XRX X11 web plugin?

And the answer I was going for is "apparently not, but that doesn't matter because HTML5+JS does everything it claimed it did without needing a plugin, so it isn't needed"

Found also this one:

http://xpra.org/

Xpra is 'screen for X', and more: it allows you to run X programs, usually on a remote host and direct their display to your local machine. It also allows you to display existing desktop sessions remotely.
Xpra is "rootless" or "seamless", and sessions can be accessed over SSH, or password protected and encrypted over plain TCP sockets.

And there are raspberryPI build instructions so maybe compilable for Pandora.

If has the same warning as we experience from GameStreamer
Fortunately, for gaming, the resolution (be able to read small letters) is not an issue for gaming

rgb, png encodings are too high-latency.

jpeg is barely usable, even when resizing the application (for instance Abiword) to not full-screen usage.

webm encoding delivers worse quality, but seems a bit more usable

I actually don't agree though, this was more like X tunneling in a browser.

Tunneling in a browser based plugin, not the browser itself. Important distinction.

Back in '97 this probably looked like a good solution to a lack of X11 clients, especially on Windows and Mac, but nowadays you've got so many options, requiring a browser based plugin seems like a step backwards.

Yeah, that's a good point. Nother question though, would it be possible to use the aforementioned HTML5 et al. to do the same thing the plugin used to do, without a plugin?

That seems to be the purpose of it, but sadly I can't seem to get it working. There seems to be some clashes, it claims it works on Python 2.6+ or 3.2+ but I have both 2.7 and 3.5 and can't get it to start under either: 2.7 is giving me import errors and 3.5 is giving me indentation errors.  This is why spaces for indentation is a bad idea rant rant get off my lawn!

That xpra code?  Damn, that's Python written by a shell coder by the looks of it, eugh!  I can see a few odd bits of indentation I've never seen before, which might cause problems with python3, but I wasn't aware of differences between the two so I can't guess which one it's fouling up on.

Mind you, there are a few other differences between python3 and python2, and since this was written for a flavour of python2, I expect you'll get more success taking that approach.  What's the import error you get on python2?

The GateOne that I posted earlier is what I'm trying, actually.

I don't know what magic I made but I finally got it working.  So far just the ssh terminal part, can't figure out how to get the demo'd X11 stuff working but I'm getting there.

edit: on closer inspection, it would seem that the X11 stuff has been in alpha for over two years now, with no ETA on the public beta, let alone official release.  This may not be the solution I thought it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cygwin's X server doesn't work through any HTML5 standard browser, last I checked.

Back