI

commander-beef

Very Active Member
This one just pop ups as a side project when i tested some stuff for DosBox EX. I decided to make a test app for all of You. If it will be interest i'd might implement new options like:

- rotating 

- renaming pictures

- deleting picture

- saving pictures

- tagging pictures [in external file or database]

- fullscreen view..

already implemented:

- Stretching/Proportional view

- slider between filelist / picture to best adjusting

Post your comments here..

Screens:

fa357e92700d21d58f3f9cb154d1fcce.png

cd9cae4c238aa99efdb3d8fea17a8607.png

fc173871b6e50f1edfd6297267460f66.png

Download:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=yop-app

Last edited by a moderator:
Always nice to have some friendly competition :)

Although it looks like we have a different focus: you want to make something with an interface and features, and I'm making a simple but fast viewer.

Even if the license issues could be sorted out to combine our efforts, there's still the technical issue that my approach wouldn't work at all with a windowed application - I'm setting the virtual screen resolution to anything between 100x60 and 1600x960 depending on image size and zoom level, no way you can add an interface to that :)

So let's keep this separate projects. Good luck with yours!

Even if the license issues could be sorted out to combine our efforts, there's still the technical issue that my approach wouldn't work at all with a windowed application - I'm setting the virtual screen resolution to anything between 100x60 and 1600x960 depending on image size and zoom level, no way you can add an interface to that
Unless the interface is made in SDL itself. Using Cairo.  

Even if the license issues could be sorted out to combine our efforts, there's still the technical issue that my approach wouldn't work at all with a windowed application - I'm setting the virtual screen resolution to anything between 100x60 and 1600x960 depending on image size and zoom level, no way you can add an interface to that
Unless the interface is made in SDL itself. Using Cairo.  
Yes but you would have to take into account that you cannot use fixed-size button icons or anything like that - it has to work for arbitrary resolutions, so you would need to dynamically scale everything in your interface - text fonts, button icons, etc. It's not impossible, but it's quite a lot of effort. And it would still look strange, because the more you zoom in, the more pixelated the interface. At 100x60, you don't have a lot of pixels to work with at all.

Interesting project but way too slow for me. I always browse big pictures and at firsted I thought the app has crashed when I tried to get to the next picture.

Although it looks like we have a different focus: you want to make something with an interface and features, and I'm making a simple but fast viewer.

Even if the license issues could be sorted out to combine our efforts, there's still the technical issue that my approach wouldn't work at all with a windowed application - I'm setting the virtual screen resolution to anything between 100x60 and 1600x960 depending on image size and zoom level, no way you can add an interface to that :)

Though I do understand that you don't like to merge your projects, out of interest: Would it be possible to have an interface on the Pandora's screen while watching the pictures on an external screen?

Though I do understand that you don't like to merge your projects, out of interest: Would it be possible to have an interface on the Pandora's screen while watching the pictures on an external screen?
Something like that is probably possible - but I think it would have to use something other than the current version of notaz' SDL, because that assumes you have only one screen surface.

But if it would be possible to tell SDL to do its thing on the external screen, while the LCD screen is not affected, then it would be possible to add an interface on top of my current viewer (e.g. using GTK or whatever), showing the list of filenames and metadata or whatever. Maybe SDL doesn't even need to be changed, maybe it's just a matter of somehow sending /dev/fb1 to the external screen but not to the LCD, so only /dev/fb0 ends up visible on the LCD. Or something like that.

Interesting project but way too slow for me. I always browse big pictures and at firsted I thought the app has crashed when I tried to get to the next picture.
Yeah, i admit it is a bit slow. It might be adjusted here and there with new and unique functions, but if there's no pressure for this kind of app, thats ok. I'll focus on other unfinished projects :D

Back