Wtb: Tapwave Zodiac

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
Anyone have one for sale or know of any retailers seling new/refurbished units?

Never paid much attention to this device back in the gp32 days but it actually looks quite good. Anyone know what state the SNES emulation was in?

If I can get one on the cheap it might do me until I can buy a PSP Slim :).

EDIT: Been looking around, most Zodiacs arn't that cheap. Might buy another GP32 BLU...

I have got one lying around that I don't use too much. Got it for collecting reasons and pda capabilities. How much are you willing to spend? I might sell it if you make me an offer.

Have got the original box, psu is for the US. Got one for my little brother aswell that he doesn't use anymore. Tell me how much you'd want to spend and maybe we can work something out. It's a zodiac 1 (the one with less internal flashmemory) and I didn't get a stylus with it but any stylus or pen works fine.

Snes emulation is crap on this thing. The pda games are fun but emulation is really premature on it.

Hmm, worse than the gp32?

At the time of its launch I remember a lot of people saying it was going to walk all over the gp32 in terms of emulation. Maybe this never happened, I didn't pay much attention to the zodiac scene and most of the community sites seem to have died off.

I will PM you with an offer soon, have to see how much I get in the old pay cheque first, no rush I suppose :).

finty said:
Hmm, worse than the gp32?

At the time of its launch I remember a lot of people saying it was going to walk all over the gp32 in terms of emulation. Maybe this never happened, I didn't pay much attention to the zodiac scene and most of the community sites seem to have died off.

I will PM you with an offer soon, have to see how much I get in the old pay cheque first, no rush I suppose :).
The stick on the Zodiac is analog which pretty much makes SNES unplayable. The GP32 doesn't do SNES that great either unless you don't mind playing without sound. You may be better off with a GP2X F200, SNES is much better as is Genesis/Sega CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the stick is plain shite. Also the zod never had a real homebrew scene. After tapwave announced they were going out of business there was hardly any software released for it as far as I understand. Emulation is a pain on this thing. It's cool for a pda and some of the games are nice too. I also enjoyed it as a movie player as it's battery life is alright and the screen is amazing. Only pda with such a huge and crisp display at the time (don't know if that's still the case).

If you still want it, pm me.

Trying to get hold of a GP32 BLU at the minute, think I have one sorted.

Don't like the GP2X, not sure why though, just never played it when I had it, but I played the gp32 alot.

I seem to remember SNES emulation being playable (not bothered about sound), although that could be the rose tinted glasses ;).

Well, the SNES Emulation on the Zodiac was slightly better than on the GP32 if you didn´t mind the analog stick and the (comparedly good, but necessary) scaling. Megadrive was slower though.
I´d say, if you wanted a PDA with gaming potential and a big screen, the Zodiac was a good choice, but for gaming alone i wouldn´t recommend it.

i have a zodiac and thought the snes emulation was excellent, i didnt need frameskip (without sound) andthe stick never really bothered me...
same goes for MD

if the stick really annoyed people, there was an option to use the buttons as a dpad and the stick as buttons

finty said:
Trying to get hold of a GP32 BLU at the minute, think I have one sorted.

Don't like the GP2X, not sure why though, just never played it when I had it, but I played the gp32 alot.

I seem to remember SNES emulation being playable (not bothered about sound), although that could be the rose tinted glasses ;).
Maybe it was early (GP2X) and the emus were still primitive, and the hardware had bugs (messed up screen, rotated stick). It is good now certainly better than a GP32. The only thing I could see you not liking about the GP2X now is the stick if you get a F100. Just stay away from an MK1. The screen is much brighter and has contrast and it has enough buttons that the GP32 doesn't . It has much better emus as well except TG-16. SNES even runs well in many games with transparencies, MD is perfect.

As far as the Zodiac the battery is built in so you have to take it apart to replace it. I don't even know if you can get the right batteries for it anymore as they are custom for the unit. If you buy a unit with a bum battery, good luck.

DaveC said:
Maybe it was early (GP2X) and the emus were still primitive, and the hardware had bugs (messed up screen, rotated stick). It is good now certainly better than a GP32. The only thing I could see you not liking about the GP2X now is the stick if you get a F100.
Forgot the rubbish battery life, hollow feeling, not fitting the cradle properly, rubber port covers that break off, a low battery warning that hardly ever works, silly software volume controls and poor NAND drivers? The only one that I don't think GPH could've fixed is the battery life, which would be tolerable if the warning ever worked. The GP32 is simply a much nicer machine.

Orkie said:
The GP32 is simply a much nicer machine.
Also fairly hollow feeling, no cradle at all, never mind one it fits, no battery warning (although that's the same as a 2x for practical purposes), shoulder buttons that are prone to stop working, not enough buttons, obselete and very storage space limited media. But it does have boobs...

Stay away from a Zodiac...it's complete garbage!!! The battery dies and you lose all your data every few days, whether you turn it on or not. (And after a few days, you wont be turning it on any more!)

Back