Xbmc Launch Pnds

Ill try it later but I would have to comment or the coffee that tries to minimize xbmc later.....

I think I've just made xbmc a gui I can switch to...

Now I can test my theory of launching pnds with it :D

Okay I just tried launching a pnd from my gui of xbmc and xbmc quit and then nothing happened (I think it's behaving like it would on a desktop now...)

I'm going to create the run_pnd script again and see if that works...

Wow this is strange.

I can run xbmc as a gui

Right now the laucnher plugin loads a shell script that kills xbmc and then runs the pnd. When the pnd is done running it tries to run xbmc again. But nothing happens... it's as if xbmc doesn't like to be loaded twice.

Any ideas?

HackModford said:
Any ideas?
Not really. My desktop is perfectly fine with booting xbmc twice.

Also, I just booted xbmc on the desktop and executed the following command in a terminal:
Code:
sleep 5; killall xbmc.bin; emacs22-gtk; sleep 1; xbmc
The sleep 5 is so I have time to switch to xbmc and put it fullscreen.
It works completely as intended. XBMC shuts down. Emacs starts. xbmc restarts after closing emacs.

P.S. In the meantime I have worked a bit on writing a .desktop file launcher for XBMC (tested on desktop only).
The basic version is working. It scans for .desktop files (which are automatically created when inserting an SD with PNDs) and structures all applications according to the specified categories. Launching works fine on the desktop, but I expect exactly the same problems as the Launcher you are using on the Pandora.

<edit>spelling</edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Another weird thing is

killall xbmc.bin does not work :(

I basically have the launcher plugin start the shell script

(paraphrasing below)

killall xbmc.bin
sleep 5
launch PND
sleep 5
launch xbmc

When it launches the pnd the app shows above xbmc but sound doesn't work. which indicates something is still running and using the sound. So I don't think killall xbmc.bin is working.

When I launch xbmc as a gui and use the XBMC.quit in the plugin I just restart the gui (maybe it's because xbmc is no longer running?)

So yeah... killall xbmc.bin doesn't work (

HackModford said:
killall xbmc.bin does not work :(
check with ps aux | grep xbmc what user is running xbmc. Maybe it's a permission issue. You can always try killall xbmc as root (sudo killall xbmc or whatever).

Try to launch a terminal instead of a PND, that makes it easier to experiment.

When it launches the pnd the app shows above xbmc but sound doesn't work. which indicates something is still running and using the sound.
I know that linux audio has sucked for many years now, but the fact that two apps apparently can't share the audio device on the Pandora is kinda sad.

I just tried

In my shell script all it does is

xterm

But I get nothing....
This is just weird... I'm going to launch xbmc with root permissions and then try using the killall in a script

HackModford said:
I can't launch xbmc as sudo gaaaaahhhh :ph34r:
Hehe :) I know that feeling.

Could you post your current modifications to the launcher script (code snippet), your shellscript and the way you set up the launcher in xbmc (type of launcher (standalone/emulator) which application it launches, which arguments (and if emulator, which rom))?

I want to see if I can replicate that over here (though it will probably work just fine on the desktop :( ).

Not really... it changes constantly ;)
It's all in the notes on page 3 I think...

Right now I'm going to make sure I can start the op_switchgui.pnd and then try setting it as a default gui.

UHHHHGGGGHHHH

I'm just trying to add the delay back into the launcher script and it's not working. XBMC doesn't like it anymore... I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

(goes of and wails and cries as if his favorite dog has just died just before his eyes because he failed to shut off the automatic lawnmower) :(

The only thing I can figure is I put the delay in the .desktop launching python script that was external...

Can someone write a python script that will launch a pnd using the

pnd_run

provided by the system, and also add a 2 second delay before it actually runs?

Or how would I insert the delay in the xbmc script?

I thought it was

import time
time.sleep(2)

Okay I think it was just something else borked up in the script...

I got it working now...

Now I have a theory that if I set xbmc as the default gui then I can get this to work...

Only one problem... it seems if I launch a pnd that requires the window manager (like the switch gui app) nothing happens. If I can't do that I don't want to try...

That's another problem for another day... but could someone write me a shell script that will change the default gui to minimenu? Then I will test this and let you guys know if I'm right...

Thanx

Back