Xbox360 - Hunk Of Junk

DaveC posted on May 14 2005 at 02:02 AM said:
I izda Boi inda Hood! posted on May 13 2005 at 12:11 PM said:
That's Daft!

Why do they try to spoil our fun? Games are supposed to be fun, aren't they....?

If you wan't to play on a keyboard so bad just use your computer. I can see why they don't want it on a console. Game devs will get lazy and start to slop up their interfaces by relying on using tons of keys for everything like they do on the PC. Playing with a mouse on a console would be gay.
whats your meaning of gay? to be happy or homosexual?

if steering wheels will be allowed to work on the xbox360 then so should keyboard and mouse combinations for FPS games.

how on earth will game developers get lazy? have 2 control options, gamepad or keyboard+mouse

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but that hasn't been confirmed by anyone at all! all the major gaming news sites haven't confirmed it.
it looks like they'll all come with harddrives, but no one knows if the system will be backwards compatible.

edit:
yeah, keyboard/mouse is CRUCIAL for fps games. i used to hate on them before i knew how well gameplay improves with their use. it should be an option only for fps games(who the heck would use it for anything else??), and it wouldn't be hard at all to implement. i mean, the extra coding is minimal, and there are already extra usb ports to take advantage of.

junker posted on May 14 2005 at 05:10 PM said:
yeah, but that hasn't been confirmed by anyone at all! all the major gaming news sites haven't confirmed it.
it looks like they'll all come with harddrives, but no one knows if the system will be backwards compatible.

edit:
yeah, keyboard/mouse is CRUCIAL for fps games. i used to hate on them before i knew how well gameplay improves with their use. it should be an option only for fps games(who the heck would use it for anything else??), and it wouldn't be hard at all to implement. i mean, the extra coding is minimal, and there are already extra usb ports to take advantage of.
yep and put us on our own keyboard and mouse servers away from DaveC with his atari joystick cos lots of buttons confuses him

Squidge posted on May 14 2005 at 12:06 PM said:
Well, the beta versions of Windows 2000 were originally only going to allow software that had been signed by Microsoft as approved, so that they could guarantee software and hardware compatibility (yeah right...). They backed down and made it an option in later betas though, and I'm not sure if the retail version even has the option anymore.

So, them wanting to only accept approved input devices on one of there consoles is not really a suprise...
yup, nowadays even signed software barely works!

junker posted on May 14 2005 at 12:26 PM said:
who cares about RTS :p
RTS are awesome

and you don't need a keyboard and mouse it just helps a lot and is much easier

Starcraft N64 ugh that was annoying

good game tho

edit:

Bah! I have played a huge amount of FPSs on consoles everything from PSX to Xbox and never once had a problem controling them. It is because the games are tuned to work with an analog stick and are fine. If the game is designed well you don't need it. On the PC games are tuned for the mouse because that is the way everyone has gotten used to playing it. More precise with a mouse? Maybe. Do I give a shit? No as long as it is possible to beat the game and I have fun doing it, then a controller is best. It is much more comfortable to hold one controller than being hunched over a keyboard to type commands and sliding a mouse around.

DaveC posted on May 15 2005 at 12:12 AM said:

edit:

Bah! I have played a huge amount of FPSs on consoles everything from PSX to Xbox and never once had a problem controling them. It is because the games are tuned to work with an analog stick and are fine. If the game is designed well you don't need it. On the PC games are tuned for the mouse because that is the way everyone has gotten used to playing it. More precise with a mouse? Maybe. Do I give a shit? No as long as it is possible to beat the game and I have fun doing it, then a controller is best. It is much more comfortable to hold one controller than being hunched over a keyboard to type commands and sliding a mouse around.

Like Blah said, that doesn't mean nobody should be allowed to use a mouse... and anyway, what FPS do you know of that has you type in commands? None that I've ever seen, that's for sure... an FPS that makes you type commands? are you fricken kidding me? If you had to type in commands, you'd be dead before you could do anything. using a keyboard and mouse is a lot better. There are more buttons to use, allowing the game to let you do more things, and a mouse is MUCH better for aiming than an analog stick.

cant be arsed reading all the above, but maybe they done that to try make it still more of a console.

If they allow you to use a Keyboard and mouse, you might as well just use a PC / Laptop :) ;)

Steve-O posted on May 15 2005 at 11:16 AM said:
If they allow you to use a Keyboard and mouse, you might as well just use a PC / Laptop :) ;)
why does xbox live work with a laptop/PC?

is there a standard hardware that PC gamers dont have to spend over $1000 every couple of years?

is there a standard hardware platform that developers can program?

Basically Guys i can see the end of PC gaming in the next 10 years i saw it come and i'll see it go, it makes sense not to have to use a computer as a games console both for the consumer and developers,

This is coming from someone who has played games for over 23 years starting off on zx81's and atari 2600's so i know what im talking about.

i look forward to the day i dont have to upgrade a 3GHz wordprocessor to run a car game.

Now Microsoft gimme XBOX live support for keybaord and mouse gamers

DaveC: there really is no maybe gamepads are not and never will be as accurate/precise for FPS as a fully functioning keyboard and mouse.

markusdragon posted on May 15 2005 at 01:10 PM said:
The lack of pressure-sensitivity on a keyboard makes it useless for modern console gaming.
what about mouse control?

moz posted on May 15 2005 at 11:58 AM said:
Steve-O posted on May 15 2005 at 11:16 AM said:
If they allow you to use a Keyboard and mouse, you might as well just use a PC / Laptop :)  ;)

DaveC: there really is no maybe gamepads are not and never will be as accurate/precise for FPS as a fully functioning keyboard and mouse.

Like I said, you don't need the precision when the games are made for the controller to be fun and playable. I never played Halo and had trouble playing it because I didn't have a mouse, or needed 102 keys on a keyboard to be assigned to every command.

If there was a KB/Mouse option then devs would start optimising for that and get lazy with doing the controller optimizations. After awhile the games would almost require the keyboard which would suck.

No they wouldn't get lazy, because not everybody wants to use a keyboard and mouse(and some games are awkward for keyboards. Have you ever tried playing something like Super Mario Brothers with one? It's possible, but unless you're used to it because of the NES Advantage controller, or you've just been emulating a long time without a PC controller, it's very hard to do), so not everybody would have one for their X-boxes. Some people would get screwed without a keyboard, and then the game companies would lose sales. Maybe you don't have trouble using analog sticks, but I do. It's MUCH more difficult. Pressure sensitivity means nothing. You don't need it at all. What use does it really have? It's just a "cool" new gimmicky feature that isn't really necessary. In SOCOM 2, the harder you press on whatever your fire button is, the farther you can throw a grenade... but what's stopping them from just giving you a timed grenade throwing length bar thing like they did in Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear? I actually liked that better anyway.

moz posted on May 15 2005 at 01:12 PM said:
markusdragon posted on May 15 2005 at 01:10 PM said:
The lack of pressure-sensitivity on a keyboard makes it useless for modern console gaming.
what about mouse control?
Mouse control is the equivalent of only one movement stick though. On an Xbox control pad, you have two analog joysticks, two (i think) pressure-sensitive buttons under those sticks, 6 pressure sensitive buttons and two pressure sensitive triggers. Admittedly, i know of no games that use every single one of these pressure-sensitive buttons, but even if theres one important action assigned to analog, then it becomes disabling when played on a keyboard.

True, but the mouse more than makes up for that one pressure sensitive analog stick. The mouse is much closer to actually aiming the gun than moving the analog stick around is. Besides, I've never found a use for being able to move at more than 2 speeds anyway. Unless I'm playing something like SOCOM 2, I either walk or run... I don't need another speed. And the only reason I need to be able to creep around extra slowly is because it's hard to aim, and I don't wanna go flying into a room and get killed. So to make up for the aiming difficulty, I have to move slowly. But with a keyboard mouse combination, the mouse takes care of that, and the regular walking speed is always just fine.

Back