Worth It To Upgrade Firmware

nemt

Website
www.nemesisz.net
I haven't touched the firmware on my GP2X since I bought it, and it shipped with 2.0.0. I don't do anything fancy, I basically just run emulators (DrMDx, PicoDrive, PocketSNES, SquidgeSNES, gpSP, a few others I can't remember) and PrBoom. Is it worth it to update the firmware?

id say upgrade ur firmware to at least 2.1.1 that way some small video and audio flaws are fixed. i didnt update to 3.0 for not much is different than the menu layout and a few visual things here and there.

Upgrade to 2.1.1. Firmwares from 2.1.0 onwards have faster read/writes to SD than previous ones, and that helps in everything from loading regular apps to loading large NeoGeo roms. Firmware 3.0.0 has a slower boot time, so I advise staying away from it.

Can I upgrade right from 2.0.0 to 2.1.1, or do I need to do 2.1.0 and then 2.1.1?

Also, is this the correct file, or is there an official non-korean version?

2.0 to 2.1.1 direct works fine, and the version in the archive is what you want.

its best to upgrade to 2.1.0 first. then go to 2.1.1. i heard you can really screw things up if you dont go in order from oldest to newest.

I updated to 2.1.1 from 2.0.0, I think everything went fine - but for some reason the bootup screen still says version 2.0.0 (the info screen in System say 2.1.1, though). Is this normal?

Yup I did that, but I didn't see any "entry that says patch with a load of numbers after it"

Just the gpupdate.gpe (or whatever). It also did the "patching" screen when I first booted up with 2.1.1 extracted on the sd root - I followed that guide. Also, my card is compatible according to that table (A-Data MyFlash Turbo SD 2GB 150X)

I just tried it again, same results - but my unit is functioning like a 2.1.1 flashed GP2X. The transition from bootup screen to main menu is smooth (no 2.0.0 choppiness) and the 5b7a.gpe version of DrMDx runs.

If you mean the green screen, you haven't flashed the kernel. Put gp2xkernel.img on your SD and hold start and select at bootup. If you mean the black screen, then this will probably always stay like that.

Hmm I see that upgrading from 2.0.0 to a higher one is best but what If I have 2.1.0 already?

Should I upgrade to 2.1.1?

nemt said:
That did the trick - why isn't that mentioned in the guide?
i think the guide was written around when 2.0 came out. upgrading to 2.0 was a bigger deal because there were more changes but i think 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 are just newer builds of the kernel, so you just need to hold start & select.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back