Yet another TV-OUT topic...

Sigurd

Hi guys,

Im having some issues with figuring out the construction of one of these cables. It seems that Peca is not selling them anymore so I guess I'd have to make one my self if I can hijack a soldering Iron. I have been mainly looking at the TinyBoB solution but im wondering how much work would be neccesary in order to construct one of these. There are many guides available on how to do this, but I'm in doubt whether or not I'll need some extensive experience in electronics in order to match pinouts etc. on the TinyBoB and the external connector.

I was thinking of ordering this:

http://ithic.com/node/7

But as I mentioned I have no clue how much work is needed and if I will even be able to do it with my limited electronics experience.

- Sigurd

Last edited by a moderator:
Well figuring out where to connect the wires is pretty straight forward, it's just a matter of visually tracing the path of the wires.. I think the biggest challenge is soldering experience, the TinyBoB helps a bit, but these are very small connectors and it could be easy to apply too much solder and accidentally bridge a connection or apply too much heat and melt a connector..

Well you could be a very good at it, a hidden talent. If your interested in learning to solder, there are electronic kits out there where you solder on the components yourself from a step by step plan.. it could give you experience enough to try it yourself.

I have some experience in soldering, but I guess I'm mostly nervous about damaging my Pandora in the process. I also can't quite seem to figure out how the connector is supposed to be put on the TinyBoB. But i guess i could just order it and see if i could figure it out, after all i know a fair bit of electronics engineers and other people with electronics experience.

But still my primary concern is hurting the Pandora in some horribly irrevocable way :/ - There are noone at the moment who are producing pre-assembled cables / adapters, right?

I have a couple sets of TinyBoBs/EXT connectors.. I could make a few.. but my work schedule is pretty rough.

But still my primary concern is hurting the Pandora in some horribly irrevocable way
I don't know how you would damage your pandora, you don't solder to it. All the soldering is done on the connector. To check for short circuits use a Multimeter and cross-check all pins on the connector using the meter's diode setting.

@TrashyMG You don't have to do that. :)

I think I'll be able to give it a try, I guess if i tripple-check the connections and solders then it shouldn't be a problem :)

I think I'll order the TinyBoB and the connector from Links store and give it a go, if anything I'll get some experience with electronics which is something i have been putting off for far to long. I have a decent Multimeter and if thats not enough, I can probably sneak in to some of the universitys electronics labs :p

But as far as I can understand is that if I buy the External Connector and the TinyBoB all i need is the following:

- Wires for connections

- RCA cables (video and stereo audio)

- Soldering Tin

- Soldering Iron

- and some of that heat-shrink stuff (called "Krympe-Flex" in danish :) )

All that and a bit of luck should get me trough it fine i guess.

I recommend getting a "helping hand" to hold stuff in place while soldering. Some have a magnifying lens attached, it helped me soldering to the connector directly, i.e. omitting tinyBOB.

But it would be easyer to solder the connector to the Tiny BoB, and then solder the wires on the Tiny BoB?

Even with a person giving you a helping hand :)

I ruined an EXT connector trying to put wires on without a TinyBoB.. although I didn't have a "Helping Hand"

I think I ruined three connectors or so, all while trying to desolder bridged pins^^ it is very finnicky to put a blob of solder on those pins.

Then I made a flat-v-shaped piece from some masking tape, which I could stick between the pins so that all except one were covered. That helped preventing shorts. I also found it helpful to presolder the twisted wire end and pin, then putting them together and applying iron shortly, instead of trying to put a blob of solder on both.

I have no experience using a tinyBOB and wasn't trying to talk people out of bying one, will very likely be a bit easier than what I did :)

Back