Wtb: Ds Fat Light Panel.

I'm pretty sure it's backlit...

The lighting module is removable if you know how to take apart the LCD. I am working on combining a GBA and a GBA SP screen, so that I can have a lit screen on my original GBA (NOTE: CBA right now, but before anybody posts "Pix or GTFO!11", I can provide photographic proof of this.).

There were several revisions of the DS. Some had a frontlight, like the GBA SP. Others actually used the same backlight module as a ds lite! Even down to the brightness voltage regulator. Nintendo disabled the higher brightness setting so as not to cannibilize the DS Lite sales, but you can unlock them with flashme.

Interesting....

There was a discussion about the different revisions somewhere, gonna find it.

Purely from memory... I believe that the info was:

All DS models with v5 or later firmware have backlit screens.

Many DS models with v4 firmware have a backlit screen, with unconfirmed exceptions.

Several v3 models (Depending on region) had a backlight, mainly the special edition ones, such as the mario kart DS.

V2 is frontlight

V1 is frontlight

Ique DS (The Chinese DS) has backlight starting from firmware 1 models.

Japanese models v3,4,5 all had a backlight, no other info on earlier generations.

Thanks for the info Orkie, I will make a note of it.

Guess a PSP backlight is of no use? I've got some of them.

If you want a frontlight for your GBA, look for an Afterburner (designed to fit inside) or a Halo light (designed to fit outside but has the same light panel as the Afterburner, so if you take it apart, you could fit the panel inside your GBA).

I used to have a GBA and equipped it with the Afterburner, when it was still hot and had a good time with it. Had to wait for the DS Lite before I got something better. GBA SP mk.1 and DS Fat couldn't beat the Afterburner, although after I discovered my DS Fat in fact had the brightness hardware, the screen improved incredibly.

Back