xd to smc converter

Carface

Still Fresh
Ive just seen a converter that PHOCKS was talking about its a XD - SMC converter.
Now the maximum you can store on an XD is 512 mb.
Phocks sais that his converter works when he put it in his GP32, I dont think he tried anything larger than 64m.

Well if we are able to be able to get 512 mb of data on a card using this converter then it will be a pretty big thing I think!

The link is here its at the bottom of the page and the number is 65878.
Go and see and see if we're onto something here.

http://www.targetweb.nl/photo652.htm

I asked this question about 1 week ago (so then you can ask yourself about the "search" option :lol: )
The answer is NO
The bios is only able to handle 128M and cant do better (or you would have to change it)

see you ;)

and BTW its cheaper to buy 4 * 128M SMC than a 512M XD + tha converter

hm i dont think that it is a big thing to change the bios that it support 512mb
spivy what do you say?

in fact the best would be a compact flash II / microdrive to SMC converter...
imagine yourself with a 4G HDD when on a trip filled with MP3 DivX and games....
how cool!
see you ;)

IMHO, the best way to have lotsa space on the GP32 is buy some HD player or something with SMC copy capabilities... Or mabye there is something made especially for copying media cards to its HD, and HD to media card?

IMHO, the best way to have lotsa space on the GP32 is buy some HD player or something with SMC copy capabilities... Or mabye there is something made especially for copying media cards to its HD, and HD to media card?
yes, even something 'crude' like a hard drive attached to the ext port ? with copy to/delete from smc function, wouldnt matter about cards then.. power - how would it be powered ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The power would be easy... Just use battries. (or mabye the ext port supplies enough??) But the ext transfer rate would be muuuuuuch to slow for any normal HD to work... Either someone makes their own harddrive somehow, or someone connets it like this:

Battery Holder <----HD wire from a power supply----> HD <----IDE Cable (or whatever transfer thingy it is)----> 128MB Cache <----Ext port cable----> GP32

But that would be a bit bulky ;)

The bios is only 5% of the problem, every games/application compiled with the gamepark SDK would also have to be modified to use the new "> 128mb" routines.

True, those would not have to be recompiled. Don't forget though that the bios is tiny. The gp32 menu system, freelauncher, pacrom, pclink, etc however would need to be modified depending on the application (eg. if you have original bios, and a single fxe game, then you would need bios+menu+freelauncher modified to make it work, or bios+menu on euro firmware).

I don't think anyone has actually decompiled the menu part of the flash, only the bios part, so modifying it may be a little awkward.

U can get an adaptor for the ipod which lets you write files from the ipods hard disk to a range or media cards (including smc). Then u could swap info about easily enough.

What is the BIOS limitation that limits SMC size to 128mb? I haven't programmed for the GP, but I would have presumed that file access would be through standard FAT access routines and therefore limited by the FAT type on the device, rather than some kind of in-built addressing system?

Gp32 doent have a USB port, the thing that goes into the gp32 is a custom design i think

Gp32 doent have a USB port, the thing that goes into the gp32 is a custom design i think
Hmmm, well I still haven't got my GP32; still waiting for the thing to arrive ;)

But from the pictures on the Gamepark homepage I guess it is one of those "mini-USB" ports. Those are standart for portable devices and there are adaptors and adaptor cables available as far as I know.

But I can't really tell from those pictures :blink:

Edit: hmm ok forgot about he power problem, well maybe someone can build a custom battery powersupply?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back